By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If we can't agree on who won last gen, who lost it ?

Who finished last?

Wii 67 11.90%

PS3 212 37.66%

Xbox 360 283 50.27%

Total:562

360 didn't win. It's either Wii or PS3 depending on your perspective on things.

Around the Network
sabastian said:
Nintendo lost.
If you were a gamer with only 1 gaming console in his/her home. You had a good stable of 1st party offerings, but on the flip side you missed out on MANY great 3rd party titles. Borderlands/ Skyrim/ Bioshock/ Dragons Dogma/ Batman AA/ GTAIV/ Fallout and many many more.
The ps3/ 360 had great 1st party titles along with all the offerings of 3rd party titles.
In terms of sales, yes they sold a bucket load, but just look at the present. The ps3/ 360 are still selling well, along with a good stable of games still being released for the ps3 going well into the end of 2014. On the Wii, what is there to look forward to ? Heck even their console sales have taken a nose dive.
On a side note, the PLaystation 3 won last gen.

Game quantity is a horrible thing to place your win/loss on.

I had a Wii and PS3.

I owned 17 games on my PS3 (first and 3rd party). Currently own none of them. Sold them usually right when I finished them.

I owned 61 games on my Wii and 23 of those were 3rd party. Of those I still own 51.

You can't claim a winner/loser by your personal preference for games. You can only claim that on sales and profit made. In both cases Wii won by a very large number over PS360.

gmcmen said:

wii won last gen been but nobody cares about its successor , the wiiu finished first last gen, but how will it end up now, its dead in europe, and on life support every where else, i have never seen any console be so succesful then its successor be such a failure. while the xbone and ps4 will be sold for months at a way higher price point, and you say sales and profits is not the only thing that matters, its about controlling the market for 20+l years to these guys not just winning a generation and being booted out.

The successor does not define the winner of last gen.

Wii simply dominated last gen in terms of sales and profits. Wii and Nitnendo won that gen regardless of anything else.

Wii U has started very slow due to many factors, but it will do better and this gen has not be decided yet. MSony are only at launch; even Wii U had very good launch.

superchunk said:
gmcmen said:

wii won last gen been but nobody cares about its successor , the wiiu finished first last gen, but how will it end up now, its dead in europe, and on life support every where else, i have never seen any console be so succesful then its successor be such a failure. while the xbone and ps4 will be sold for months at a way higher price point, and you say sales and profits is not the only thing that matters, its about controlling the market for 20+l years to these guys not just winning a generation and being booted out.

The successor does not define the winner of last gen.

Wii simply dominated last gen in terms of sales and profits. Wii and Nitnendo won that gen regardless of anything else.

Wii U has started very slow due to many factors, but it will do better and this gen has not be decided yet. MSony are only at launch; even Wii U had very good launch.

the wiiu didn't have a good launch, when you factor it never sold out, while almost every othere console you compare its always sell out, it launched with a 2d mario which is bigger thyen anything microsoft and sony launched with, yet the ps4 and xbone, are already catching up to wiiu sales for the whole year in 24 hours, its not wiiu fault as i think its a much better system then the wii, but the wii left a bad taste for many gamers, third part support and hardware wise, thats why the wiiu is failing.

Sega, by not appearing at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

PS3 lost. MS had profits with the 360 and Sony only had losses with the PS3, both consoles are still fighting for 2nd place, and 360 stayed the most on 2nd, so...

Define lose, after which the answer should be obvious.

Yup, depends on how you look at it.

gmcmen said:

the wiiu didn't have a good launch, when you factor it never sold out, while almost every othere console you compare its always sell out, it launched with a 2d mario which is bigger thyen anything microsoft and sony launched with, yet the ps4 and xbone, are already catching up to wiiu sales for the whole year in 24 hours, its not wiiu fault as i think its a much better system then the wii, but the wii left a bad taste for many gamers, third part support and hardware wise, thats why the wiiu is failing.

Wii U did sell out day one. It was very scarce and largely sold out all through holidays. Difference was, Nintendo had stock going to retail every couple days vs once a week. That constant flow made it easier to find one if you just called around.

MSony are still on the once a week rotation.

I have a thread to track all this in my sig.

superchunk said:
gmcmen said:

Wii U did sell out day one. It was very scarce and largely sold out all through holidays. Difference was, Nintendo had stock going to retail every couple days vs once a week. That constant flow made it easier to find one if you just called around.

MSony are still on the once a week rotation.

I have a thread to track all this in my sig.

uh they were never sold out, they were selling at a loss on ebay within a week, i remember people posting pics of 100 wiiu stacked  in best buy, come on now, let keep it honest. they were in stock in most places, nintendo anticapted a huge launch and had many consoles on deck, yet they old sold 400,00 its first month

gmcmen said:
joora said:
sabastian said:
Nintendo lost.
If you were a gamer with only 1 gaming console in his/her home. You had a good stable of 1st party offerings, but on the flip side you missed out on MANY great 3rd party titles. Borderlands/ Skyrim/ Bioshock/ Dragons Dogma/ Batman AA/ GTAIV/ Fallout and many many more.
The ps3/ 360 had great 1st party titles along with all the offerings of 3rd party titles.
In terms of sales, yes they sold a bucket load, but just look at the present. The ps3/ 360 are still selling well, along with a good stable of games still being released for the ps3 going well into the end of 2014. On the Wii, what is there to look forward to ? Heck even their console sales have taken a nose dive.
On a side note, the PLaystation 3 won last gen.

That's a cute post. Flawless logic.

I had one gaming console in my household (Wii), and haven't missed any of the 3rd party titles that you are reffering to - because there is this thing that's called a PC and it also plays 3rd party games. And guess what - I can also play them on my new PC. And I will be able to play them on the one I will get in the future.

Looking back before the generation even started, nintendo had absolute handicap - weak gamecube sales, rumors that they won't going to do the power fight with the other two in the next gen resulting the constant notion of doom from gaming community, and so on.

Looking now, it was obvious that they won - most profit, most market share, most market share (re)gained. Every other conclusion is pure fanboy BS.

Speaking of loosers, the only one that lost something compared to previous gen was Sony (lost significant market share)

yes, thats not the way the market works, most people only own one console, this is not about you, this is about the market, the reason why those third party games don't sell on wiiu, cause they have no fanbase on that console, cause the wii missed out on them last gen, while you clearly see those third party games are selling well on ps4/xbone, even though they are on 360/ps3.

Sure it isn't how the market works, most people own one console, and tat console is - Wii

And yeah, PC is not a console, so according by your interpretation my original argument is still valid. But I can see what you were trying to tell, and there is a point. but there are also a lot of people owning a PC + console combo.