By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has already outsold the WiiU in USA in 2013 sales.

Hardly surprising considering that Nintendo only just started advertising the Wii U.

Around the Network

Sony had a great launch. As has been said many times since they announced PS4 back in February; Sony has been executing extremely well all year. They had a near-perfect launch.

The real test of course comes after Christmas. I don't think Infamous is going to sell a million consoles in the spring, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
Sony had a great launch. As has been said many times since they announced PS4 back in February; Sony has been executing extremely well all year. They had a near-perfect launch.

The real test of course comes after Christmas. I don't think Infamous is going to sell a million consoles in the spring, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Well that's kinda the beauty of the Sony/MS model -- inFamous doesn't have to sell consoles. It just has to be a good game that adds to the overall library. 

All the big third party content is what sells the console -- Destiny, Metal Gear Solid V, Madden NFL, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, NBA 2K in unison is what sells consoles in conjunction with the occassional big Sony title like Uncharted IV (holiday 2014?). 

Not "this ONE or TWO GAMES MUST SELL THE CONSOLE OR WE R FUXXORED" type thing.  

Ps4 is due a big spike in latr nov, another spike mid december (hk, china etc) then as the christmas partys settle, yet another spike in feb.

My guess is outsold wiiu lifetime by mid feb 2014 or potentially before the end of the year assuming supplys are met

Well, you are technically correct, but reminds me of a story:

A farmer took his gun and, from 100 yards away, took a shot at a wall. Then he went to the wall, and painted a circle around his bullet hole. After the fact, he invited his friend over and told him: "Look how accurately I can shoot over 100 yards!"

So yeah, the PS4 did, in one single weekend, outsell the WiiU's entire year. It sounds incredible. But maybe if we select the weekend more accurately (like maybe compare the PS4's launch weekend with the WiiU's launch weekend?) we get a more ... justifiable comparison.

Around the Network

...... SHEET!

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Licence said:

A farmer took his gun and, from 100 yards away, took a shot at a wall. Then he went to the wall, and painted a circle around his bullet hole. After the fact, he invited his friend over and told him: "Look how accurately I can shoot over 100 yards!"

So yeah, the PS4 did, in one single weekend, outsell the WiiU's entire year. It sounds incredible. But maybe if we select the weekend more accurately (like maybe compare the PS4's launch weekend with the WiiU's launch weekend?) we get a more ... justifiable comparison.

If by justifiable you mean comparing a unified global launch with a launch on one single continent, then sure.....

If you want it to be truly accurate, then by all means, wait until the weekend after japanese launch in february, add up the totals from each first weekend and compare it to the weekend totals of WiiU.. and you'll have your accurate comparison, of course, it isn't going to be the comparison whos results are the ones you were hoping for.

Frequency said:
Licence said:

If by justifiable you mean comparing a unified global launch with a launch on one single continent, then sure.....

If you want it to be truly accurate, then by all means, wait until the weekend after japanese launch in february, add up the totals from each first weekend and compare it to the weekend totals of WiiU.. and you'll have your accurate comparison, of course, it isn't going to be the comparison whos results are the ones you were hoping for.

Don't be smug about it.

Of course unified launch numbers will be higher for PS4 than Wii U, a system that wasn't advertised and that nobody understood why they would want.

He was just pointing out the meaninglessness of comparing yearly sales of a system with launch numbers of another one.

Of course, it does outline the abysmal sales of the Wii U, but people have been pointing and laughing about that for six months now, so it's hardly a clever observation.

Podings said:
Frequency said:
Licence said:

Don't be smug about it.

Of course unified launch numbers will be higher for PS4 than Wii U, a system that wasn't advertised and that nobody understood why they would want.

He was just pointing out the meaninglessness of comparing yearly sales of a system with launch numbers of another one.

Of course, it does outline the abysmal sales of the Wii U, but people have been pointing and laughing about that for six months now, so it's hardly a clever observation.

Exactly. Is it really so much to ask that we compare apples with apples?

Podings said:

Don't be smug about it.

Being accurate is nothing to do with being smug, Licence talked of looking at it more accurately for a justifiable comparison, I pointed out the inconsistencies of that 'accuracy', nothing more, nothing less, you don't have to get offended and go in defence mode over it.

And the system was advertised, just poorly, that poor advertising was the very reason why people had mixed messages about what it actually was or did.

Licence said:

Exactly. Is it really so much to ask that we compare apples with apples?

Not at all, so long as you're actually comparing apples with apples and not apples with apple slices.