By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If we can't agree on who won last gen, who lost it ?

Who finished last?

Wii 67 11.90%

PS3 212 37.66%

Xbox 360 283 50.27%

Total:562
sales2099 said:
It is tough to call, guess it is based on your agenda, which locks you into a certain argument.

Nintendo - Wii because it sold more lifetime, period. 360 lost as it sold the least.

Sony - PS3 has the most momentum now and outsold the 360.

MS - Xbox brand gained market share gen over gen while Sony lost it. Xbox division profited much more then PS division, which still is in the net red from 2005-2008 losses. PS3 clearly lost.

We can't change our arguments and can't be convinced otherwise lol

sony is clearly the biggest loser, they could have easily crushed the competition, if they launched at 399$ and made the hardware easy to develope for. both nintendo and microsoft came from a market where they were both irrelevant with xbox and gamecube, but they came back strong, but the clear winner is microsoft, it established a huge brand name, and got every single third party on board, while the wii was just a fad, a huge success but still a fad, if it wasn't it succesor would be selling much better to say the least.

Around the Network
Nintentacle said:
360 didn't win. It's either Wii or PS3 depending on your perspective on things.

It's either Wii if you care about consoles sold, or PS3 if you're a fanboy. There is no possible absolute or relative metric in which the PS3 won the generation, unless you discount the Wii entirely.

I wonder if the PS3 can close the software gap of 130 million games in the next years, since last-gen playstations get better/longer support than nintendo and microsoft consoles.

The Wii support died after the Skyward sword release, even one year before the WiiU launch.

Both 360 and PS3 got many good games this year, some of them will have long legs:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/xbox360?sort=desc&year_selected=2013
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/ps3?sort=desc&year_selected=2013

Many other multiplatform games are announced for 360 and PS3, narrowing the software gap to the Wii: Assassin's Creed Liberation HD, Lightning Returns, The Wolf Among Us, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Thief, South Park TSoT, Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Walking Dead: Season 2...

Additionally, the PS3 will narrow the gap to the 360 with Sony-exclusives like Gran Turismo 6, Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD, Persona 5...

I don't think we'll know who won until the day it's no longer a possibility that either the PS3 or 360 can reach the number of Wii consoles sold. Who knows, maybe Sony will continue manufacturing PS3s for another 5-10 years. Threads like this will be fun to look at 5 years from now, regardless of what happens.

The way I see it, Sony lost an enormous amount of market share going from the PS2 to the PS3. To me, that's a loss. I think Sony's done an really great job of recovering though and the loss they went through made them focus their marketing strategy which prepared them for this generation.

Around the Network

No question that Sony lost. They went from clear number 1 to a dead heat with xbox. All three consoles are in danger of getting killed this generation, but Sony's the only one who is looking at bankruptcy rather than simply shifting development.