By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the hate for androgynous characters?

By "androgynous", I'm going to assume you are referring to both physical appearance and the behaviors of the characters. If that's the case, then the appeal, or lack thereof, of those characters can simply be explained by personal preference, like appeal for any other character type. Of course, there are probably explanations for why people prefer certain characters. While that would require a more complicated discussion, I seriously doubt insecurity is a significant factor.

By the way, while many people may not like androgynous characters, I don't think that's the main reason people dislike JRPGs. But that's another story.

Around the Network

Vikki said:

What I'm thoroughly against is the view that there should be no androgynous characters, or that all men should be masculine.

I don't think this problem is as big as you think. I don't think there's a considerable population vehemently against the mere existence of video games with androgynous male characters; it's just that many people are not personally interested in those games.

Jay520 said:

Vikki said:

What I'm thoroughly against is the view that there should be no androgynous characters, or that all men should be masculine.

I don't think this problem is as big as you think. I don't think there's a considerable population vehemently against the mere existence of video games with androgynous male characters; it's just that many people are not personally interested in those games.

I admit, it may just be the people I've encountered. But you do make a good point in your previous point :)

]

I would love to see a pic of you vikki so we can understand how feminine or androgynous you look as this might really explain the thread. seriously

chocoloco said:
I would love to see a pic of you vikki so we can understand how feminine or androgynous you look as this might really explain the thread. seriously

What are you implying?

]

Around the Network
Vikki said:
chocoloco said:

What are you implying?

I do not think a feminine, and kind of attractive woman would fell so strongly about this issue as say an ugly and, or androgynous woman.

chocoloco said:
Vikki said:
chocoloco said:

What are you implying?

I do not think a feminine kind of attractive woman would fell so strongly about this issue as say an ugly and, or androgynous woman.

Wow. It's depressing that you have such a low view of humanity.

]

Vikki said:
chocoloco said:
Vikki said:
chocoloco said:

What are you implying?

I do not think a feminine kind of attractive woman would fell so strongly about this issue as say an ugly and, or androgynous woman.

If you get depressed that easily it is a shame. So clearly you are afraid. Hell, if a person asked to see me I would not hesitate. Done it for friends on here in the past. Okay, well I stick to my guns and assume my original assumption true.

chocoloco said:
Vikki said:
chocoloco said:
Vikki said:
chocoloco said:

What are you implying?

If you get depressed that easily it is a shame. So clearly you are afraid. Hell, if a person asked to see me I would not hesitate. Done it for friends on here in the past. Okay, well I stick to my guns and assume my original assumption true.

I'm not afriad, I just don't feel that my opinions have anything to do with my physical appearance.

]

Vikki said:
I'd like to point out that I'm not saying that everyone should STFU and enjoy androgynous characters. If you don't like the appearance of Kuja, Raiden, etc then that's fine. Variety is always a good thing when it comes to character design, and just like with overly muscled characters, androgynous characters can be a cliche.

Oh, I agree about overuse of every stereotype, what bugs me about androgynous characters in Japanese productions is their overuse, but I don't like overuse of macho stereotypes in some western productions, either, with the exception of Schwarzenegger, that I like both when he's over-the-top but still serious and when he's self-ironic, OTOH sometimes I become fed-up of Stallone's whipped dog expression, even though he became, with time, capable of self-irony almost as much as Ahnuld.

I had already answered this, and also the sandwich making issue, BTW    http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173381&page=4

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!