By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Double Helix a respectable studio now?

Nope.

Around the Network

No, but they have improved

The meta for killer instinct is pretty average, so let's not go overboard

KylieDog said:
WagnerPaiva said:
Their Silent Hill Homecoming showed a bunch of hard workers with little imagination, it was a mediocre but at least it had some quality and care into it, but it sure did not had any soul and the focus on combat was a travesty, but they were never a bad developer, they were decent.

Actually it showed more imagination than any game the SH series aside from SH2, which it was pretty on par with.  Game had amazing imagery, but too many SH fans crying about it not being Team Silent, they (crying fans) outed themselves as being shallow fans and proved they didn't really understand why SH2 gets a lot of its praise.

I am one of them for sure buddy.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

eh not really, 1 game is not enough to erase a bunch of crappy ones, 2 and we'll see a pattern.  We'll see when Strider releases, that looks good.

kupomogli said:

Everything a 10/10 when it's exclusive.

Unless its Knack.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
Their Silent Hill Homecoming showed a bunch of hard workers with little imagination, it was a mediocre but at least it had some quality and care into it, but it sure did not had any soul and the focus on combat was a travesty, but they were never a bad developer, they were decent.

People keep bringing up Silent Hill Homecoming which was poor, but not absolutely awful.  That's not their only game though. 

This is a company that gave us Front Mission Evolved, my opinion of the worst game this gen, Battleship, Green Lantern Rise of the Manhunters,  and G.I. Joe Rise of the Cobra.

They should be based on all the crap they make, not just a single game that was somewhat decent.

retroking1981 said:

What cracks me up about this is how little people cared for the series back in the day.

Sure it 'hyped' the N64 but it ended up on the SNES and whilst being very good and selling well it was all about Tekken and to a lesser extent Virtua Fighter back then, the whole 3D revolution.

By the time it did come to N64 people didn't care, both critically and commercially.

Now everyones hyped for a sequel to a game no one cared about?

This is in no way aimed at individuals in this thread, I'm just speaking as a whole since this was announced at E3.

First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about. Many people enjoyed the series. Not just on consoles, but on arcade.

The N64 version of KI2 did poorly because of the platform. The N64 was not popular platform for arcade fighters. Arcade fighting fans were playing PS1. Look at Mortal Kombat, it did much better on PS1 than N64.

KI is indeed aimed at some people in this thread and the reason you hear so much crying about KI is because long time fans are upset its only on Xbox.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

They earned some respect from me, though in general I don't think much has changed. If they released KI complete and the game got the mid-high 80s it would have gotten things could be different.

retroking1981 said:

What cracks me up about this is how little people cared for the series back in the day.

Sure it 'hyped' the N64 but it ended up on the SNES and whilst being very good and selling well it was all about Tekken and to a lesser extent Virtua Fighter back then, the whole 3D revolution.

By the time it did come to N64 people didn't care, both critically and commercially.

Now everyones hyped for a sequel to a game no one cared about?

Personally I love KI and will no doubt be all over this when I get an Xbox One but I'm just amused at everyone coming out from under a rock. Where were these fans in 1996/97?

This is in no way aimed at individuals in this thread, I'm just speaking as a whole since this was announced at E3.

Speak for yourself. Were you around back then, did you go to arcades and play the actual games, not just the watered down (though still decent) home ports? They were immensely popular. Yes, people did love 3D fighters like VF and Tekken, but you seem to be forgetting that this was during the same span of time when Capcom's own 2D sprite based fighters like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom were, quite frankly, WAY more popular than Tekken or Virtua Figher ever were. Killer Instinct was right there with those games, and Mortal Kombat 3/UItimate, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, etc.

I personally really loved the first two KI games, they were excellent for what they were, and very unique among a slew of Street Fighter clones from that 90s era. I had always hoped that Rare would make a KI3, but they never did, and then after they got bought by MS, and all the actual talent gradually left the company, I switched to fervently hoping that they NEVER tried to bring the franchise back, because I had a feeling it would be shit if they did. And from all I've seen, at least in my personal opinion, I was right.

Lots of you have replied so intead of getting into individual debates I'll sum it up in one.

I've been gaming since the mid 80's so I was there back when KI first came out but I will admit I was never big into the arcade scene - more to do with funds as a kid than not wanting to.

So KI was a huge deal in the arcades, which is something I didn't experience first hand. I was aware of Virtua Fighter being considered a better game in the arcades over Tekken and was a much more tactical game.

But my main point was how KI lost popularity from SNES to N64.

Just look at the sales: 820k for KI Gold compared to 5.74m for Tekken 2 and 1.93m for Virtua Fighter 2.

If N64 wasn't the home of fighters then that just shows KI wasn't that big of a deal becasue if it was it would have helped popularise the genre on the console.