By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If we can't agree on who won last gen, who lost it ?

Who finished last?

Wii 67 11.90%

PS3 212 37.66%

Xbox 360 283 50.27%

Total:562

PS3 is the loser, yet funnily enough could end up selling the most.

Disastrous launch. Lost a fuck ton of money. Lost a fuck ton of marketshare. Lost a fuckton of exclusive support. Spent the majority of its life sat in 3rd place.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

Are we talking only sales or are we talking everything else?

Around the Network

Wii can be considered winner just if we consider the gen ending 2010-20111.. they losing serious market from them on can't be considered a win.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

joora said:
gmcmen said:
joora said:
sabastian said:
Nintendo lost.
If you were a gamer with only 1 gaming console in his/her home. You had a good stable of 1st party offerings, but on the flip side you missed out on MANY great 3rd party titles. Borderlands/ Skyrim/ Bioshock/ Dragons Dogma/ Batman AA/ GTAIV/ Fallout and many many more.
The ps3/ 360 had great 1st party titles along with all the offerings of 3rd party titles.
In terms of sales, yes they sold a bucket load, but just look at the present. The ps3/ 360 are still selling well, along with a good stable of games still being released for the ps3 going well into the end of 2014. On the Wii, what is there to look forward to ? Heck even their console sales have taken a nose dive.
On a side note, the PLaystation 3 won last gen.

That's a cute post. Flawless logic.

I had one gaming console in my household (Wii), and haven't missed any of the 3rd party titles that you are reffering to - because there is this thing that's called a PC and it also plays 3rd party games. And guess what - I can also play them on my new PC. And I will be able to play them on the one I will get in the future.

Looking back before the generation even started, nintendo had absolute handicap - weak gamecube sales, rumors that they won't going to do the power fight with the other two in the next gen resulting the constant notion of doom from gaming community, and so on.

Looking now, it was obvious that they won - most profit, most market share, most market share (re)gained. Every other conclusion is pure fanboy BS.

Speaking of loosers, the only one that lost something compared to previous gen was Sony (lost significant market share)

yes, thats not the way the market works, most people only own one console, this is not about you, this is about the market, the reason why those third party games don't sell on wiiu, cause they have no fanbase on that console, cause the wii missed out on them last gen, while you clearly see those third party games are selling well on ps4/xbone, even though they are on 360/ps3.

Sure it isn't how the market works, most people own one console, and tat console is - Wii

And yeah, PC is not a console, so according by your interpretation my original argument is still valid. But I can see what you were trying to tell, and there is a point. but there are also a lot of people owning a PC + console combo.

I have disagree, 360/ps3 are ancient techology, yet multi-platform games which are on all 3, pc,360 and ps3 sell like crap on pc, maybe like 2%-5% of total sales, imagine when ps4 come out, your gonna need a great gpu to run those games, unlike current gen, where any mid range will give you a much better  version then the console version.

blublibla said:

Okay so in terms of pure numbers, the Wii has won last generation. Then there are people who say that in term of revenue, either the X360 or PS3 won. Finally there are thos who say that in terms of image, reputation, following it's rather the PS3 that won.

So If we can't agree on who really won, according to those three criterias (sales, revenue, image), who do you think, lost last generation?

For me it was the X360, by little because it sold and a lot and was a great console. But in terms of sale they sold way less than the Wii, and even the PS3 even though it was released 1 year earlier.

Also in term of image, contrary to the Wii I think the X360 manage to build a great image but it didn't last as long as the today's PS3 which is still seing great releases (Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, GT6, Pupeteer, Personna 5, Gow Ascencion, Ni No Kuni...)

So by very little, Xbox 360 lost last generation.

But I think next generation is going to be very different between Wii U, Xbox One and PS4...

People answering these questions seem to have very short term memory. Sony lost year 1-4 of this current generation.

Xbox 360 was the only 7th gen console in 2005. Won by Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 most likely won 2006 being the only console to have a full year of sales. Close runner up Nintendo. Sony Lost 2006.

Nintendo Wii would go to dominate 2007-2009, runner up Xbox 360 and Sony lost 2007-2008; Xbox 360 would lose 2009 to Sony because RROD.

2010 would mark the end of Nintendo dominance and the rise of PS3, PS3 would win 2010 and closely followed by Xbox360 and Wii.

PS3 as won 2011-2012, still closely followed by Xbox 360. While Nintendo would simply become more irrelevant.

PS3 will win the 7th gen consoles war in 2013, still closely followed by Xbox 360. Nintendo wii is still profitable but been replace by WiiU.

Result: for 9 years of 7th gen console war. First year in 2005 for two months Xbox 360 was only console on market.

Wii- Nintendo destroyed their competition between 2007-2009, was Runner up in 2006 and 2010, has lost the last three years (2011-2013). Clear winner!

Xbox 360: Manage to win the first two years and was a very close runner up for remaining 7 years, except for 2009 because RROD. Microsoft would be second place because overall software sales and the success of Kinect.

PS3: lost the first 4 years of 7th Gen since its release, would go on to win the last 4 years of the console war. PS3 dug a hole that was simply too big to get out of in the first four year. PS3 might of won the console sales war in the last 4 years but lost in terms of overall software. Nintendo and Xbox 360 also had successful add-ons in Wii fit board and Kinect.

gmcmen said:

uh they were never sold out, they were selling at a loss on ebay within a week, i remember people posting pics of 100 wiiu stacked  in best buy, come on now, let keep it honest. they were in stock in most places, nintendo anticapted a huge launch and had many consoles on deck, yet they old sold 400,00 its first month

Please click on my signature link with valid sales data. They sold more than 400,000 in first week.

Here I'll post the thread link.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151051

Around the Network
gmcmen said:
joora said:
gmcmen said:
joora said:
sabastian said:
Nintendo lost.
If you were a gamer with only 1 gaming console in his/her home. You had a good stable of 1st party offerings, but on the flip side you missed out on MANY great 3rd party titles. Borderlands/ Skyrim/ Bioshock/ Dragons Dogma/ Batman AA/ GTAIV/ Fallout and many many more.
The ps3/ 360 had great 1st party titles along with all the offerings of 3rd party titles.
In terms of sales, yes they sold a bucket load, but just look at the present. The ps3/ 360 are still selling well, along with a good stable of games still being released for the ps3 going well into the end of 2014. On the Wii, what is there to look forward to ? Heck even their console sales have taken a nose dive.
On a side note, the PLaystation 3 won last gen.

That's a cute post. Flawless logic.

I had one gaming console in my household (Wii), and haven't missed any of the 3rd party titles that you are reffering to - because there is this thing that's called a PC and it also plays 3rd party games. And guess what - I can also play them on my new PC. And I will be able to play them on the one I will get in the future.

Looking back before the generation even started, nintendo had absolute handicap - weak gamecube sales, rumors that they won't going to do the power fight with the other two in the next gen resulting the constant notion of doom from gaming community, and so on.

Looking now, it was obvious that they won - most profit, most market share, most market share (re)gained. Every other conclusion is pure fanboy BS.

Speaking of loosers, the only one that lost something compared to previous gen was Sony (lost significant market share)

yes, thats not the way the market works, most people only own one console, this is not about you, this is about the market, the reason why those third party games don't sell on wiiu, cause they have no fanbase on that console, cause the wii missed out on them last gen, while you clearly see those third party games are selling well on ps4/xbone, even though they are on 360/ps3.

Sure it isn't how the market works, most people own one console, and tat console is - Wii

And yeah, PC is not a console, so according by your interpretation my original argument is still valid. But I can see what you were trying to tell, and there is a point. but there are also a lot of people owning a PC + console combo.

I have disagree, 360/ps3 are ancient techology, yet multi-platform games which are on all 3, pc,360 and ps3 sell like crap on pc, maybe like 2%-5% of total sales, imagine when ps4 come out, your gonna need a great gpu to run those games, unlike current gen, where any mid range will give you a much better  version then the console version.

Have you counted digital sales in that 2%-5%?

And you won't have to have a great gpu game to run ps4 games, the architectures are far too similar now, and PS4 sports a midrange GPU for todays standards. In two years time, you will be able to buy a PC gfx card that runs PS4 games for peanuts.

I voted PlayStation lost because I like Xbox more O_O did I say that out loud? oooooppppppssssss.......

Jereel Hunter said:

Since we're talking about a war, we can't take simple console sales into the equation - we have to take multiple factors:

1) Console Sales: Wii won PS3/XBox Lost (right now it's basically a tie)
The 1m difference between the 360 and the PS3 is hardly enough to call a single loser

2) Software Sales: Wii/360 Won, PS3 lost.
Wii sold the most software, I believe - but it's games also tend to be cheaper. 360 sold almost as much, and 80 million more units than the PS3

3) Overall Profit: Wii won, PS3 lost
Wii sold the most units/software, and all at a profit. it made billions off of this generation. PS3 is still working to break even for the generation. (360 is somewhere in the middle, they are profitable, but nowhere near Wii levels)

4) Mind share - absolute: PS3 won, Wii Lost
PS3 ends the generation with the most momentum, Wii started strong but ended the generation with no momentum at all. WiiU looks to be another gamecube.

5) Mind share - relative: 360 Won, PS3 Lost
PS2 ended its generation the undisputed king, everyone was going to buy PS3, the other consoles were to be a distant second once again. This generation, the Xbox emerged as a serious contender, and is viewed as pretty much on par with Sony's offerings. Nintendo entered the generation an underdog, surprised everyone, was popular for a time, and then dropped back to to irrelevance.

5) Market share - absolute: Wii won, 360 Lost
Enough said. Wii sold the most units, 360 the least

6) Market Share - relative: Wii/360 Won, PS3 lost
GB and XB combined to be 1/3 of the PS2's sales. Sony entered the generation with all the momentum, all the top exclusive franchises, everything in their favor. They were expected to lose a small % of market share, but maintain dominance and likely keep over 50%. Instead, they went from around 75% to around 30%, and they might hit 35% by the time the PS3/XBox stop selling. They moved from a position of dominance owning a third of the market. Meanwhile Wii and 360 took that lost market share.

Overall, I'd have to say that Wii won, both in absolute and relative terms, it did the best overall. 360 is the runner up as it both had massive gains during the generation and end with plenty of momentum. PS3 lost, as they largely blew their advantages and allowed their competitors to actually... compete. However, they enter this generation with the most momentum to swing it back in their favor.

Agree, sounds very reasonable.

superchunk said:
gmcmen said:

uh they were never sold out, they were selling at a loss on ebay within a week, i remember people posting pics of 100 wiiu stacked  in best buy, come on now, let keep it honest. they were in stock in most places, nintendo anticapted a huge launch and had many consoles on deck, yet they old sold 400,00 its first month

Please click on my signature link with valid sales data. They sold more than 400,000 in first week.

Here I'll post the thread link.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151051

sorry i was talking about first month npd, did you see the report from gamestop which say 2.4 million people are still waiting to get there ps4 preorder. you might have thought it was an impressive launch but i honestly was very worried from the get go when i say the npd numbers with a new mario game i expected the wiiu to be sold out for months, all the gamers i knew never even talked about the wiiu, and i know a lot of people.

PS3 lost obviously.

360 sold what over 3x as many as the original?

PS3 sold how many more times than the PS2? Oh wait it didn't it sold half the PS2.