By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the hate for androgynous characters?

Kudistos Megistos said:
pokoko said:

Honestly, it kind of annoys me that you clipped out the part where I said, "it just has to do with what people expect, what they prefer, and what they can associate with. Cultural differences aren't about right or wrong," and only included the paragraph where I'm talking about something different than simple preferences.

I responded only to the part that I had an issue with. And even when taken in context, I still think it's an over-generalised statement.

pokoko said:
Also, most of the characters we're talking about aren't effeminate, they're simply closer to being beautiful than handsome.  Most of them kick ass.  If someone is so hung up on the looks of the character that they can't play a game, then yeah, that puzzles the hell out of me.

Looks rarely come on their own tho. In fictional works, they tend to come with certain personality traits and values. Hell, a character's looks are often used as a way of definining their personality and values: you can immediately tell what a character is going to act like just by looking at them. In theory, an effeminate/"beautiful"/whatever male might have a very traditional masculine personality, but in practice, they rarely do. You can blame that on lazy character designers.

pokoko said:
Of course, I admit that I have a real problem playing dumb characters

This will severely limit the number of games you can enjoy.

Yeah, those lazy developers, JRPGs should be all about realism.

Look, if you can't do it, then you can't do it.  That's fine with me.  With the rest, though, I don't even know what you're talking about anymore and it sounds like you're making it a lot more convoluted in order to create more justifications.  If you can only play a He-man character, then more power to you.

Around the Network

pokoko said:

They should be! We can believe the impossible, but not the improbable. And unfortunately, JRPG developers often expect us to believe the improbable.

However, my complaint relating to lazy devs in that particular post had nothing to do with their lack of realism and everything to do with their use of clichés.

I'd really like to know what you think I said, because it's probably very different from what I actually said.

pokoko said:

Look, if you can't do it, then you can't do it.  That's fine with me.  With the rest, though, I don't even know what you're talking about anymore and it sounds like you're making it a lot more convoluted in order to create more justifications.  If you can only play a He-man character, then more power to you.

Who said I can't do it?

I'm not talking about myself. I'm merely hypothesising about what other people's motivations for saying they're too manly to play as a feminine male might be. Which is exactly what you're doing, too. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Vikki said:

So, I'll be the first to say that I dislike most JRPGs for various reasons. One of the main ones being the stories. But whenever I see people talking about why they dislike JRPGs a lot of people reply with, "Anrogynous characters"

Why is that a problem? Why does a male character being feminine in appearance annoy people? Are they just insecure, or is there another reason?

Also, just to point out, this isn't a thread to hate on JRPGs or specific characters. I just want to know why people point this out as a negative when it has no affect on the character.

Because it's shitty character design. Looks like they don't know what they are doing for the most part; don't know the characters mindset. People get the whole gay vibe, and lets admit it, gay people aren't looked upon well in society, but many negative aspects are the fault of gay people themselves. People don't want to play with characters they don't understand, and it's that simple.

Kudistos Megistos said:

pokoko said:

They should be! We can believe the impossible, but not the improbable. And unfortunately, JRPG developers often expect us to believe the improbable.

However, my complaint relating to lazy devs in that particular post had nothing to do with their lack of realism and everything to do with their use of clichés.

I'd really like to know what you think I said, because it's probably very different from what I actually said.

pokoko said:

Who said I can't do it?

I'm not talking about myself. I'm merely hypothesising about what other people's motivations for saying they're too manly to play as a feminine male might be. Which is exactly what you're doing, too. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about anymore.  You're not talking about what I or the OP are talking about and seem to have created your own direction.  That's fine but why you're using my posts for that, I don't really understand.

First, this idea you have that androgynous male characters shouldn't be powerful, I don't really understand it.  Being a pretty guy doesn't mean you can't be skilled in combat or have a gruff personality.  Your stereotyping there makes no sense to me.

Related to that, you keep talking about "feminine" male characters instead of androgynous male characters.  If you want to talk about that, go ahead, but I don't really know what that has to do with what I'm saying.

Ainars.108 said:

People don't want to play with characters they don't understand, and it's that simple.

This is why Surgeon Simulator is my GOTY for 2013. Never have I been able to relate to an MC on so many levels.

pokoko said:

Honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about anymore.

Yes, that's quite clear.

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop you from trying to argue with me. Why would you argue with someone if you don't understand what they're saying? That can never end well.

pokoko said:

First, this idea you have that androgynous male characters shouldn't be powerful, I don't really understand it.  Being a pretty guy doesn't mean you can't be skilled in combat or have a gruff personality.  Your stereotyping there makes no sense to me.

It's society's stereotyping. Society is the one that has a problem with androgynous male leads.

However...

...While it may be plausible for a skinnier man to be good at combat, it's not plausible for him to swing around a sword that weighs more than he does; that's improbable. And while it's not hard to believe that someone who takes care of their appearance might also want to fight, it's hard to believe that someone who spends a lot of time fighting will remain pretty for very long. That's improbable, too.

