By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

So, I think we should be patient. Especially considering what state the Metroid franchise is currently in. :(

I'd also like Retro to work on something new, but that can also wait. I'll be content with two, even three Donkey Kong Country games on the virtue of them kicking all kinds of ass. Whenever Retro tires of Donkey Kong, I assume they'll move onto something different. Which is a very natural thing fot a game developer to do, provided that said developer isn't forced to continually make sequels.

Yeah, Other M didn't quite blow anyones mind... I actually think Metroid would do quite nicely in a TPS percpective, with a little bit of RPG elements thrown in (think along the lines of Skyward Sword).

I'm pretty sure Retro already has begun work on their next game, at least started something akin to pre-production. I don't think it'll be a new Donkey Kong, and considering the state the Wii U is in, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were working on a new Metroid game; that would probably sell a few consoles, considering how well received Prime was... Or maybe they're working on another old IP, like Star Fox or Kid Icarus. Of those two I think KI is more likely since it's seen a new release on the 3DS, which sold well and got good reviews. Sadly, I think a new IP is at least a gen away...

Well, I find it only fair if Retro wants to do a DKC trilogy. Three Metroid, three DKC... seems fair enough, especially since DKC is a bigger franchise than Metroid to begin with (though I much prefer Metroid). If it extends beyond a trilogy, though, I'd get the impression that someone is pointing a gun in Retro's general direction.

If Retro decides that Tropical Freeze had officially did everything they wanted to do with DKC's new 2.5D perspective, I'm not sure what would be next. Most other dormant Nintendo franchises would be a step down, commercially speaking. I think Star Fox might be the best bet, since Nintendo seems particularly intersted in keeping it alive, and it more desperately needs a reboot than Kid Icarus for that matter.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

I never doubted the game I was just expecting MORE. A real 3D mario game lik 64 or Galaxy without (annoying) timer. (I like to chill and look a round enjoy the nice art style and listen to the music)

I already preordered the game. 8 days now cant wait.

DanneSandin said:
Locknuts said:
F0X said:
Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:
 this has at least restored my faith in how DK might turn out.

Surely Retro's track record is reassurance enough? They've never made a bad game before.

I know, I know.....just......Metroid is what I wanted.

I hate to break it to you, but much of the talent behind the Prime series has left Retro.

Though a 2.5D Metroid game (and not the Other M type) could be in the cards at least. If not Prime 4.

Any idea which studios they went to? I'd be really interested to know.

I know some went to Armature (or whatever it's called); the studio that made Batman Origins Blackgate to 3DS and Vita.

Ew. Why is it studios go to shit after leaving Nintendo?

Locknuts said:
DanneSandin said:

I know some went to Armature (or whatever it's called); the studio that made Batman Origins Blackgate to 3DS and Vita.

LOL! Good question ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Locknuts said:
DanneSandin said:
Locknuts said:
F0X said:
Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

Surely Retro's track record is reassurance enough? They've never made a bad game before.

I hate to break it to you, but much of the talent behind the Prime series has left Retro.

Though a 2.5D Metroid game (and not the Other M type) could be in the cards at least. If not Prime 4.

Any idea which studios they went to? I'd be really interested to know.

Possibly this: When they make a presentation of their build to the supervisor, the supervisor says: "Not bad, looking good". But when they make the presentation of their build to Miyamoto, Miyamoto will do this: His face will darken, his smile will fade, he will then proceed to rip the presentation apart. Then he'll leave the room. 

(i'm not making this up)

Around the Network
F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

So, I think we should be patient. Especially considering what state the Metroid franchise is currently in. :(

I'd also like Retro to work on something new, but that can also wait. I'll be content with two, even three Donkey Kong Country games on the virtue of them kicking all kinds of ass. Whenever Retro tires of Donkey Kong, I assume they'll move onto something different. Which is a very natural thing fot a game developer to do, provided that said developer isn't forced to continually make sequels.

Yeah, Other M didn't quite blow anyones mind... I actually think Metroid would do quite nicely in a TPS percpective, with a little bit of RPG elements thrown in (think along the lines of Skyward Sword).

I'm pretty sure Retro already has begun work on their next game, at least started something akin to pre-production. I don't think it'll be a new Donkey Kong, and considering the state the Wii U is in, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were working on a new Metroid game; that would probably sell a few consoles, considering how well received Prime was... Or maybe they're working on another old IP, like Star Fox or Kid Icarus. Of those two I think KI is more likely since it's seen a new release on the 3DS, which sold well and got good reviews. Sadly, I think a new IP is at least a gen away...

Well, I find it only fair if Retro wants to do a DKC trilogy. Three Metroid, three DKC... seems fair enough, especially since DKC is a bigger franchise than Metroid to begin with (though I much prefer Metroid). If it extends beyond a trilogy, though, I'd get the impression that someone is pointing a gun in Retro's general direction.

If Retro decides that Tropical Freeze had officially did everything they wanted to do with DKC's new 2.5D perspective, I'm not sure what would be next. Most other dormant Nintendo franchises would be a step down, commercially speaking. I think Star Fox might be the best bet, since Nintendo seems particularly intersted in keeping it alive, and it more desperately needs a reboot than Kid Icarus for that matter.

Fair enough, a Donkey Kong Trilogy doesn't seem too far fetched actually. But I wonder if that's how it's going to go down. I think Nintendo will order Retro to make a game they (Nintendo) think will push hardware. Will a SECOND DK game do that when we already have one on the Wii U?

Yeah I agree with your second paragraph, but KI got the latest treatment from Nintendo, and making a new Wii U game in that franchise would kind of being like riding on the wave that Uprising started. It's a fresh and new IP to many people who never played the original game some 20 years ago. Star Fox only got a remake, and hasn't done as well as KI.

But going back to Donkey Kong; Retro COULD make a 3D DK game. I mean, why not? It sold well; over 5m units.

Incubi said:

Possibly this: When they make a presentation of their build to the supervisor, the supervisor says: "Not bad, looking good". But when they make the presentation of their build to Miyamoto, Miyamoto will do this: His face will darken, his smile will fade, he will then proceed to rip the presentation apart. Then he'll leave the room. 

(i'm not making this up)

For a jolly fellow, he's pretty harsh in his criticism!

F0X said:
Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

I don't think it matters that much that they left as Prime was done with the aid of Nintendo's direction, Miyamoto even directed the first game, the talent at Retro are well capable of being doing another if it comes down to it, I think the team now is even bigger then before as early January they had a massive recruitment drive which brought in people who used to work at developers like Naughty Dog and Crytek so it's not as if they haven't replaced them.

DanneSandin said:
Incubi said:

(i'm not making this up)

For good reason though, consistency in quality is the main reason a lot of the first party games are still going, he even gave the ALBW team the boot early on. I remember an interview he had years back where he said that he's often a harsh judge even when younger members present him with their ideas he doesn't hold back, PG also say Nintendo pick up on things other publishers ignore so under this it starts to become clear why these studios take a downward turn after leaving.

Wyrdness said:
DanneSandin said:
Incubi said:

(i'm not making this up)

For good reason though, consistency in quality is the main reason a lot of the first party games are still going, he even gave the ALBW team the boot early on. I remember an interview he had years back where he said that he's often a harsh judge even when younger members present him with their ideas he doesn't hold back, PG also say Nintendo pick up on things other publishers ignore so under this it starts to become clear why these studios take a downward turn after leaving.

Yeah, Miyamoto is nothing short of a genius; he has an eye for quality! There's a reason why there's something called the Nintendo Seal of Quality ;)