By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony May Gross About $100 Per Console, Teardown Shows

Sony has already said they will be making a loss though?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

That's just for the parts...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Shinobi-san said:
Sony has already said they will be making a loss though?

Yeah they have.  It is a small loss that will be made up from buying a game so not too bad.  Much better than the PS3 launch so that is a huge plus :D

I'll wait and see if ethomaz says bullshit or not.

I doubt SONY is actually making money with hardware at launch. But maybe the loss is small and they can recoup the money with Software sales.

Around the Network

So you're telling me the PS4 costs less than the WiiU to produce....

Doesn't include the retailer cut and I could bet it doesn't include the manufacturer cut either.

$23 for a 500GB is insanely low. Poor Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital.

I don't believe it. They are most likely making loss or could be breaking even.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I would expect the raw materials to come under $400, but when you throw in shipping, marketing, distribution, returns, retailer cut etc it probably comes out a small loss covered by game sales / PS+.

The days of a $200+ loss per console are definitely gone though, seems like all 3 consoles this gen are being sold and something close to an effective break even - or profit.

The key here and has always been with consoles "Accessories" :)

The console is making them a loss, I think I read $60 or so. You start adding in PSN, games and accessories and before you know it, the console is a profit.

Us first purchasers, don't generally buy just a console, 3/4 games, another controller, PSN... etc etc. It all adds up very quickly.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!