By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 analog sticks are garbage

impertinence said:
I had my chance to test a PS4 in store yesterday. My first impression of the controller was that it seemed cheap and low quality. Which I immediately assumed was because it is a demo model and they probably didn't use a standard issue DualShock controller with it?

Anyway, I didn't spend a lot of time messing about with the controller, because the PS4 itself was broken.

This generation is the first time I bought a system at launch when I bought the WiiU when it came out. I've had no problems with it, but do regret getting in so early since now I have now good reason to buy the Wind Waker bundle with it's awesome Zelda themed gamepad.

I am (was?) considering picking up either a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One this Christmas and become a two platform owner for the first time. So far it seems Sony and Microsoft are doing what they can to keep me as a one platform holder. I don't think I will ever buy a videogame system at launch again.

I'll take game journalist and gamers (along with my demo experience) with extensive use of the controller all clamoring how well made and excellent the DS4 is over you any day. Please try to make your bias a little less obvious next time

Around the Network
impertinence said:
I had my chance to test a PS4 in store yesterday. My first impression of the controller was that it seemed cheap and low quality. Which I immediately assumed was because it is a demo model and they probably didn't use a standard issue DualShock controller with it?

Anyway, I didn't spend a lot of time messing about with the controller, because the PS4 itself was broken.

This generation is the first time I bought a system at launch when I bought the WiiU when it came out. I've had no problems with it, but do regret getting in so early since now I have now good reason to buy the Wind Waker bundle with it's awesome Zelda themed gamepad.

I am (was?) considering picking up either a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One this Christmas and become a two platform owner for the first time. So far it seems Sony and Microsoft are doing what they can to keep me as a one platform holder. I don't think I will ever buy a videogame system at launch again.

Well from what I remember about some conversations in another thread. Neither MS or SONY really have games that appeal to you anyway. So of course the systems won't do so their biggest selling games are not your cup of tea. You are not going to buy a system just to buy it if the types of games you prefer are not there.

So no big deal man, give them some time and let them get some more games out then decide which one you want to go with. For now I saw continue to stick with your Wii U for you and the kids!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Max King of the Wild said:
impertinence said:

I'll take game journalist and gamers (along with my demo experience) with extensive use of the controller all clamoring how well made and excellent the DS4 is over you any day. Please try to make your bias a little less obvious next time

And I'll take my own experience over one million gamers and games journalists any time. I am after all looking to make a purchase for myself that I would feel good about, not buying you or anyone else a present.

Anyway, my point was that from my epxerience it's doubtful the demo kiosks have the same version of the DualShock controller as the one that would be in the box. If you are telling me that is not right and what you see in store is what you get I can honestly say right now that I will not buy a PS4. The controller I tried felt like it was just waiting to break in half. I don't think it was a stock controller though, if it was I'd expect to hear a lot more complaining about the build quality, and as you point out, the opposite is what is actually happening. All this is what one could reasonably assume that the OP's experience might not be indicative of how the controller performs in the wild and a more valid stress test would be if he used a DualShock controller of the shelf or bought a PS4 all together.

That said, the test kiosk is there to let people decide if they want to buy the product or not. That the PS4 I was trying to play didn't work is definietly not helping in getting me hyped for the purchase. Contrary to what you seem to believe, I am looking for basically any excuse to buy a second video game system. My kids are now old enough to where some of the games I will miss on the Wii U might be something they would enjoy, and I am basically a videogame collector at heart and would love the excuse to buy all three systems. However, at the price and for what is offered right now, I can't justify it. If they were $200 cheaper, or if I hadn't already bought a video game system this generation things would be different, but right now, I feel like both Microsoft and Sony are doing everything wrong in getting to my purchasing dollars. I am in the weird situation of wanting to want to get a PS4 (or Xbox One) but not being able to get there.

impertinence said:
impertinence said:

And I'll take my own experience over one million gamers and games journalists any time. I am after all looking to make a purchase for myself that I would feel good about, not buying you or anyone else a present.

Anyway, my point was that from my epxerience it's doubtful the demo kiosks have the same version of the DualShock controller as the one that would be in the box. If you are telling me that is not right and what you see in store is what you get I can honestly say right now that I will not buy a PS4. The controller I tried felt like it was just waiting to break in half. I don't think it was a stock controller though, if it was I'd expect to hear a lot more complaining about the build quality, and as you point out, the opposite is what is actually happening. All this is what one could reasonably assume that the OP's experience might not be indicative of how the controller performs in the wild and a more valid stress test would be if he used a DualShock controller of the shelf or bought a PS4 all together.

