By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

F0X said:
Gee-Gee said:
F0X said:

Do you still expect a "proper" 3D Mario by 2015? Or have you accepted the holy truth that I've been trying to hammer home for so long: this is 3D Mario. Suck it haters.

Lol, the holy truth. You need to remember that the content shown since the first trailer is leaps and bounds better to what we saw then.

Though it was good, it wasn't galaxy material. With the new trailers it's actually pretty clear they have the same DNA this and Galaxy.

I do remember.

I also remember the meltdown to have been hyperbolic relative to what was shown in the first place. Doubt and cautious optimism I understand. The rage, however, was so bad it wasn't even funny.

I'm not talkin' about the rage, I'm talking about bolded? You may have been right, but you were guessing. Now, reality proves you right, but at the time the facts we had in front of us was that the "proper" 3D mario was not 3D World.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
I was a filthy doubting heretic and shall now be burned at the stake.
Just let me play the damn game in place of my last meal!

LOL! im glad you and about 10 others admitting it! Some just wont, stubborn people -_-

While I'll admit I was hoping for something more epic, I never doubted that Nintendo would deliver...
I think so many on here assumed that, because SM3DW resembled SM3DL, the game would fail to provide what we expect of a home console gaming experience...
I can understand hoping for something else, but I never got all the assumptions that this would affect the quality of the game...
I was hoping Retro would bring us a new Metroid, but that doesn't mean I dont anticipate enjoying Tropical Freeze...

Have a nice day...

I'm pretty sure "Super Mario Galaxy 3" is coming for November 2015. It's probably already in development at EAD Tokyo as we speak.

Miyamoto going out of his way to stress that 3D World doesn't mean the end of the Galaxy series was basically as much confirmation as you're going to get (see: Miyamoto saying wouldn't Pikmin look great in HD well before Pikmin 3 was officially announced for Wii U).

Gee-Gee said:
F0X said:
Gee-Gee said:
F0X said:

Do you still expect a "proper" 3D Mario by 2015? Or have you accepted the holy truth that I've been trying to hammer home for so long: this is 3D Mario. Suck it haters.

Lol, the holy truth. You need to remember that the content shown since the first trailer is leaps and bounds better to what we saw then.

Though it was good, it wasn't galaxy material. With the new trailers it's actually pretty clear they have the same DNA this and Galaxy.

I do remember.

I also remember the meltdown to have been hyperbolic relative to what was shown in the first place. Doubt and cautious optimism I understand. The rage, however, was so bad it wasn't even funny.

I'm not talkin' about the rage, I'm talking about bolded? You may have been right, but you were guessing. Now, reality proves you right, but at the time the facts we had in front of us was that the "proper" 3D mario was not 3D Land.

What facts? Whether or not something is a "proper" anything is only a matter of opinion. I simply been pointing out that this, after all, is a 3D Mario game, and some people even had the gall to debate me on it by calling 3D World and 3D Land "improper".

It's the No True Scotsman fallacy, and it's being applied to video games. I'm sick of this attitude.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

It really looks cool, if only nintendo had some trophies, then it would be a sure purchase for me, I really like trophies =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

No crow over here :)

the trailers and gameplay footage haven't particularly impressed me that much and it still doesn't look all that great to me. i gotta say i'm almost shocked at how absolutely gushing the reviews have been. particularly this quote from Cheat Code Central: "The closest we will ever come to a perfect Mario game, one that is a culmination of every right decision ever made in the series. Alone, or with friends, the first time, or the tenth time, it does everything right."

i'll have to wait and see myself.

F0X said:

What facts? Whether or not something is a "proper" anything is only a matter of opinion. I simply been pointing out that this, after all, is a 3D Mario game, and some people even had the gall to debate me on it by calling 3D World and 3D Land "improper".

It's the No True Scotsman fallacy, and it's being applied to video games. I'm sick of this attitude.

Okay, first and foremost, every studio has its expectations, as does every franchise. There is nothing wrong with expecting the best from the best.

If you are a fan of something very popular and highly-acclaimed, then a follow-up to that which doesn't meet that quality will let fans down. You can be upset by that attitude, but when your beloved company falls on its face due to failure in sales, then your problem becomes much more than the attitudes of some people.

I admit that there's a way to go about it, but I don't see a problem with people having a hard time with a company they love getting lazy. It's actually very healthy for the company, it gives them a sounding board. If the game seriously lacks quality, I believe it's fair for them to say "this is not a true ... game".

As an example: Wand of Gamelon. Not a proper Zelda game (no true Zelda game would look/be like that). This one's easy because it's not made by Nintendo, but it doesn't change the fact that people make games, so whether it's made by Nintendo or not, bottom line doesn't matter. What matters is that it doesn't have the Zelda DNA at all, as we know it. At the same time, Metroid prime was made by Retro Studios, at the time not a first party developer. So being Nintendo or not doesn't change the fact that people make games, so the DNA can be followed or not even by another dev.

Gee-Gee said:
F0X said:

Okay, first and foremost, every studio has its expectations, as does every franchise. There is nothing wrong with expecting the best from the best.

If you are a fan of something very popular and highly-acclaimed, then a follow-up to that which doesn't meet that quality will let fans down. You can be upset by that attitude, but when your beloved company falls on its face due to failure in sales, then your problem becomes much more than the attitudes of some people.

I admit that there's a way to go about it, but I don't see a problem with people having a hard time with a company they love getting lazy. It's actually very healthy for the company, it gives them a sounding board. If the game lacks quality, I believe it's fair for them to say "this is not a true ... game".

As an example: Wand of gamelion. 

An extreme example. In this case, 3D Land was already highly successful and well-recieved, and even from the E3 trailer it was clear that 3D World would be greatly expanding on its foundation. Also, it was the first trailer of 3D World. It would've been best for people to wait for the game to come out before declaring that it wasn't a quality product. I pointed that out multiple times. It's too early to say it won't be half as good as Galaxy. It's too early to say that it's basically 3D Land with multiplayer. I didn't make a prediction that it would be amazing - I just took the sensible route!

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero