By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't nintendo simply go with Wii 2 ?

The confusion of "U" vs "2" might have sold a few more consoles, but it would be a largely insignificant difference. The average consumer is a lot smarter than most here give them credit for, especially when it comes to games. The primary reason for the Wii U's failure is not the marketing/name, it's not even really the controller at the end of the day; it's the games. And as of now anyway, Wii U's library resembles more of the niche style Gamecube games than it does the mass market/old school style Wii games that made the Wii such a hit.

Around the Network

Let me ask you this:

Why doesn't Nintendo simply go with: Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System?

Quite frankly the name doesn't matter too much as long as they actively market it. The xbox one prob won't be confused with ms big marketing push. Same with other companies like Apple that are masters of marketing. There various phones like the 4-4s that look the same, yet consumers are not confused at all when it comes to them. Nin advertising is abysmal. The games aren't exactly there either.

cbarroso09 said:
too late, but at the same time if 3DS did it Wii U can.

The 3DS didn't need to do anything though, results were almost entirely immediate after the initial price cut.

STRYKIE said:
Let me ask you this:

Penultimate Nintendo Entertainment System....or PNES for short

Hey, probably just as many jokes from that as the Wii name....

Around the Network
eFKac said:
So after a year on the market, are we still playing the "controller add on" game? Either this is false, and a excuse from Nintendo fans why Wii U is selling so bad, or Nintendo has the worst marketing team in history.

It's definitely the latter.  Just look at the lasted hardware chart... Wii U only sold 4,000 more units than the Wii which has NO games as we enter the big holiday sales period.  That's just sad, and is text-book proof of Nintendo's terrible marketing.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Wii Mini outsold the Wii U during the holidays, even with Mario 3D World.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

fordy said:
STRYKIE said:
Let me ask you this:

Penultimate Nintendo Entertainment System....or PNES for short

Hey, probably just as many jokes from that as the Wii name....

You never know, it'd probably be less of a marketing blunder than Astronomical Nintendo Entertainment System... if you know where I'm going with that.

The problem with WiiU is not the name. The main problem is that WiiU is in direct competition with a cheaper PS3 and Xbox 360 + kinect. The console is stuck in limbo between 7 & 8th generation. WiiU is a 7.25th generation console. The graphic are comparable to PS3 and Xbox 360, that was Nintendo's mistake for producing a underpowered game console that can't be advertised as next gen.

Nintendo WiiU struggle will continue until Xbox 360 and PS3 have been phased out and you know that for that reason alone Sony will keep the PS3 around for many years to come!

eFKac said:
So after a year on the market, are we still playing the "controller add on" game? Either this is false, and a excuse from Nintendo fans why Wii U is selling so bad, or Nintendo has the worst marketing team in history.

I never see a Nintendo fan use that type of false logic. Its usually done by other company followers as a reason to justify their hate for it.

I really do not understand the mind set either. The OP talks about it like it happens every day and people all over are buying Wii U games for their Wii console only to try to return them but I have never seen this.

What I have seen is people not knowing the WIi U exists at all, but people are not really that stupid that they cannot figure out that they are seperate consoles.

My parents know nothing of gaming yet when I was a kid and wanted a Snes they knew it was not a NES and not to buy me one.

Cant wait to see what excuses you make when PS4 isnt selling so good though. Bet you got some pretty good ones for the high failure rate too.

STRYKIE said:
cbarroso09 said:
too late, but at the same time if 3DS did it Wii U can.

The 3DS didn't need to do anything though, results were almost entirely immediate after the initial price cut.

mmm inmediatley after 3DS price cut, Ocarina of Time hit shelves, then Mario 3D Land and then Mario Kart 7.

those were key titles, Wii U is doing almost the same besides Mario Kart 8. But Wii U is harder to sell since marketing for the games already out is almost nonexistent. Wii U results are way better since the price cut, but the Wii U is deeper than what the 3DS was. And two other consoles instead are competing agains it, while Wii U doesn;t have the games most people want. Unfortunately nobody want to see the Wii U games.