By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the hate for androgynous characters?

allblue said:
Vikki said:

Well, I'm very sorry that you get annoyed by feminine men and have such archaic views of gender roles.

Oh wow, feels like I'm being accused of sexism here. Yeah you're right it makes no difference that I have abundance of testosterone in my body and not Estrogen. I guess men risking their lives on the front line or doing all the physical labour, being courteous and protective to your girlfriend, opening the door for the ladies I mean they are all archaic as you would put it. 

Women wants to put on make up, wear a very pretty dress, want to be complimented on their look, their hair or how to smell, they want pretty handbags. Men wants to drive a powerful car, they want to be complimented on their musculinity, they want to lead and have their voices heard. This is all inherent part of how we are to our specific gender. Whether you want to accept it or not, this is the norm. Men are attracted to feminity, women are attracted to musculinity. 

That isn´t an accusation, your post is the proof !

Holy shit dude !

Around the Network

I don´t have a problem with most of the designs, honestly.

It kind of fits with the Castlevania series (the whole Vampire-genre has this flair of feminity/homosexuality to it).

What I hate are the grand majority of the modern day Squeenix designs...bah !

For me its not the existence on androdynous characters, its the over abundance of them. The norm for people in western society is for the majority of guys to appear distinctly male (regardless of sexual orientation), so the over emphasise of it within a lot of JRPGs is understandably irkesome. It would no different from any other stylised trait which becomes overused. I think whats also common is the same people find annoyance with it probably aren't big fans of generic anime artstyles.

I think Its one of the main reasons the FF series succeed. They tend to have a great balance of all characters.

teigaga pretty much hit the nail on the head, and I'd like to continue in that vein.

Androgynous characters in JRPGs are now a very old cliché, and clichés always get hated, regardless of what that cliché is. People get bored of them and they recognise that the cliché represents a lack of originality. If only a few JRPGs had androgynous male leads, no-one besides a small group of 12-year-olds and homophobes would care. But when it's nearly every single one, you just think "God, show me something new".

The only exception to this rule is when the cliché is so deeply embedded into a culture that people don't even notice it, or when it makes sense if we apply real world logic. Having a big, muscular manly man with a gun killing things kind of makes sense, so we don't perceive that as a cliché worth bothering with. Having a skinny androgynous man with a ridiculously huge sword killing things as easily as a big muscular man doesn't make sense, so it's noticeable as a cliché. But it would be just as noticeable and receive just as much hate if it were a fat, acne-covered dude with cheeto dust all over his fingers. Or a little kid. Or an old lady. If any of those characters were the heroes in 90% of JRPGs, you can bet people would be complaining just as much.

Take your victim complexes back to tumblr. I heard they're still having a black Friday sale on tickets to the oppression Olympics.

I agree with the OP for the most part; this shouldn't be an issue! It's like talking with some medieval dude reading some of these answers!

I've actually grown very tired of the typical western design of video game males; they're so extremely manly with deep voices, buck loads of attitude and they're so freakiskly muscular they look more like some belgian blue rather than a guy!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

For me personally, it's not the fact that they're an androgynous character so much as there are so many in the JRPG genre with little to separate them. It becomes tiresome when you see the same character tropes and designs carted out. The same goes for the over-muscled dude bros. characters in Western shooters or the overuse of character tropes/designs in any genre.

With that said though, this is more of a problem in JRPGs as they rely more heavily on the characters and story rather than the gameplay which is different to most genres. A stereotypical character in a shooter is more forgiveable as you're playing for the fun of the shooting. In WRPGs the characters are important but you always have an avatar character and personal choices that is more in-tune with your thinking and therefore easy to relate to. In JRPGs however, you can't get away from the characters; the story and the enjoyment of the game is heavily dependent on them.

orniletter said:
allblue said:
Vikki said:

Well, I'm very sorry that you get annoyed by feminine men and have such archaic views of gender roles.

Holy shit dude !

Ugh, I don't get how I was being sexist? I'm aware of gender roles but I don't force it upon people. For example, I always open doors for my girlfriend, help her carry stuffs, sometimes walk my lady friends home etc I'm just doing my part as a man. If any women wants to do the same, by all means. Its the same as soliders in the front line example, I'm sure women are just as capable, my example was to highlight the fact that men have the better capacity in majority of the cases and are better suited for hard labour. 

I don't discriminate females or declare what or what they can't do based on their gender. I'm just saying there are norms widely accepted in society because of our physiological and psycological differences. I don't know what you are accusing me of. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

allblue said:
orniletter said:
allblue said:

Holy shit dude !

Ugh, I don't get how I was being sexist? I'm aware of gender roles but I don't force it upon people. For example, I always open doors for my girlfriend, help her carry stuffs, sometimes walk my lady friends home etc I'm just doing my part as a man. If any women wants to do the same, by all means. Its the same as soliders in the front line example, I'm sure women are just as capable, my example was to highlight the fact that men have the better capacity in majority of the cases and are better suited for hard labour. 

I don't discriminate females or declare what or what they can't do based on their gender. I'm just saying there are norms widely accepted in society because of our physiological and psycological differences. I don't know what you are accusing me of. 

The post before didn't come off great.

@ bolded

That in itself is sexist, albeit to the benefit of the lady friends in question. I suppose the question is do you do that stuff because they're female and you see them as weaker? or because they're your friend/girlfriend?

Im tired of seeing jrpg with rediculess hair. They keep getting more smd crazy just to annoy people more.

Didnt know this existed, cool