By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be at fault

Vasto said:

Launch-day sales issues are a familiar beast for gamers when a new console touches ground, but Sony’s Playstation 4 has gathered a particularly bad cloud of press on Amazon.com. With almost 40% one-star user-submitted reviews at the time of this article’s writing, the dominant problem is obvious: dead-on-arrival systems that flash a new “Blue Light of Death.” So many low reviews and complaints have come in that Sony has requested that Amazon cease selling the unit until the problem is addressed.

According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that “the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.” So much for all those folks hoping to jump in and sell their couple extra systems for a quick buck on the website. Many people are still selling their systems on EBay, though likely not for the premium price they hoped for; yesterday units were selling for $600 or over a piece; now many auctions are ending the $450-$500 range.

Even with this said, many users have gotten online and are using their PS4s successfully (members of the GotGame staff included). Remember that there are 420 5-star reviews on Amazon right now for the base system, and generally pissed-off users are more likely to get up and leave reviews than people too busy playing their systems. Commentors on the NeoGAF thread seem to be pointing to poor shipping containers and packaging as the source of many unusable units; we’ll have to wait to hear officially from Sony and other sources about just how many estimated users are dealing with faulty hardware and what the strategy to address those problems will be.

One question remains: with the XBox One launch around the corner, will these reported failures impact the sales of Microsoft’s next-gen console? Leave your theories in the comments.

http://gotgame.com/2013/11/16/amazon-suppresses-ps4-sales/

Around the Network

oh dear.
Let's see where this is going

Troubling, and regardless of how widespread the issues are which, obviously, none of us really know.....it's pretty pathetic how shoddy the quality control on the PS4 obviously was. I mean for god's sake there are consoles without an eject button for the discs out there in people's home. That is embarrassing as hell.

They need to get their shit together.

well obliviously there are issues if sony themselves have halted production if there wasn't then why would sony stop

I thought the DOA was when people where trying to download the update and it did not properly update the firmware. Not really defective hardware and something Sony has messed up on in the pass. I believe getting around this problem is to download the update from your PC, put it on a USB stick and update the PS4 that way.

The second problem I heard about is how there is a mettle piece where the HDMI cable plug into. this can cause people to apply to much pressure to plug in the cable thus bending the connection.

Around the Network

I was pretty nervous to turn my PS4 on, but so far no issues *crosses fingers*.  I hope this isn't that widespread, I would be super bummed if I got the console and it didn't work.  Also it would be...you know...pretty bad news for Sony

In other news, I'm talking to EA customer support because in a genius move they decided to require people to sign into Origin when play BF4 on a console, and my account is just not linking correctly. Joy :/

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Obviously there's an issue if that many people are complaining of issues.

Machiavellian said:
I thought the DOA was when people where trying to download the update and it did not properly update the firmware. Not really defective hardware and something Sony has messed up on in the pass. I believe getting around this problem is to download the update from your PC, put it on a USB stick and update the PS4 that way.

The second problem I heard about is how there is a mettle piece where the HDMI cable plug into. this can cause people to apply to much pressure to plug in the cable thus bending the connection.

The systems are overheating....and apparently the majority of the faulty systems came from Amazon. My brother and I both preordered launch consoles from amazon. Mine is working fine and his DOA. It fires up for three minutes then shuts off. The fans are not running inside to cool the system. He called Sony and was on hold for 2 and a half hours. The rep said that they had been slammed with calls of overheating systems all day and didn't even get him to try the usual nonsense to make the system to work. The rep told him 9 out of 10 of the faulty system calls were coming from people who purchased on Amazon. He got off the phone at 10pm and the rep told him they had a backlog of over 800 calls still on hold.

Talal said:
Obviously there's an issue if that many people are complaining of issues.

Yeah and halo and gears of war must be the worst games ever. I went through a good 20 of those complaints and decided most of them were trolls

Obviously some Xbox fanboy activities, Playstation hardware is flawless.