By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where should Nintendo go from here? How can they take back the Console Crown?!

The decision making concerning the wii u has been horrible. They seem to be doing every damn thing wrong. Anyone that disagrees with me look at the sales and tell me what they did right.

However they were from the very start faced with a mega problem:

The success of the wii was the birth of the disappointment of the wii u. How do you approach your next console after the wii? In hindsight it seems like they took the wrong turn but that easy to say now. Hindsight is always in 20 20 vision. This I can forgive.

However at the time many fans wanted more power. I did. I admit it. The disappointment when the specs were released was clear to see. But like any fan should the Nintendo ones pretend it didn't really matter and carried on supporting it knowing full well that the lack of power spelt the end of any worthy 3rd party support. The 3rd party love power. Fact.
The fact that many fans knew this and Nintendo don't is indeed a strange phenomena.

Earlier this year when sales began to go south - far and deep south - alarm bells must have begun ringing. On top of this reports of the third party devs that were applauding the wii u long before launch were abandoning ship.

How do they react? A quick remake of Zelda:WW was never going to be enough and Sonic is pretty much all but played out. Iwata constantly saying this game or that game is going to sell systems is just hot air.

Fast forward to the present and we have SM3DW. So far underwhelming in Japan and N.America and only the most optimistic of people will expect any miracles in Europe. Please note that here I speak of the game accelerating wii u sales, not copies of the game itself. Yes it can sell the wii u over time but that is just going to be slow sales while the other consoles speed away far ahead.

I think the game should have been released after the other two consoles launched to avoid competition for customers money. Not on the exact same days. Google SM3DW two days ago you got glowing reviews, a positive.
Google SM3DW soon and you get "fails to sell the wii u". Even if it does sell a few in the long term.

The Nintendo top brass have hard heads. I am a Nintendo games fan but maybe it is better that the wii u crash and burn to give them the smack in the teeth that they deserve. Maybe that will wake them up because I doubt anything else will. Sometimes hard love is required.

I will however carry on enjoying their wii u games and hope for much better next time around.. hopefully there will be a next time around, actually I am pretty confident of it.

Around the Network

I don't know what you are talking about since Nintendo currently has the crown on home consoles and handhelds For now.