As for not having a gruff personality, I was making an observation. Pretty guys in fiction usually don't have gruff personalities. That doesn't mean they shouldn't. Maybe they should. But they usually don't. If you want to see pretty guys with gruff personalities, talk to the people who make the games and ask for characters who are like that.

pokoko said:

Related to that, you keep talking about "feminine" male characters instead of androgynous male characters.  If you want to talk about that, go ahead, but I don't really know what that has to do with what I'm saying.

If a man is androgynous, then he's more feminine than the average man, correct? Most men look like men. An androgynous man is feminine compared to the average man. The two terms are almost interchangeable.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

Because in most cases that is all there is to the character, is what defines them. Is worse than female characters uniqueness in groups being that they are female.

That's Japan, though.  They depend heavily on standardized character types.  You can look at a character design and pretty much know their personality.  Tsundere, yandere, and all the dozens of other -dere are some examples.

Pretty guys go beyond just Japan, though, as Korean seems to love that type, as well.

Kudistos Megistos said:
Ainars.108 said:

People don't want to play with characters they don't understand, and it's that simple.

This is why Surgeon Simulator is my GOTY for 2013. Never have I been able to relate to an MC on so many levels.

pokoko said:

Honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about anymore.

Yes, that's quite clear.

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop you from trying to argue with me. Why would you argue with someone if you don't understand what they're saying? That can never end well.

pokoko said:

It's society's stereotyping. Society is the one that has a problem with androgynous male leads.

However...

...While it may be plausible for a skinnier man to be good at combat, it's not plausible for him to swing around a sword that weighs more than he does; that's improbable. And while it's not hard to believe that someone who takes care of their appearance might also want to fight, it's hard to believe that someone who spends a lot of time fighting will remain pretty for very long. That's improbable, too.

As for not having a gruff personality, I was making an observation. Pretty guys in fiction usually don't have gruff personalities. That doesn't mean they shouldn't. Maybe they should. But they usually don't. If you want to see pretty guys with gruff personalities, talk to the people who make the games and ask for characters who are like that.

pokoko said:

If a man is androgynous, then he's more feminine than the average man, correct? Most men look like men. An androgynous man is feminine compared to the average man. The two terms are almost interchangeable.

Again, what on earth are you talking about?  You replied to me, therefore you started arguing with me.  Right?  Yes, I know you were trying to insult me with that statement but at least get the order right.

As far as society having a problem with androgynous characters, I seem to remember that guy in your signature being pretty popular.  Look you're just making up stuff based on how you think it should be, not how it actually is.  Does it really bother you that Cloud and Sephiroth used impossible swords?  Okay, cool.  Maybe you should just avoid JRPGs that aren't realistic?  I don't even know what you want anymore.

Seriously, I don't know what to tell you at this point.  JRPGs are usually not very realistic.  If you can't handle that then don't play them.  Problem solved.

What about women that look like men? Are they in rpgs?

Why don't characters in final fantasy look japanese? Maybe some do?

''Hadouken!''

Why do 16 year olds save the world all the time in those games?
Why cant they be 28 for once?

''Hadouken!''

pokoko said:

Again, what on earth are you talking about?  You replied to me, therefore you started arguing with me.  Right?

I started it and you continued it.

pokoko said:

Yes, I know you were trying to insult me

Not at all, but if that's how your mind works, then it explains a lot of the problems we're having. Don't assume everyone is always being hostile.

pokoko said:

As far as society having a problem with androgynous characters, I seem to remember that guy in your signature being pretty popular.

He wasn't quite so androgynous back in the day. If you cast your mind back, he had very masculine features back in the original game; it's only in the sequels and prequels that he became girly looking.

And he was pretty damn muscular. I can easily imagine him wrecking shit up.

pokoko said:

Look you're just making up stuff based on how you think it should be, not how it actually is.

Care to give examples?

pokoko said:

Does it really bother you that Cloud and Sephiroth used impossible swords?  Okay, cool.

Only a little bit, and it was mostly explained by the story. A lot of other JRPG's don't give us such convenient explanations for how the skinny dude is so fucking strong.

pokoko said:

I don't even know what you want anymore.

I want a double quarter-pounder with cheese. And a nice joint.

pokoko said:

Seriously, I don't know what to tell you at this point.  JRPGs are usually not very realistic.  If you can't handle that then don't play them.  Problem solved.

Again, you seem to think that I'm talking about my own preferences. Maybe I like weird stuff, but recognise that lots of people don't and also recognise why they don't? As it happens, I have a moderate amount of tolerance for JRPG weirdness. I can handle a little bit of it, but not too much.

Ajax said:
What about women that look like men? Are they in rpgs?

That only appeals to a niche  market.

Ajax said:
Why don't characters in final fantasy look japanese? Maybe some do?

Japanese beauty standards.

Although they don't look completely white either. Maybe half- or quarter-Asian.