By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FAST Racing NEO powered by 2nd generation engine for Wii U supports and uses 4k-8k textures

Pemalite said:
megafenix said:

pealtie vs renesas

pe,altie vs shinen

sorry, cant believe hi, besides, gaecube had 512 bits of ebedded eory

adecade and only 1024 bits?

yea right

xbox 360 was 4096 bits, anywhere below that is bullshit

8192  bits its the right answer, didnt shinen already schooled youa nd your friend?

renesas latest technoplogy to the point aking it its difficult at other place

shinen saying that wii u edra andwidth is huge and scary

For the record I don't contradict shinen or renesas, you just don't seem to understand that it's the internal bandwidth that's being discussed.
The external bandwidth, that connects the eDRAM to the GPU and/or CPU is substantually lower.

Allow me to break it down for you some more, again.

With the eDRAM you have a bunch of functional units, think of these as peoples houses, in order for all the functional units to talk to each other and pass on work you need a big fat and wide road to connect them all, that's where the internal bandwidth comes into play.
Typically, internal bandwidth is stupidly fast and low latency. (They come with different implementations such as a Ring or Hub bus etc')
However once it comes time for all the work the functional units have done to be passed onto the GPU it needs to exit a much much much slower toll booth on a smaller, skinnier road.

how can the be an extrnalk bandwidth if the wii u edram is in the sae die as the gpu?

just look at the difference dude

gamecube edram or 1tsram embedded in the gpu gives 10gb/s

and thats only for 1 jegabyte

the wiiu edra is packed in the sae die with the gpu just like gaecube had its ebedded emory in the gpu

there is no external bus in the wii u edra with the gpu, the access its straightfowar, just ike xbox 360 rops had full access to the edram  256gb/s since they were on the sae die, the same applies to wii u gpu with the edram, the wii u gpu has full accessto the edram internal bandwidth

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
megafenix said:

pealtie vs renesas

pe,altie vs shinen

yea right

8192  bits its the right answer, didnt shinen already schooled youa nd your friend?

For the record I don't contradict shinen or renesas, you just don't seem to understand that it's the internal bandwidth that's being discussed.
The external bandwidth, that connects the eDRAM to the GPU and/or CPU is substantually lower.

With the eDRAM you have a bunch of functional units, think of these as peoples houses, in order for all the functional units to talk to each other and pass on work you need a big fat and wide road to connect them all, that's where the internal bandwidth comes into play.
Typically, internal bandwidth is stupidly fast and low latency. (They come with different implementations such as a Ring or Hub bus etc')
However once it comes time for all the work the functional units have done to be passed onto the GPU it needs to exit a much much much slower toll booth on a smaller, skinnier road.

He really doesn't know what he's talking about, eh ?

fatslob-:O said:
megafenix said:

well, is not me you should get angry

is shinen, why dont you tweety them about what you think of their comments?

Once again I had already addressed the issue a few pages ago. Shin'en is obviously damage controlling much like how cevat yerli did it for the X1 when developing ryse son of rome. The one who should be angry is you and a few other nintendo apologists like yourself and eyeofcore because they were being partially dishonest about the capabilites of the WII U. 

Microsoft paid Crytek to make the game, and since they pretty much knew the game was mediocre, they better begin "lying" about what's going on.

Shin'en is not in Nintendo's pocket. They're doing this game and promoting it as good looknig because they want. They don't have in any way, to lie like Cevat. And considering Shin'en past works, I think it's safe to expect something better than Ryse, not that's actually much hard lol.

megafenix said:
Pemalite said:
megafenix said:

pealtie vs renesas

pe,altie vs shinen

yea right

how can the be an extrnalk bandwidth if the wii u edram is in the sae die as the gpu?

the wiiu edra is packed in the sae die with the gpu just like gaecube had its ebedded emory in the gpu

there is no external bus in the wii u edra with the gpu, the access its straightfowar, just ike xbox 360 rops had full access to the edram  256gb/s since they were on the sae die, the same applies to wii u gpu with the edram, the wii u gpu has full accessto the edram internal bandwidth

LMAO @ the spelling errors. Boy you need to go to school to learn english and the best place to do it is probably the UK. Bwahahaha.

