By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't nintendo simply go with Wii 2 ?

X-Box One is a crappy name as well (but not as bad as Wii U). The difference is that the One has been properly advertised and it has a lot of hype around it, so it can overcome its name. The Wii U was poorly marketed, so you end up with a situation where people don't even know it's a new system. The name doesn't help, but it's not the main source of the problem.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
It is the Wii part that is the problem.

It seems Nintendo and a few die hard fans actually believed the Wii sold because of Nintendo games. Can forgive anyone who only just got into gaming for believing this, but anyone who been around a few gens should have known better, and Nintendo had no excuse.

Motion controls and Wii Fit sold the Wii, owning a Wii sold any other games. Was obvious the Wii userbase wasn't going to buy another console ever so the Wii name being reused serves no purpose except to keep away people who had no interest in the Wii or Nintendos new direction it took with it.

You're really sticking to this line of thinking?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:
It is the Wii part that is the problem.

It seems Nintendo and a few die hard fans actually believed the Wii sold because of Nintendo games. Can forgive anyone who only just got into gaming for believing this, but anyone who been around a few gens should have known better, and Nintendo had no excuse.

Motion controls and Wii Fit sold the Wii, owning a Wii sold any other games. Was obvious the Wii userbase wasn't going to buy another console ever so the Wii name being reused serves no purpose except to keep away people who had no interest in the Wii or Nintendos new direction it took with it.

You're really sticking to this line of thinking?

Its hard to really argue with him, aside from the fact that Wii Sports and Wii Fit are both Nintendo games of course.

It was the motion controls combined with Wii Sports that sold Wii's primarily. It was new, easy to play and the console itself was affordable to the mass market. I think its fair to say that Wii Sports alone would have sold Wii's for Months on end even without any other software releasing. Wii Fit expanded that market even more.

Obviously you have the lesser selling titles that will always sell systems like Mario Platformers, Mario Kart, Brawl, Zelda and so on but these games didnt push Nintendo home consoles to 100 Million before Wii and now were once again seeing a struggling Nintendo platform. Wii U abandoned the Wii philosophy of ease of use and affordablity, along with new and fun ways to play. 

I dont think it would be too harsh to say that a lot of Nintendo software sold on Wii was Nintendo software sold as a "me too" title to acompany Wii Sports and Wii Fit. 

His last sentence though I disagree with. The Wii userbase would have gone out and bought a console that was aimed at them. The Wii U isnt that console.

Metallicube said:
The average consumer is a lot smarter than most here give them credit for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waeP4VD9d0

Not when you have "reporters" like this one that misinforms the public.

HighlandRainbow said:
yvanjean said:
  WiiU is a 7.25th generation console. The graphic are comparable to PS3 and Xbox 360, that was Nintendo's mistake for producing a underpowered game console that can't be advertised as next gen.

Im sorry but I have to disagree. You cannot compare Nintendo's next gen to old gen. Compared to the Wii the Wii U Is next gen and much more advanced than the Wii.

WiiU is in a market were there competition is PS3, PS4, Xbox One & Xbox 360 direct competition. Then you got the smartphone and Ipad taking away customer discrepancy income. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be around for a few more years.

Just because you turn a blind eye and don't want to compare the WiiU to PS3 and Xbox 360 doesn't mean it's not a problem. The sales don't lie, people have been buying up PS3 and Xbox360 rather then picking up WiiU's. Now that next gen as arrived they will pick up the Ps4 and Xbox One. WiiU is in a weird spot right now stuck between two generations. It's not quite the dreamcast because Nintendo is much better and bigger company then Sega and can live off their own software.

Nintendo is a company that if they were to only sell 10 million units of WiiU, they'd still manage to have the most games that sold over 5 millions copies.

Just don't expect for WiiU to win this generation and have the commercial success that the Wii enjoyed in the earlier years.

Around the Network

Personally Wii U sounds better than Wii 2. Plus would the so called core gamers buy the Wii U just because the name was Wii 2. No it would be the same Nintendo hate and this anti perception. It's games(not name) that will sale the Wii U and it is getting them.

The Wii U logo really should be redesigned. It makes it look too similar to the Wii. It doesn't clearly say next-gen instead of a Wii peripheral. The name itself is rather irrelevant. People are just not aware of the system

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842