By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Double Helix a respectable studio now?

Mr Puggsly said:
retroking1981 said:
But don't you think that kind of makes my point valid?

Killer Instinct was exclusive to N64, it should have sold well regardless if it was that big a deal but it appears it wasn't. I get your point that PS1 was the 3rd party successor to the SNES but games like Final Fantasy jumped ship, KI was the real deal.

What I'm getting at is this is a sequel to a game that didn't do massively well on home consoles when it was last about so I'm surprised at the hype.

I am a massive fan and still have the SNES/N64 versions and will be picking the new one up, its the only game tempting me to be an early Xbox One adopter tbh.

I'm a frustrated fan in respect to being in the KI corner in the mid 90s and having endless debates about its greatness over Tekken etc. I knew very few people into KI, I guess we can put that down to the pre internet world.

No, I don't feel your points are valid.

The sequel didn't do well on home consoles? It was only on one home console and it was a console that didn't do a great job at moving arcade fighters. As I said before, look at how Mortal Kombat and other arcade fighters sold on the N64.

Everything considered, I'd say KI Gold selling 820K on N64 is respectable. Bear in mind, that was a  great game to play with friends. So while it only sold 820K, millions of people likely played it on the N64.

KI Gold sold a fraction of what the original did on the SNES, but the SNES was mega successful at moving arcade fighting games. The only other platform that had similar success with arcade fighting games was the PS1.

A lot of people responded to your original post because it was obnoxious. There are a lot of hardcore gamers on this site and a surprisingly large number of people played KI in its heyday.

I'm just coming form the angle that games sell consoles and KI didn't do much for N64 as far as growing the arcade fighters market.

I see from your profile that your from the United States and maybe thats a good reason why we disagree on this? Nintendo were/are big there whereas in the UK they've never been massively popular. Sega, Sony and MS have all been bigger than Nintendo here in their respective generations. Maybe thats why my whole KI was never a big deal is so skewed.

Calling my opinion on this obnoxious is a bit rude though and I did play KI in its heyday, like I said - I'm a big fan.

I don't like getting into arguments over trivial things like this, you've made some good points which I accept, end of the day we're all gamers and KI is back and surely we can all agree that's a good thing.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:

I'm just coming form the angle that games sell consoles and KI didn't do much for N64 as far as growing the arcade fighters market.

I see from your profile that your from the United States and maybe thats a good reason why we disagree on this? Nintendo were/are big there whereas in the UK they've never been massively popular. Sega, Sony and MS have all been bigger than Nintendo here in their respective generations. Maybe thats why my whole KI was never a big deal is so skewed.

Calling my opinion on this obnoxious is a bit rude though and I did play KI in its heyday, like I said - I'm a big fan.

I don't like getting into arguments over trivial things like this, you've made some good points which I accept, end of the day we're all gamers and KI is back and surely we can all agree that's a good thing.

I'll just say this, you aren't being realistic. You're downplaying KI's success because it didn't have the ability to push the N64 into mega success for the arcade fighting genre.

KI Gold sold a decent number considering the N64 had little success with arcade fighters and both KI games were very popular at arcades. They are even popular games in the emulation scene. That's why the series has returned.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

In short no because double helix has yet to make a successful game that generates alot of profit. KIller instinct is likely another worthless title too seeing as how it's trying to compete with street fighter or mortal kombat which have a much larger standing than killer instinct did in the past.