FrancisNobleman said:
megafenix said:

Once again I had already addressed the issue a few pages ago. Shin'en is obviously damage controlling much like how cevat yerli did it for the X1 when developing ryse son of rome. The one who should be angry is you and a few other nintendo apologists like yourself and eyeofcore because they were being partially dishonest about the capabilites of the WII U. 

Microsoft paid Crytek to make the game, and since they pretty much knew the game was mediocre, they better begin "lying" about what's going on.

Shin'en is not in Nintendo's pocket. They're doing this game and promoting it as good looknig because they want. They don't have in any way, to lie like Cevat. And considering Shin'en past works, I think it's safe to expect something better than Ryse, not that's actually much hard lol.

This doesn't mean that shin'en won't exaggerate the WII Us performance. 

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:
megafenix said:

well, i dont feel 563GB/s as an exageration

besides, sony said was gonna use 1 terabyte of edra on ps4

megafenix said:
FrancisNobleman said:
megafenix said:

well, i dont feel 563GB/s as an exageration

besides, sony said was gonna use 1 terabyte of edra on ps4

Damn, your posts really are awful. LOL 

That 1 TB/s was an EXAMPLE not what they were going to implement. Bwahahaha. 

megafenix said:
Pemalite said:
megafenix said:

pealtie vs renesas

pe,altie vs shinen

yea right

LMAO @ the spelling errors. Boy you need to go to school to learn english and the best place to do it is probably the UK. Bwahahaha.

sorry dude, is not my english, is the keyboard taht is not working properly thanks to my cat

the laugh on you actually

there is no external bus, is direct connection

wii u gpu has direct access to the edram bandwidth just like the xbox rops had full access to the edram of 256gb/s

1024bits doesnt figure as an option for many reasons

1.- gamecube was 512 bits, after more than a decade and only 1024?

2.- 1024 bits doesnt even give the bandwidth i can obtain with just 4 megabytes of the old embedded memory of gamecube

3.- ports would be impossible since the ain ram doesnt hafve uch bandwidth

4.-1024 bits is not renesas latest technology, its 8192 bits

5.- 1024 bits doesnt give you tremendous bandwidth as shinen prices wii u edra, in fact even falls short to todays standrads, even copared to main ram

no, miniu has to be 4096 bits to ake ports even possible, but is very likely to be 8192 bits according to renesas,. shinen, and others

if i need to learn grammar, you need serious schooling on math basics and logic

megafenix said:

There is always an external bus that connects one group of functional units to another, regardless if they are on the same die or not.
Nintendo would have done the math on this and chosen the most optimal amount of bandwidth, one thing is for sure, it's going to be substantually lower depending on the type of bus they used.
If we get back to internal bandwidth... If it used a hub bus, Nintendo would then be able to optimise bandwidth for each individual unit based on need, that then reduces chip complexity and by extension power.

Ring Busses also introduce latency as data will have to travel around a ring, it's a much longer trip than a road that connects to each individual unit.

For example, AMD had a Ring bus in the Radeon 2900 and Radeon 3800 series, which had obscene amounts of bandwidth to all the individual parts of the GPU, when the Radeon 4800 series launched, AMD dropped the Ring bus and instead opted for a hub bus, the important parts got massive amounts of bandwidth, whilst the less memory hungry units got less bandwidth.
The result is, you still get an increase in performance, without any of the waste.
The chip was then connected to video memory at much lower levels of bandwidth, which then had to travel down a much smaller interconnect to reach System Ram.

As for the Xbox 360, initially the eDRAM wasn't on the same die, the eDRAM had a road that connected all the individual parts of the eDRAM with a 256GB/s bus, it still connected to everything else like the CPU and GPU with a much slower 32GB/s bus however.
When Microsoft moved the eDRAM on-die the bandwidth characteristics didn't actually change for obvious reasons.

