By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the hate for androgynous characters?

XboneWins said:
Vikki said:
XboneWins said:

So basically you want everyone think like you happen to think? That is quite condescending.

No, people should stop judging people on completely irrelivent things. People have the right to think whatever they please, but I also have the right to challenge what they think. 

You are once again putting yourself on pedestal.

First of all, those aren't people. They are video game characters. Have you realized that? I don't see much challenging, I see only you assuming that your views are better than others. It seems a bit asinine to complain about judging people on completely irrelevant things, while you are doing the same thing yourself.

But these people are talking about masculinity and femininity as a whole. They are outright saying that "men should be masculine". 

People judging people based on their appearance is not "an irrelivent thing". It's a serious issue that affects many people. This kind of thinking, that men should be masculine and women should be feminine, is archaic and can limit the ability for a story teller to tell the story that they want, like the afforementioned Raiden, who was lampooned just for being a feminine man in a video game. It's childish and pathetic.

]

Around the Network
Vikki said:
So, I've read through the thread since I last posted and there have been many good arguments put forward. But one kinda bugs me, the one about cliches.

I don't see how a feminine man running about with a huge sword is any less acceptable than a big ass muscley space marine in power arming cutting people up with his gun/chainsaw combo. But both have the right to exist. I just want people to get over the androgynous characters.

I covered this in my post earlier. I argued that the over-muscled space marine is just as tired a character trope as the androgynous male in JRPGs. However, the former is more accepted because the story and characters aren't as important in shooters and the genres where you normally associate those tropes. If the gameplay is good then you won't care about those characters' boring designs and a large percentage of players won't even bother with single-player story mode and just go straight into multiplayer where the character designs are practically irrelevant.

JRPGs and the genres associated with androgynous male characters are often more dependent on the characters and story. In these cases, the character design then becomes essential to the players enjoyment. If you have difficulty relating to a character that's one thing. But having a boring, overused design and character trope is enough to ruin a JRPG experience

Scoobes said:
Vikki said:
So, I've read through the thread since I last posted and there have been many good arguments put forward. But one kinda bugs me, the one about cliches.

I don't see how a feminine man running about with a huge sword is any less acceptable than a big ass muscley space marine in power arming cutting people up with his gun/chainsaw combo. But both have the right to exist. I just want people to get over the androgynous characters.

I covered this in my post earlier. I argued that the over-muscled space marine is just as tired a character trope as the androgynous male in JRPGs. However, the former is more accepted because the story and characters aren't as important in shooters and the genres where you normally associate those tropes. If the gameplay is good then you won't care about those characters' boring designs and a large percentage of players won't even bother with single-player story mode and just go straight into multiplayer where the character designs are practically irrelevant.

JRPGs and the genres associated with androgynous male characters are often more dependent on the characters and story. In these cases, the character design then becomes essential to the players enjoyment. If you have difficulty relating to a character that's one thing. But having a boring, overused design and character trope is enough to ruin a JRPG experience

That's a pretty damn good point! I'll accept that :D Even though I think there are other tropes in JRPGs that don't get nearly as much hate.

]

Vikki said:

But these people are talking about masculinity and femininity as a whole. They are outright saying that "men should be masculine". 

People judging people based on their appearance is not "an irrelivent thing". It's a serious issue that affects many people. This kind of thinking, that men should be masculine and women should be feminine, is archaic and can limit the ability for a story teller to tell the story that they want, like the afforementioned Raiden, who was lampooned just for being a feminine man in a video game. It's childish and pathetic.

Yeah, you sound so mature whining about other peoples views. :) Is it allowed to call other users childish and pathetic? You should try to behave, we are after all civilized people.

Look. People don't like same things as you, get over it. It is not your problem.

ViktorBKK said:
Scoobes said:
ViktorBKK said:
Japanese games never try to conform to the norms of political correctness. If you see a "girly" character in a Japanese game, it's because that's the art direction the developers wanted to take, and nothing else. I really respect that.
In contrast, certain big publishers, namely EA & Ubisoft, are notorious for ruining their games trying extra hard to conform with political correctness. Churches without symbols in Assassin's Creed 3 so that nobody gets "offended", gay characters that feel forced in Dragon Age 2, the list goes on.
If there is one reason that Japan is cool, it's because all Japanese people shit on political correctness. Hurray.

Yes because Japanese publishers never force their devs to do anything based on market trends or political correctness.

Just like Vaan and Penelo were featured in Final Fantasy XII for their artistic merit and not thrown in to conform to Japanese teen stereotypes...

Sorry, I missed FFXII. Last two I played were X(loooong time ago) and XIII. Political correctness is usually against stereotypes, not the other way around. Recent example is Blizzard dev getting harassed by some "journalist" because female characters in blizzard dota look too sexy. And that's "sexist" and "offensive" somehow to the PC crowd.

My point was that Japanese devs are just as bad for meddling in a developers artistry in order to conform to some ideal (be it political correctness, "market research", PR etc.). Publishers will meddle if they think they'll lose customers.

The PC thing can get a bit over the top though. I read an article a couple of months ago about horrible/sexist female characters... unfortunately half of the characters on the list were actually well-written characters with depth and perfectly normal physical design (as in normal clothes, not too revealing etc.).

Around the Network
allblue said:
Because feminine straight man in real life annoys me to no end. In my point of view a man should be brave, manly and have a presence, I'm not talking about physical features, a feminine looking man can have a very manly attitude and still be very attractive.

Women (not girls) in majority, wants a man, not a girly man.

I can think of few things that require more bravery than a grown man putting on a dress and going out in public.

Espically when they are hairy and have a breard.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Ae you still talking about Japanese games?

If people are insulting and harassing you when you walk through the streets because you dress or act like a women, I think those people are stupid and shouldn't do that.

In gaming, a man with eye shadow wearing a purple thong like Kuja in FF9 just isn't what I like.

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:
Ae you still talking about Japanese games?

If people are insulting and harassing you when you walk through the streets because you dress or act like a women, I think those people are stupid and shouldn't do that.

In gaming, a man with eye shadow wearing a purple thong like Kuja in FF9 just isn't what I like.

And I think it's fine to think that! Not liking the look of feminine men is fine. The wider view that all men should be masculine is not fine in my book.

]

Double post

''Hadouken!''

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying that everyone should STFU and enjoy androgynous characters. If you don't like the appearance of Kuja, Raiden, etc then that's fine. Variety is always a good thing when it comes to character design, and just like with overly muscled characters, androgynous characters can be a cliche.

What I'm thoroughly against is the view that there should be no androgynous characters, or that all men should be masculine.

]