Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need Nintendo Back in Our Living Rooms

When ?

2014 84 44.21%

2015 11 5.79%

2016 11 5.79%

2017 34 17.89%

Never 50 26.32%

Total:190

Nintendo's always had an easier time selling handhelds than consoles.

The GameCube library slaughters the GBA honestly (which was a lot of old SNES ports), but the GameCube sold no where close the GBA even with the benefit of two extra years to sell without a successor.

Around the Network

No ways, if N releases a new console within the next 2 years, then they should either refund my WiiU or go on without my future support.

Soundwave said:
I think their best bet is probably just to throw everything at the Wii U for the next year or so, and drop the price as aggressively as possible. If sales after Christmas still aren't that great (relative to where they should be), then I would consider the "nuclear" option of a $199.99 SKU minus the tablet screen or perhaps a cheaper controller with a smaller screen.

I do think a Wii U + "PC in a box" hybrid could be interesting from Nintendo though, if they basically said to third parties "OK, you don't want to make games for us, we get it, we're making a version of the Wii U with a higher end PC GPU that basically can run most PC games. To get your PC games on our machine you just have to pay us a licensing fee and ensure controller/quality support" ... that could work as a higher-specced alternative to the Wii U.

But I don't think it'll happen, I suspect if the Wii U is a "failure" (ala the GameCube) in Nintendo's eyes they will move away from the traditional console business entirely and focus on a handheld device which can also double as a device that streams video games to your television while at home.

Again, i'd suggest that Nintendo's in position to do that even if Wii U ends up a roaring success. The gamepad works as a "natural successor" or a "necessary retreat," which is long-term strategic brilliance.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nintendo's third party conundrum is a catch-22 for alot of reasons.

First of all, every gen Nintendo makes it abundantly clear that their consoles are all about Nintendo games, and 3rd parties come second. This is all well and good, but as a result of this practice they refuse to share the spotlight with 3rd party developers and publishers and do things such as promote certain AAA titles as the "definitive" version on their console, something that both Sony and M$ have both been doing for well over a decade now.

For example... any time you see a TV commercial for a major 3rd party release like GTA, COD, Assassin's Creed, Madden, FIFA, whatever, it's almost always followed at the end with a promo for the Xbox or PlayStation brands (i.e. "preorder now for so-and-so console"). And commercials for 3rd party exclusives focus even more on their respective console.

Now ask yourself this question... when was the last time you saw a commercial for a major 3rd party release that was immediately followed with a promo for a Nintendo console? Exactly.

The other half of the catch-22 problem is that Nintendo's main audience just doesn't care that much about these types of games. Just look at COD on the Wii U for example... the biggest selling franchise year after year, and it all BLOPSII managed was an absolutely pathetic 200k sales WW according to this site, and COD Ghosts didn't even register yet on the charts!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

The only thing I don't agree with is that Nintendo needs to replace the Wii U in 2 years. It would put them in an even worse position. If they did that, the Wii U would be a complete waste of time. The least they need to do is make the Wii U profitable enough, and then replace it.

Around the Network
Pillow said:
STRYKIE said:
Pillow said:
-3rd party support is out of the question, only Ubi seems to be porting their games... And more power will not change anything (look at GCN and N64)
-There is not as many hardcore Nintendo fans as PS hardcore fans, look at GCN and N64 again...
-More power means more resources and more time to develop games are needed = less potential to release a wide array of games (do you rather have F-Zero and Starfox, or just one of them but with slightly better graphic?)
-Better graphic in games doesn't mean more sales, it might help but in the end it probably won't balance out the cost of development. (KZ developers stating 4x the cost for PS4 development...)
-Nintendo has just started HD development, they need more time to master it, Wii U is the perfect platform to experiment that.
-Making a new console so soon will make fans lose confidence in the brand. This is not Apple we're talking about.
-The cheapest and weakest consoles tend to sale the best (Wii, PS1, PS2 etc)
-More power means more problems with Hardware (RROD, YLOD, PS4, XB1...) Wii U might be less powerful but it doesn't have hardware problems. Same for Wii. GCN was just a beast on its own...
-Exclusives dictate everything else.
-Nintendo doesn't care if the hardware doesn't sell, their games sells enough to turn a profit.
-Nintendo has other plans in the work. We don't know yet, but by merging their Handheld and Console departments, something big will come in the next 5 years.
-The time used to think about new gameplay ideas and new features for games will be cut down if they have to focus more on graphics to please a minority, and/or have to delay a game even more... (looking at you Pikmin)

3DS domination exists because of the games it has not because it's under-powered. Most people don't even care about the 3D gimmick.
People that care about power purchased a Vita, looks like power isn't what people want eh? Nintendo knows that.

