By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NY Times: "Wii U is the only new console with a game worth playing."

Mr Khan said:
Train wreck said:
Don't know why people are arguing with folks over the wii U getting positive news, just let them bask in the glow and have them overhype this news. If consumers cared about the Wii U they would have bought it in droves over the course of this prior year. Its not like they don't know new Nintendo games are coming. I'm guessing the payola that Nintendo sent out to the multiple publications this past week are for former Wii owners who have neglected the system (and even after the press will continue to do so) to take a second look.

payola?

Payola, in the American music industry, is the illegal practice of payment or other inducement by record companies for the broadcast of recordings on music radio in which the song is presented as being part of the normal day's broadcast. Under U.S. law, 47 U.S.C. § 317, a radio station can play a specific song in exchange for money, but this must be disclosed on the air as being sponsored airtime, and that play of the song should not be counted as a "regular airplay".

The term has come to refer to any secret payment made to cast a product in a favorable light (such as obtaining positive reviews).

Some radio stations report spins of the newest and most popular songs to industry publications. The number of times the songs are played can influence the perceived popularity of a song.

The term payola is likely a portmanteau, of the words “pay” and either Pianola (a once-common name for player pianos), or “Victrola”, trade name of the widely known early phonographs made by RCA Victor.[1] Payola has come to mean the payment of a bribe in commerce and in law to say or do a certain thing against the rules of law, but more specifically a commercial bribe. The FCC defines "payola" as a violation of the sponsorship identification rule that in 2005-06 resulted in tens of millions of dollars in fines to cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its what polygon is accused of when it comes to favorable Xbox and less favorable Playstation reviews.  Dont know if payment was involved (most likely not), I just believe this sudden message change (especially from CNET) was orchastred from NOA.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
Mr Khan said:
Train wreck said:
Don't know why people are arguing with folks over the wii U getting positive news, just let them bask in the glow and have them overhype this news. If consumers cared about the Wii U they would have bought it in droves over the course of this prior year. Its not like they don't know new Nintendo games are coming. I'm guessing the payola that Nintendo sent out to the multiple publications this past week are for former Wii owners who have neglected the system (and even after the press will continue to do so) to take a second look.

payola?

Payola, in the American music industry, is the illegal practice of payment or other inducement by record companies for the broadcast of recordings on music radio in which the song is presented as being part of the normal day's broadcast. Under U.S. law, 47 U.S.C. § 317, a radio station can play a specific song in exchange for money, but this must be disclosed on the air as being sponsored airtime, and that play of the song should not be counted as a "regular airplay".

The term has come to refer to any secret payment made to cast a product in a favorable light (such as obtaining positive reviews).

Some radio stations report spins of the newest and most popular songs to industry publications. The number of times the songs are played can influence the perceived popularity of a song.

The term payola is likely a portmanteau, of the words “pay” and either Pianola (a once-common name for player pianos), or “Victrola”, trade name of the widely known early phonographs made by RCA Victor.[1] Payola has come to mean the payment of a bribe in commerce and in law to say or do a certain thing against the rules of law, but more specifically a commercial bribe. The FCC defines "payola" as a violation of the sponsorship identification rule that in 2005-06 resulted in tens of millions of dollars in fines to cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its what polygon is accused of when it comes to favorable Xbox and less favorable Playstation reviews.  Dont know if payment was involved (most likely not), I just believe this sudden message change (especially from CNET) was orchastred from NOA.

I know full well what payola is. I'm just wondering why positive Nintendo news from media outlets has to be payola. Seems a bit of a reach, to me.

The CNET thing was likely the opinions of different editors. The "tech gifts" one made sense if you're thinking just in terms of getting the best "tech" for the holiday season (for someone interested in the nuts and bolts of it, yeah, Wii U is a bad idea compared to the others). A media outlet shouldn't be expected to have one unified voice, especially when it may have different columns that appeal to different interests as in the case of a very large, prominent outlet like CNET, which could lead to conflicting evaluations of the same product without a guy in a Link costume having to fly in from Redmond with a sack of Ruppees (though not actual Ruppees. My god what happened to the exchange rate on those things...)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

its better to miss sony's exclusive than to miss nintendo's exclusive

they should pay justin bieber or miley cyrus to tweet this.... how come company dont pay "pop stars" anymore....

0815user said:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/worst-holiday-tech-gifts/9742-1_53-50158783.html

oh look, wii-u is number 4.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/cnet_outlines_console_purchase_choices_and_highlights_wii_u_as_a_pretty_compelling_buy

Funny how the world works huh.

Around the Network

I never can buy more than 3 games a year, which I'll trade with friends in order to play games I couldn't buy. So no game console ever has a bad enough drought for me. No matter which I buy, it's always a struggle to keep up with my wishlist.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

If you can only afford one system this gen then it's pretty clear to me that you shouldn't get a Nintendo system for the lack of third-party support alone.

But the perfect scenario is to own a Wii U plus either the PS4 or the XBO. That way you get the best of everything.

orniletter said:
Train wreck said:

You are one of the most comically anti-Nintendo elitist guys on this forum.

You literally flock to any remotely positive news and take a huge, huge shit all over them.

I think Ryuzaki and you are secretly best friends

Incredibly low.

Fixed it for you.  I really cant stand Nintendo elitist, epecially those who still think its circa 1993 and Nintendo is still on top of the world.  The ones who only have Nintendo consoles but feel they can easily judge all gaming.

Aerys said:
Anfebious said:
Aerys said:

If i say " 3DS has more games than Vita", its not a fact for you ?

Then you understand, that is not an opinion to say Wii U wont have most of big games of the generation, you know very well almost all  next gen third party games wont be on Wii U.

Nintendo games are big too. In fact they dominate the top 15 on videogame sales. So they will have big games, Nintendo ones at least :P.

Yes some will be big too, but you cant just own a nintendo console if you're a gamer ( the same way you should own a nintendo console)  because you would miss the most part of the generation. (i dont know for microsoft considering what they did with 360  but you'll have to own a sony console at least for all the sony exclusive games and all the games that are not on Wii U )

This is not a fact. This is an oppinion. Just like the OP. I'm a gamer, and I were a purely Nintendo gamer previous gen, with exception of the PS3 I got for free when my brother said he didn't want it anymore. 

Train wreck said:
Zelhawks37 said:

Yes, you sony guys can. Its called defending a coroporation and attacking another, which is clearly the case here (With your payola comment that holds no backing). Pointless if you ask me since corporations don't put emotional investement into their consumers but hey, thats just me. :) Just accept that the Wii U can have positive news and move on. Not difficult.

I say payola because its not everyday you have multiple publications with the same message for a console that was neglicated press wise all year  and have another retract what they just published days before...as if the message was coordinated.  And its not about me accepting the the Wii U can have positive news, its people blowing these sayings out of proportion.  I guess the numbers will speak for themselves soon, they never lie.

What do you mean by that? That the thing that sells the most has the best lineup of games?