By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

JGarret said:
This is a crow I´m loving to eat.

The very first trailer Nintendo showed was bad, very uninspired, and with people expecting a "new Galaxy/Mario 64" type game...couldn´t really blame them for being highly disappointed, me included.

Could hardly have said it better.

Around the Network

The announcement trailer sucked balls. Most people began to change their mind as the creative levels were shown.

Gee-Gee said:
prayformojo said:

How is that even possible? The Wii-U install base is too tiny for it to sell well and nothing is going to make people buy it, not even a perfect 10 Mario. I know some people are STILL holding out hope that there is a magic game out there that's going to propel this console to the top of the charts, but it's just not going to happen. It's going to be a stellar game for those who still love Mario, but it's not going to be Titanfall or COD.

NSMB was the most popular Mario ever released, I believe, and look how to follow up did. If that game couldn't sell Wii-U, how is this game going to do it?

So, super mario 3D world has the highest metacritic. The WiiU hasn't been selling but many people are wondering why. My view is that there are no games that are attracting customers. The expected system sellers failed to perform (especially NSMB), so the answer is in the quality. People are not liking the quality, or the lack of fresh ideas in NSMB. 3D World is showing another appeal. With the quality we're seeing, if SM3DW ends up being a system seller, it could very well be the game of the holidays for the family market. So that covers the NSMB point you bring up.

About COD, COD beats 3D Mario in sales, even was the case for Galaxy. It doesn't make it a better game, it really makes it the most popular. McDonalds is popular, but it's not the best food. So COD being game of the holidays is a debatable point. Also, I don't expect families to enjoy COD together (in general). But I expect them to play SM3DW together. That's why I said game of the holidays for the family market. I don't think Titanfall will do as well as Mario 3D honestly. It's exclusive to the X1 and it's made by EA. I don't think it will sell well at all, but I could be wrong. Also, it releases next march, after the holidays.

You make alot of good points, but I just don't think anything will make the Wii-U a commercial success. I've seen things like this before with Dreamcast and Gamecube. The Gamecube had alot of great games. Some of them could make top 10 greatest games of all time list. But the system never picked up in sales because at that time, consumers just wanted something else instead. That's my argument. That consumers just want other things right now.

People wanting a Galaxy 3 need to check themselves at the door anyway. We do NOT need yet another "Mario in space", gravity/platetoid physics game. The first one was amazing. The second was an unnecessary "Lost Levels" type of excercise. A third in the same vein would be pointless, except for "them graphics".

It's ironic how people complain that the 2D Mario games, for example, are "always the same", yet they want a third helping of "more of the same" with a third Galaxy game.

Quite frankly, while I was initially disappointed that this wasn't my dream "Epic 3D reimagining Mario 3" type game, which I may or may not actually ever get, I quickly got over my disappointment and even during E3 was gaining enthusiasm for this game. So I've always thought it looked fun and was on board with it. Now the rest of the gaming world (or at least a good majority) have caught up with that sentiment. Sure, they could've shown more at that first reveal video........but what ever happened to saving some things for surprise? Personally, I'm glad that a lot of this game is still going to be unspoiled for me (even though you have to avoid spoiler videos on the internet left and right).

So glad to see this (although I JUST missed earning points in the prediction league).

Proud to say I was on board from day one. The game looks great and I can't wait to experience it for myself.

Around the Network

Too bad GTAV is rated 97 for both ps3 and 360 versions.

Frequency said:

In tbone's defense, a game released on September 17th doesn't exactly qualify as a holiday title (although the game will undoubtedly sell well over the holidays).

Signature goes here!

Frequency said:

Yes because a game released in summer clearly counts as a holiday game. Read the thread's title. o_O

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

i was wrong... i thought it will be pan by the critics...

but i never doubted this game to be good :) ok maybe a little bit...

WagnerPaiva said:
It really looks cool, if only nintendo had some trophies, then it would be a sure purchase for me, I really like trophies =/

But Wii U has: "Accomplishments" and you can only post then on MiiVerse

and I don't know if 3D World will have, but Mass Effect 3, Deus-Ex, Injustice and others have

Click HERE and be happy