If people don't care about the Wii U gamepad, but it has the games, like the 3DS, it will sell well.
Wii U hasn't sold well during its first year because of the lack of key franchises, a 2D mario on a console is not like a 3D Mario on a console. Pikmin is not well known, and thats it.

Lol. Wooooow dude. So much living under a rock in this post.

Care to explain your disagreement?

I suppose I did come off a little bit dickish by saying that but I'll explain by bolding what they are in your OP:

Bolded 1: Those consoles did essentially fall short due to lacking the resources developers needed to achieve their visions. By the same their full potential was tapped into, the damage was done and we already had systems with more impressive accolades by that time (Dreamcast against the N64, OG Xbox against the Gamecube)

Bolded 2: They've done it before with the Virtual Boy, and the N64 still retained SNES-level sales in North America. (coming up short in Europe and Japan for entirely different reasons)

Bolded 3: You have to look at why those consoles were successful rather than going off of a trivial coincidence though, I don't think the majority of the Wii's demographic could care less if it had Dreamcast visuals or Wii U visuals. Again, the PS1 did essentially win it's generation because of experiences that were impossible on the N64 (you're probably better off comparing it to the Sega Saturn on that front), and the PS2 gave the PS1 install base every reason and more to stay on board.

Bolded 4: Just because a system doesn't have a meme-worthy hardware specific issue spelled out doesn't mean it's immune to hardware problems. The Gamecube and Wii have both had disc drive issues. The NES had the 72-pin error (albeit, I think this one's blown out of proportion given how much more popular than any other system around that time). The Wii U is far too new and isolated, at least for now, to make rational judgement on would be hardware issues.

Bolded 5: If that was the case, the 360 should've stagnated years ago. It's still going strong on the premise of 3rd party support alone since 2010.

Bolded 6: You're right, there's yet to be a 3D Mario game break 15 million yet. History has proven that 2D Mario games are generally the more viable option as long as they aren't marketed and advertised almost identically to their predecessors. NSMBU is the only bad egg so far.

So I'll finish by saying, I don't think it'd be a terrible idea for Nintendo to drop the Wii U in favor of a more tailored system or see it through the rest of the generation either way. They're certainly in a better position to than Sega were on both accounts.

Soundwave said:
Nintendo's always had an easier time selling handhelds than consoles.

The GameCube library slaughters the GBA honestly (which was a lot of old SNES ports), but the GameCube sold no where close the GBA even with the benefit of two extra years to sell without a successor.

I dunno if I'm in a minority here but personally that's EXACTLY what made me go for the GBA and neglect the Gamecube.

lol...you would fail high school business with a SWOT analysis like that, let alone anything more serious.

"Most varied audience"
I can assure you that is definately not a strength. The more varied your audience is, the more competition you have luring away your customers, yet in the threats you only mention MS and Sony who cater mainly to core gamers. What about mobiles and tablets? they are attracting millions of casual gamers.

Brand is also not a strength because a lot of consumers fail to understand wii U and wii are not the same thing. The brand is not nintendo, its the wii U and DS, for sony its playstation and for MS its xbox, those are the brands they are marketing.

3rd party support is not a weakness. The third parties are not out to kill nintendo, they are there to work with nintendo if they can so they are an opportunity, its upto nintendo to go to them to get a list of hardware specs like cerny did for the ps4 and the dualshock, for their next console. If they dont, its a missed opportunity, not a weakness.

Id like to see my first nintendo home consoles when it launches at the same time as a playstation and is approximately equal in power and price.

I still think Nintendo should go with their strength. Mobile.

Create a powerful mobile platform, that is both a gaming system and a mobile phone, and enable it to work with a base station that offers additional features like motion controls, HDD-based storage, and optical media access/storage.

That way gamers can take their games mobile, but still have home game experiences. It wouldn't be as powerful as the Xbox One or the PS4, but it would be a unique experience that takes advantage of Nintendo's hardware strength and takes it took a new level.

Kind of a wierd thread title. If you need a Nintendo system in your living room, then simply go buy the Wii U.