By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't nintendo simply go with Wii 2 ?

RolStoppable said:
Because the "U" stands for the hardcore gamer. A "2" would have implied that the console is a continuation of the Wii and that means hardcore gamers would have ignored it by default.

If you now think that's some really dumb logic, remember what a trainwreck the Wii U is. It is the culmination of dumb logic.

That's what I came in here to say!
Though I think they woulda used "Too" or maybe even "Tuu" instead of the numerical version. Tbh though I hope they get rid of the "Wii" name next generation. They could still have the Wii ___ series, though that too I hope is gotten rid of in place of more traditional games, cause I'm no good n selfish consumer!

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:
eFKac said:
So after a year on the market, are we still playing the "controller add on" game? Either this is false, and a excuse from Nintendo fans why Wii U is selling so bad, or Nintendo has the worst marketing team in history.

I never see a Nintendo fan use that type of false logic. Its usually done by other company followers as a reason to justify their hate for it.

I really do not understand the mind set either. The OP talks about it like it happens every day and people all over are buying Wii U games for their Wii console only to try to return them but I have never seen this.

What I have seen is people not knowing the WIi U exists at all, but people are not really that stupid that they cannot figure out that they are seperate consoles.

My parents know nothing of gaming yet when I was a kid and wanted a Snes they knew it was not a NES and not to buy me one.

Cant wait to see what excuses you make when PS4 isnt selling so good though. Bet you got some pretty good ones for the high failure rate too.

You're in perfect form I see! 

First paragraph is so funny I'm not even commenting on it.

As for second and third, it may be the first time that I actually agree with something you have said on these forums! Hurray!

And then you're back with some sweet trolling in the end, for me not to forget about who I'm talking to I assume you mean the 400k PS4s you were talking about in the other thread? :D The excuse is they don't exist lol :D but if the failure rate is highly above 5-7% there will be no excuse, that would just be unacceptable. You see, it's that easy

Edit. Ohh I see I didn't adress the bad sales part. No biggie though, I'm sure PS4 will itself on it's own well enough.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Use the name Nintendo Revolution! It's the coolest name and I don't know WHY they would change it or never use it at all. It's freaking sweet! Also Nintendo Kitana would be cool to steal the code name for Dreamcast. How about Ultimate Nintendo (like sequel to Super Nintendo) but I guess it would be hard to make a successor to that.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Metallicube said:
The confusion of "U" vs "2" might have sold a few more consoles, but it would be a largely insignificant difference. The average consumer is a lot smarter than most here give them credit for, especially when it comes to games. The primary reason for the Wii U's failure is not the marketing/name, it's not even really the controller at the end of the day; it's the games. And as of now anyway, Wii U's library resembles more of the niche style Gamecube games than it does the mass market/old school style Wii games that made the Wii such a hit.

I talked with my one roommate about WiiU the other day.  He is a big Nintendo fan.  Has a Wii, still has a Gamecube and an N64 and most of the big first party games.  Loves Smash.  When I told him the new Smash would be on WiiU he gave me a weird look and said "isn't that just the controller?"  I realize he's not the hardest of cores for not knowing that but the confusion is STILL there even with people who like Nintendo.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I think they should of called it the Puu

Around the Network

It´s clear that WiiU is a problematic name for the product

But now, changing the name is just dumb. Nintendo just needs to market the thing better, and keep selling bundles. This seems to work well

Because Nintendo.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wii U is Wii 2.

I don't think anyone is really confused by this. Does confusion about this occur in the US? Because that would be really funny.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I agree, I think at the very least more people would be aware that there's a new Nintendo console and that would help holidays sales. It's really such a shame.

Jumpin said:

Wii U is Wii 2.

I don't think anyone is really confused by this. Does confusion about this occur in the US? Because that would be really funny.

Yeah, because people in he US are dumb... and fat.

The problem is casual consumers didn't understand what the Wii U was. I know some people thought Wii U was just the tablet controller. If they used a number instead, people would have inherently assumed it was a new console.

Personally, I would have called it the Super Wii.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)