By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Double Helix a respectable studio now?

retroking1981 said:
Lots of you have replied so intead of getting into individual debates I'll sum it up in one.

I've been gaming since the mid 80's so I was there back when KI first came out but I will admit I was never big into the arcade scene - more to do with funds as a kid than not wanting to.

So KI was a huge deal in the arcades, which is something I didn't experience first hand. I was aware of Virtua Fighter being considered a better game in the arcades over Tekken and was a much more tactical game.

But my main point was how KI lost popularity from SNES to N64.

Just look at the sales: 820k for KI Gold compared to 5.74m for Tekken 2 and 1.93m for Virtua Fighter 2.

If N64 wasn't the home of fighters then that just shows KI wasn't that big of a deal becasue if it was it would have helped popularise the genre on the console.

I grew during the arcade scene and I never saw a crowd around Tekken or Virtua Fighter. I can't recall waiting in line to play those games.

To the contrary, when I saw a crowd it was usually around the Street Fighter series, Mortal Kombat series, and Killer Instinct series.

I already proved your main point was worthless. The N64 was not a popular platform for arcade fighters. Genres that were successful on SNES thrived on the PS1. The modest sales of Mortal Kombat on the N64 makes it pretty clear that arcade fighters were not successful on the N64.

Virtua Fighter 2 was a heavily bundled game on the Saturn. Along with Virtua Cop and Daytona USA.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Wait, I thought a 73 on Metacritic was considered a "critical flop?"

I think they made a good effort with Killer Instinct, but I still don't think they made a legitimate fighter.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

But don't you think that kind of makes my point valid?

Killer Instinct was exclusive to N64, it should have sold well regardless if it was that big a deal but it appears it wasn't. I get your point that PS1 was the 3rd party successor to the SNES but games like Final Fantasy jumped ship, KI was the real deal.

What I'm getting at is this is a sequel to a game that didn't do massively well on home consoles when it was last about so I'm surprised at the hype.

I am a massive fan and still have the SNES/N64 versions and will be picking the new one up, its the only game tempting me to be an early Xbox One adopter tbh.

I'm a frustrated fan in respect to being in the KI corner in the mid 90s and having endless debates about its greatness over Tekken etc. I knew very few people into KI, I guess we can put that down to the pre internet world.

adriane23 said:

I think they made a good effort with Killer Instinct, but I still don't think they made a legitimate fighter.

Please elaborate on what makes a legitimate fighter.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

retroking1981 said:
But don't you think that kind of makes my point valid?

Killer Instinct was exclusive to N64, it should have sold well regardless if it was that big a deal but it appears it wasn't. I get your point that PS1 was the 3rd party successor to the SNES but games like Final Fantasy jumped ship, KI was the real deal.

What I'm getting at is this is a sequel to a game that didn't do massively well on home consoles when it was last about so I'm surprised at the hype.

I am a massive fan and still have the SNES/N64 versions and will be picking the new one up, its the only game tempting me to be an early Xbox One adopter tbh.

I'm a frustrated fan in respect to being in the KI corner in the mid 90s and having endless debates about its greatness over Tekken etc. I knew very few people into KI, I guess we can put that down to the pre internet world.

No, I don't feel your points are valid.

The sequel didn't do well on home consoles? It was only on one home console and it was a console that didn't do a great job at moving arcade fighters. As I said before, look at how Mortal Kombat and other arcade fighters sold on the N64.

Everything considered, I'd say KI Gold selling 820K on N64 is respectable. Bear in mind, that was a  great game to play with friends. So while it only sold 820K, millions of people likely played it on the N64.

KI Gold sold a fraction of what the original did on the SNES, but the SNES was mega successful at moving arcade fighting games. The only other platform that had similar success with arcade fighting games was the PS1.

A lot of people responded to your original post because it was obnoxious. There are a lot of hardcore gamers on this site and a surprisingly large number of people played KI in its heyday.

Recently Completed

Around the Network

I think that you have to make more than one great game to be considered "respectable".

Good for them (and XBox fans) though.

For what Killer Instinct is, its elements seem very polished and fighting mechanics appear to be sound........just can't recommend a fighter with only 7 characters honestly :/

Part of the allure of a fighter is that you can pick a character that suits you and take on another player's "avatar". With only 7, that becomes very limited affair. It will become very monotanous in a short time I suspect.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Mr Puggsly said:
adriane23 said:

If the majority of the characters are pick-up-and-play fighters, it's not a legitimate fighter in my opinion. It's always been like that with the Killer Instinct series. It's main draw was that it was easy to pick up and play with just about any character. And my memory isn't too fuzzy because I played the original killer Instinct (for a lot longer than I thought I would) last Summer, because I was feeling nostalgic about the old SNES days.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
adriane23 said:

If the majority of the characters are pick-up-and-play fighters, it's not a legitimate fighter in my opinion. It's always been like that with the Killer Instinct series. It's main draw was that it was easy to pick up and play with just about any character. And my memory isn't too fuzzy because I played the original killer Instinct (for a lot longer than I thought I would) last Summer, because I was feeling nostalgic about the old SNES days.

I don't understand what you're saying. Pretty much all fighters are easy to pick up and play. You push buttons and attacks happen. Are you implying KI has no depth?

Please keep elaborating how KI isn't a legitimate fighter. You haven't made any valid points yet.

Recently Completed

adriane23 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
adriane23 said:

You can pick up an play any game, be it fighter, racing or shooter.

To master it is a completly different story.

It's really hard to like a game mainly if your mind is already made to hate a system, genre or the series itself.

I understand you.