By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If we can't agree on who won last gen, who lost it ?

Who finished last?

Wii 67 11.90%

PS3 212 37.66%

Xbox 360 283 50.27%

Total:562

Nintendo...

they went from being dominant and nearly completely monopolizing gaming to falling behind sony and microsoft.. in the same gen

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Nintendo...

they went from being dominant and nearly completely monopolizing gaming to falling behind sony and microsoft.. in the same gen

Last I checked Wii was still greatly ahead of PS360.

The winner is the machine that was most profitable.

We are talking about which business won after all.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would have to go with Sony from the business side of things, it was just a rough market for them in general. But I also have to say Sony did an excellent job at the end of the cycle of re-establishing itself and getting back on the right track.

The wii and Nintendo were really the exact opposite of Sony, starting so strong and then just fading away, their entrance into the next gen with wiiu shows exactly how far they have fallen.

So for me it was 360>Wii>PS3 but the way the gen ended you could say it is now an even playing field and this next gen could really show us a big winner.

Carl2291 said:
PS3 is the loser, yet funnily enough could end up selling the most.

Disastrous launch. Lost a fuck ton of money. Lost a fuck ton of marketshare. Lost a fuckton of exclusive support. Spent the majority of its life sat in 3rd place.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

Are we talking only sales or are we talking everything else?

If Nintendo wanted Wii to sell better they could just keep putting games on it. Nintendo killed the Wii, not the market.

There is nothing Sony can do to make the PS3 as profitable as the Wii. Even if they sold a 100 million units. That is why Sony is not the winner.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

People take hardware numbers to mean the wrong thing just because a console sold 150million or 70million doesn't mean the user base is that big.

Failures have to be factored in from overuse. These are not considered as part of failure rates when technically they outlived their life. I havr over several ps2s myself due to wearing them out and also two PS3s atm. I got 2 Wiis also and 2 xbox 360.

Don't forget all the special edition and other colour consoles. I know people that have multiple PS2s/360s/Wiis etc..because they wanted to "collect" the limited edition models and they don't even know if they work or not as they have never been unboxed.

Therefore as userbases are HIGHLY inflated for me the clear winner is the one that makes the company most profit not revenue and this gen it was Nintendo.

From a games perspective well that is personal taste as this is where the answers will vary last gen.

blublibla said:

Okay so in terms of pure numbers, the Wii has won last generation. Then there are people who say that in term of revenue, either the X360 or PS3 won. Finally there are thos who say that in terms of image, reputation, following it's rather the PS3 that won.

So If we can't agree on who really won, according to those three criterias (sales, revenue, image), who do you think, lost last generation?

For me it was the X360, by little because it sold and a lot and was a great console. But in terms of sale they sold way less than the Wii, and even the PS3 even though it was released 1 year earlier.

Also in term of image, contrary to the Wii I think the X360 manage to build a great image but it didn't last as long as the today's PS3 which is still seing great releases (Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, GT6, Pupeteer, Personna 5, Gow Ascencion, Ni No Kuni...)

So by very little, Xbox 360 lost last generation.

But I think next generation is going to be very different between Wii U, Xbox One and PS4...

How so? It went from 150+m (PS2) to 80m and will maybe get to 120m and this is still 30m less.

The PS3 lost in every way.

So it might have won in terms of image and reputation from a Sony fan point of view but not the general public. (fanboy views dont count)

It is tough to call, guess it is based on your agenda, which locks you into a certain argument.

Nintendo - Wii because it sold more lifetime, period. 360 lost as it sold the least.

Sony - PS3 has the most momentum now and outsold the 360.

MS - Xbox brand gained market share gen over gen while Sony lost it. Xbox division profited much more then PS division, which still is in the net red from 2005-2008 losses. PS3 clearly lost.

We can't change our arguments and can't be convinced otherwise lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

the answer is easy....the one which is no longer around.
plus xbox and ps3 had more AAA games and better online

Well, PS3 made a comeback and eventually beat 360 in sales so I can't consider that a failure

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179