This Diagram (from wikipedia) explains it perfectly.

Also, keep in mind that the Radeon 290X with almost 20 teraflops of single precision floating point performance actually only has a 512bit memory bus.

The Geforce 780Ti and nVidia TITAN only has a 384bit external memory bus, neither are slower than the gamecube, in fact! All those cards have more performance in terms of floating point than all the next generation consoles combined.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
megafenix said:

There is always an external bus that connects one group of functional units to another, regardless if they are on the same die or not.
Nintendo would have done the math on this and chosen the most optimal amount of bandwidth, one thing is for sure, it's going to be substantually lower depending on the type of bus they used.
If we get back to internal bandwidth... If it used a hub bus, Nintendo would then be able to optimise bandwidth for each individual unit based on need, that then reduces chip complexity and by extension power.

Ring Busses also introduce latency as data will have to travel around a ring, it's a much longer trip than a road that connects to each individual unit.

For example, AMD had a Ring bus in the Radeon 2900 and Radeon 3800 series, which had obscene amounts of bandwidth to all the individual parts of the GPU, when the Radeon 4800 series launched, AMD dropped the Ring bus and instead opted for a hub bus, the important parts got massive amounts of bandwidth, whilst the less memory hungry units got less bandwidth.
The result is, you still get an increase in performance, without any of the waste.
The chip was then connected to video memory at much lower levels of bandwidth, which then had to travel down a much smaller interconnect to reach System Ram.

As for the Xbox 360, initially the eDRAM wasn't on the same die, the eDRAM had a road that connected all the individual parts of the eDRAM with a 256GB/s bus, it still connected to everything else like the CPU and GPU with a much slower 32GB/s bus however.
When Microsoft moved the eDRAM on-die the bandwidth characteristics didn't actually change for obvious reasons.

This Diagram (from wikipedia) explains it perfectly.

nope, not always, in xbox 360 was only between the edram+rops to the gpu fraebuffer

here, just a little on this

"

The one key area of bandwidth, that has caused a fair quantity of controversy in its inclusion of specifications, is that of bandwidth available from the ROPS to the eDRAM, which stands at 256GB/s. The eDRAM is always going to be the primary location for any of the bandwidth intensive frame buffer operations and so it is specifically designed to remove the frame buffer memory bandwidth bottleneck - additionally, Z and colour access patterns tend not to be particularly optimal for traditional DRAM controllers where they are frequent read/write penalties, so by placing all of these operations in the eDRAM daughter die, aside from the system calls, this leaves the system memory bus free for texture and vertex data fetches which are both read only and are therefore highly efficient. Of course, with 10MB of frame buffer space available this isn't sufficient to fit the entire frame buffer in with 4x FSAA enabled at High Definition resolutions and we'll cover how this is handled later in the article.

"

More info on the internal bandwidth of the caches from here:

Both internal memory buffers have a sustained latency of under 5 nanoseconds. The frame and z-buffer memory is capable of 7.68 Gbytes/second of bandwidth. The texture buffer boasts an even faster bandwidth of 10.4 Gbytes/s because it's divided into 32 independent macros, each 16 bits wide for a total I/O of 512 bits. This gives each macro its own address bus, so that all 32 macros can be accessed simultaneously, said Mark-Eric Jones, vice president of marketing for Mosys. 

"

thats why 4096bits is the minium belieavable for wii u edram, and since the main ram doesnt even pack high bandwidth, the 8192bits sounds ore logical

not to ention that shinen can do 720p with double buffering with just about 7 megabytes of edram, while xbox need the full 10 megabytes of edra for the 720p with double buffering

doesnt that kind of suggest that with just 7 megas of wii u edram is the same as the 10 megas of xbox edram bandwidth?
dont forget that the actual bandwidth, despite the rops having full access t the edram bandwidth, is limited later by an external bus of 32gb/s(consider it like a latency problem or something between the rops and the gpu framebuffer), so the performance in wii u case is better since there are no external buses