That said, the test kiosk is there to let people decide if they want to buy the product or not. That the PS4 I was trying to play didn't work is definietly not helping in getting me hyped for the purchase. Contrary to what you seem to believe, I am looking for basically any excuse to buy a second video game system. My kids are now old enough to where some of the games I will miss on the Wii U might be something they would enjoy, and I am basically a videogame collector at heart and would love the excuse to buy all three systems. However, at the price and for what is offered right now, I can't justify it. If they were $200 cheaper, or if I hadn't already bought a video game system this generation things would be different, but right now, I feel like both Microsoft and Sony are doing everything wrong in getting to my purchasing dollars. I am in the weird situation of wanting to want to get a PS4 (or Xbox One) but not being able to get there.

controller that you played is the controller youd get out of the box. it's very well made and is the best controller going into next gen

Griffin said:

I was at Best buy today and was able to test out the PS4 they had on display and the analog sticks are garbage is the only way to put it.

After hearing about the PS4 sticks and how they were wearing out very easily i decided to test them out myself.  My test consisted of rubbing the analog stick with my thumb/palm for 30 seconds in a circle pattern, after this time all texture on the PS4 stick had been warn off.  I decided to test this for another 30 seconds, after this time parts of the rubber were clearly rubbing off.  I inspected the controller after the final test to make sure i was not just seeing stuff, but on closer inspection the rubber was looking very rough with flakes clearly falling off.  I feel after another 1min of stress testing the analog stick would be useless for continued gaming.

I don't see how Sony could not see this during the making of the controller or system.  Are the developers using different controllers in their studies?  Did Sony cheap out at the last minute for the analog sticks.  How could something like this happen?

this is by far the most usless tread and posts i have ever seen on the internet!!! LMAO

This post was moderated by axumblade

Around the Network
impertinence said:
impertinence said:

Are you serious with this, there is no freaking way that a new home console from Sony/MS or would ever cost 200/300$ at launch.

One more thing it's not their fault that you bought a WiiU and couldn't wait a year to buy a PS4 or X1, I wanted a PS4 so I didn't buy a WiiU last year on the other hand if I had bought a WiiU last year I would NOT put the blame on Sony/MS for releasing a completely new console that makes a profit for them. This is a business and after what happened with Sony last gen I am pretty sure they were not prepared to launch a 200$ PS4 with a massive deficit

controller that you played is the controller youd get out of the box. it's very well made and is the best controller going into next gen

I find this hard to believe, but if it is the case that seals the deal for me. It is a complete and total non starter. I have to say I am quite surprised, but I guess it's good that I know. If what you say is the truth, and I would expect nothing less from the King of the Wild, I have to disagree that it's a very well made controller. Or rather, it might be well put together, but the materials used seemed of very poor quality.

I have not owned a Playstation brand video game console since the PS2, those controlers still work and is only flawed by some cord fraying that will eventually be their downfall, so I don't know how controller reliablity was for the DualShock 3. Any info here would be appreciated. Also, if anoyone other than Max here sees this and feel like chiming in, please do so. I have a feeling I already know what his assesment is going to be.

impertinence said:

I find this hard to believe, but if it is the case that seals the deal for me. It is a complete and total non starter. I have to say I am quite surprised, but I guess it's good that I know. If what you say is the truth, and I would expect nothing less from the King of the Wild, I have to disagree that it's a very well made controller. Or rather, it might be well put together, but the materials used seemed of very poor quality.

I have not owned a Playstation brand video game console since the PS2, those controlers still work and is only flawed by some cord fraying that will eventually be their downfall, so I don't know how controller reliablity was for the DualShock 3. Any info here would be appreciated. Also, if anoyone other than Max here sees this and feel like chiming in, please do so. I have a feeling I already know what his assesment is going to be.

Again you used a demo controller, almost every freaking time that I have played on a kiosk controller wether it was PS3, 360, Wii or PS2 it never really felt any good but then again the controller inside the box that came with my 360 and PS3(bought 06 and 07 respectively) are still running fine right now. So this is either heavily used or it's probably a defect.

What I think Max meant is that the design and other things will be the same on the controlelr that comes in the box.

hasonap said:
impertinence said:

Again you used a demo controller, almost every freaking time that I have played on a kiosk controller wether it was PS3, 360, Wii or PS2 it never really felt any good but then again the controller inside the box that came with my 360 and PS3(bought 06 and 07 respectively) are still running fine right now. So this is either heavily used or it's probably a defect.

What I think Max meant is that the design and other things will be the same on the controlelr that comes in the box.

Thank you for your response.

This is what I was assuming, but the King of the Wild directly contradicted it. It might be a small thing to most of you but to me this is a matter of some importance. I would like to know for sure if the controller you see on the store floor is a stock controller or not, if it is it is 100% certain that I will not be buying the PS4. 

Edit: I don't usually bother to correct spelling mistakes, but 'Thnak you' is too much for me to stomach

hasonap said:
impertinence said:

What I meant is what I said. I will say it another way though. The demo units are retail units. They are opened and put on display. They aren't manufactured with different parts or materials. impertinence is claiming the demo controller was cheap and suggested that it's different material or parts. It isn't. Now... if they have been abused or worn then thats something else