By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

Dv8thwonder said:

Excellent... had a good laugh.

Around the Network

now that we're on this subject, i wonder how a Megaman/Zero game developed by the people who Metroid Fusion would look like :P

Soundwave said:
 As an action sci-fi game taken on its own merits and ignoring the cheesy writing of the plot, the game wasn't that bad honestly.

Even if you remove the awful story, I'd still say it's a bad game. 

The controls were horrid; jumping felt off, tapping the D-Pad to dodge was a pain in the arse, changing my grip on the controller to go into first person view was awkward. I felt like I was fighting the controls the whole time.

Simply changing the control scheme to Wiimote and Nunchuk with dodging mapped to a button and better jumping physics would have made a big difference.

Then there were the mind-bogglingly awful design choices, like forcing you to walk slowly through certain segments, no health pickups, not being able to shoot missiles while in third person, and the annoyingly precise "where's wally" pixel hunt bits.

Metroid Other M is a 3/10 game as is, but even with a better story it would still be a 4/10.

Mr Khan said:
F0X said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I knew it was gonna be good from when it got revealed, I even made a thread defending it.

I made this thread.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162072&page=1

I was seriously considering leaving VGChartz around that time. So many people upset for no reason despite Nintendo delivering some serious goods at E3 2013.

You can't take our Nintendo community too seriously.

What Nintendo Community?

Frequency said:
tbone51 said:
Frequency said:
Too bad GTAV is rated 97 for both ps3 and 360 versions.

Too bad thats not a HOLIDAY RELEASE. 

People around the world generally start christmas shopping in september, picking up little bits here and there, but aside from that both ps3 and 360 versions are still consistently in the top 10 game sales each week, so clearly many people are buying it in the holiday period.

You lot are of course going to argue tooth and nail that it doesnt count, but it does all the same.

Now if you want to change it to 'highest rated game LAUNCHED this holiday season then you would of course, for the time being at least, be correct.

But simply saying 'highest rated game this holiday season' suggests its the highest rated game being sold which is not true for the reason i initially pointed out.

I like accuracy.

This is one of the most confusing posts I've ever read due to so many logic defying points. ^_^;;;;;;

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Mr Khan said:
F0X said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I knew it was gonna be good from when it got revealed, I even made a thread defending it.

I made this thread.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162072&page=1

I was seriously considering leaving VGChartz around that time. So many people upset for no reason despite Nintendo delivering some serious goods at E3 2013.

You can't take our Nintendo community too seriously.

What Nintendo Community?

The Nintendo fandom on this site in general.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

curl-6 said:

Even if you remove the awful story, I'd still say it's a bad game. 

The controls were horrid; jumping felt off, tapping the D-Pad to dodge was a pain in the arse, changing my grip on the controller to go into first person view was awkward. I felt like I was fighting the controls the whole time.

Simply changing the control scheme to Wiimote and Nunchuk with dodging mapped to a button and better jumping physics would have made a big difference.

Then there were the mind-bogglingly awful design choices, like forcing you to walk slowly through certain segments, no health pickups, not being able to shoot missiles while in third person, and the annoyingly precise "where's wally" pixel hunt bits.

Metroid Other M is a 3/10 game as is, but even with a better story it would still be a 4/10.

I disagree about it being a 3/10 game, I'm going through the game now and tbh it's nowhere near that bad, I'd say it's around 7/10 and only held back by some mechanical flaws and choices. Don't care too much about the complaints about story or characters because I've found those complaints to be hugely exaggeratted, I will say I agree the game would have benefitted from a better mapped control scheme and should have used the nunchuck as this would have allowed for a dedicated dodge button, analogue movement and better first person.

Haven't had too much issue with the physics tbh but you're right that the missiles should have been accessible in third person mode as the lock on in first person mode is erratic often locking on to an enemy behind the one I'm trying to shoot and the where's wally sections give you no indicator of what to look for as well as the player needing to focus on the spot for several seconds before it's highlighted meaning it's easy to pass over what you're looking for, not to fussed about health pick ups as you can regen one life bar if the dodge mechanic is fixed pick ups wouldn't matter too much.

I will say it's not a bad game like it's pegged to be but it's a flawed one with a unique approach and agree with other users that it has it's own merits as an action sci-fi game and the approach can be fixed in a future game to deliver a great Metroid title.

Look into Marios eyes and tell me he aint enjoying this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkhAI3VE1AM

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans