By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where should Nintendo go from here? How can they take back the Console Crown?!

I like the tablet controller, but I do wonder if Nintendo should not have sticked with the Wii Motion Plus as the primary controller? Because the tablet is so expensive, I always feel a bit nervous swinging the thing around - I would have far preferred doing crazy motion control gaming with the relatively inexpensive Wii Motion Plus.

So that is my recommendation for Nintendo - send every Wii U owner a free Wii Motion Plus controller, and target games with it.

And forget about the "core" audience - they are infatuated with frame rates, resolutions and the latest gfx buzz word, Nintendo will never compete, they are gone playing their Jaguar core gazillion gflops consoles. Get back to the casual audience with motion control and family gaming.

Around the Network

Nintendo has essentially lost the vast majority of the "first time gamer" or "return gamer" demographic that made the Wii the sales success that it was.

It shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination for anyone to see that it wasn't old time Nintendo fans or the core demographic even if these were the consumers who continued to use the consoles after they had stopped playing Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

Even if Nintendo started selling $199 consoles (and they will get to that price point well before Sony or MS with their 8th gen consoles), there's not going to be any mass market take off as there's simply no hype behind it. The Wii was like capturing lighting in a bottle; that's not something easily repeated and almost never something that can be orchestrated.

There's going to be a lot of good, quality titles on the Wii U; no doubt about it. If anyone's a Nintendo fan, they should just enjoy these games but never bother entertaining the thought that anything will miraculously crown the Wii U the "Console King" of the 8th gen. It's not going to happen.

They never had the crown since the nes and snes.

The wii did sell very well, but that means nothing. Almost all games are crap to play nowaday (except if you're a fan of Nintendo), they aged bad.

Plus the Wii was a casual oriented console, hardcore player turned their back on it. And know that the Wii U try to appeal to them, they don't care anymore.

The Wii was a timed success, but not an overall good thing for Nintendo. Casual are not faithful at all, they just follow the trend. Now the trend is facebook games and smartphones games.

I think the best thing Nintendo can do is what they're doing: increase marketing spend, and pump the games out (as they did with the 3DS). Announcing Pokémon Z as a Christmas 2014 Wii U exclusive wouldn't hurt either (announce at E3 for maximum disruption of PS4 and X1 announcements).

However, I think long term they want to be planning on releasing their next console early; probably around 2017, aim for a 5 year cycle, play the specs game with the next console (in 4 years time could easily outpace the PS4, whilst still keeping the price in the Nintendo Zone), and build up a base of customers in the 2/3 years headstart over the competition for Gen 9.

Or just give us Pokémon Z on Wii U...

PDF said:
I think it was bonus round episode that I saw this. Nintendo needs to realize they're Disney.

As in modern Disney? Because I think Nintendo does look at themselves this way, what they don't realize is they're emulating a 1950s-version of Disney, not the modern version that puts out things like The Avengers and Pirates. 

Around the Network

How do you take back something you never really had?
Nintendo just borrowed the console crown for the 7th generation, Sony has asked for the console crown back and will be recovering it shortly.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

You've really come to the wrong website if that's the case.

spemanig said:
This:

http://youtu.be/t_4A_uClLSU

List was a bit messy.  Didn't agree with #10; #9 or #8, nor #3 or #2 really.  The rest are fairly valid points, but some of them aren't really going to push many consoles on their own.

PDF said:
Soundwave said:
PDF said:
I think it was bonus round episode that I saw this. Nintendo needs to realize they're Disney.

As in modern Disney? Because I think Nintendo does look at themselves this way, what they don't realize is they're emulating a 1950s-version of Disney, not the modern version that puts out things like The Avengers and Pirates. 

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/dse6w2/bonus-round-tough-choices-for-developers

around 11:40

wow now that i have dwelled on the thought, i think the disney comment is absolutely correct

I did a big post about Disney and Nintendo, and how the comparison is correct but the prognosis incorrect. But it wouldn't post.

They should still do a theme park though. I would do anything to make that happen. Anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6j2-mlPpi0