By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2013 NPD Thread! 3DS: 452k, 360: 166k

Soundwave said:
kopstudent89 said:

3DS!! Thank God it's spot on, really cruising towards the holidays . October 2013 3DS is almost as much as November 2012 3DS whch says a lot! (540k last year)

October 2011: 250k
October 2012: 211k<3DS<250k

Next it has to beat 2011's November numbers which were at 795k.

I would share other numbers but they're all down and we're now just anticipating next gen! Might just be the biggest November on record I think.

I don't see November 2008 being beat:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_November_2008

The Wii sold 2 million and the DS 1.57 million, I think even if say the PS4/XB1 average 750k for both of them for the month, and lets give the Wii U a generous multiplier from October of say 4.25x more sales ... PS4/XB1/Wii U combined still won't match the Wii sales from that month. 

The peak Wii/DS years from 2007-2009 won't be touched this life cycle IMO. Just monstrous sales. 

November 2011 was bigger than 2008: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/09/november-npd-a-new-record-with-xbox-360-joined-by-mw3-and-skyr/

I think that's in terms of $$ and not units, not sure but there you go.

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:
"Batman < 650k
PS3 + 360 = 98.2%
WiiU = 1.8%"

"Party U < Batman U, I'm not kidding.

TW101 LTD < 25k"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941876&postcount=916
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941564&postcount=908

That's .... horribly depressing. 

I don't think Wii U is going to get Batman/Ass Creed/Call of Duty next year. It's just can't be worth it to make a port when no one is buying. 

Also uggggghhhh at those W101 sales. At least I got my retail copy. WTF Wii U fans, seriously ... you know you're allowed to buy something other than Mario/Zelda/DK on consoles right?

Ok now, if Wii Party U and the NSMB bundle have bombed so badly after all the promotion they are getting, I simply dont know what else Nintendo can do. They are throwing money away. No one is interested in the console. Every single game is bombing everywhere.

I think that retiring the console is the best option. Nothing they are doing is working and they lose and lose money. Making the company take in big losses.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Soundwave said:
Sh1nn said:
"Batman < 650k
PS3 + 360 = 98.2%
WiiU = 1.8%"

"Party U < Batman U, I'm not kidding.

TW101 LTD < 25k"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941876&postcount=916
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941564&postcount=908

That's .... horribly depressing. 

I don't think Wii U is going to get Batman/Ass Creed/Call of Duty next year. It's just can't be worth it to make a port when no one is buying. 

Also uggggghhhh at those W101 sales. At least I got my retail copy. WTF Wii U fans, seriously ... you know you're allowed to buy something other than Mario/Zelda/DK on consoles right?

Its Nintendos faultas they only create awareness of those titles you mentioned by releasing iterations  non-stop without trying to find or popularize a new game. This has been going on since late 2009 and people simply got tired of the same once and again. With no new IPs or brands to revitalize their business, they have dug their own grave.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Lawlight said:

Not sure how the implications of your past few posts have flown right over everyone elses' heads (as seems to be the case), but I see what you're getting at.

And I don't get your point. It's almost like you think Nintendo is "cheating" by creating powerful IPs centered around excellent games and marketed toward audiences that enjoy them. Believe me, if Sony was capable of breaking into that market in the way Nintendo has, they would be. There's a lot of money to be made there. Sony isn't taking the "high road" by ignoring the vast majority of the handheld market. They're smart enough to know that they can't beat Nintendo at their own game.

By the way, even at $200, the Vita still isn't able to keep up with the meager sales the 3DS was managing for its first 19 weeks on shelves in the US, before its price cut... back when it cost $250, and its biggest competition was the then-$99 DS Lite, on which gamers could play the newly-released Pokemon Black & White.

Don't let the Garbodor hit you on the way out.

Around the Network

It's not that Vita or Wii U are terrible products by any stretch of the imagination.

Design and hardware wise the Vita is hands down probably the best handheld ever made. It's so comfy to use too and the screen is spectacular. 

As far as consoles go, the Wii U is considerably more ambitious than the walled-in Wii and definitely the most feature robust Nintendo game system ever.

And despite what boo birds will say, there actually is a fair number of perfectly good games on both platforms.

The market just isn't there anymore.

It would be funny if Nintendo/Sony cut a deal, Nintendo absords their handheld division and could upsize the Vita tech for their 3DS successor, Sony agrees to support the platform, Nintendo agrees to support the PS4 as their go to console if they get a large cash pay out and joint design input on future consoles.

I'd be down for that.

tbone51 said:

Woah Woah there buddy, ps4 most likely be the best selling home console by far but you dont kno if it will outsell 3DS lifetime. Dont make full accusations yet. Last time i checked 3DS is selling 13mil+ per year.

I know that it will sell less than the PS3.

Soundwave said:

It's not that Vita or Wii U are terrible products by any stretch of the imagination.

Design and hardware wise the Vita is hands down probably the best handheld ever made. It's so comfy to use too and the screen is spectacular. 

As far as consoles go, the Wii U is considerably more ambitious than the walled-in Wii and definitely the most feature robust Nintendo game system ever.

And despite what boo birds will say, there actually is a fair number of perfectly good games on both platforms.

The market just isn't there anymore.

It would be funny if Nintendo/Sony cut a deal, Nintendo absords their handheld division and could upsize the Vita tech for their 3DS successor, Sony agrees to support the platform, Nintendo agrees to support the PS4 as their go to console if they get a large cash pay out and joint design input on future consoles.

I'd be down for that.

This is so true its a xbox/playstation market now, all the biggest third party franshises are established on those consoles, and mario/zelda are just not the system seller they oncewere ,  just look at the mario/zelda bundles that hardly did anything for sales.

So VGC overtracked WiiU by quite a lot...

450K for 3DS is OK, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to meet the 18m target. They would need to sell at least 3m systems in every market in Nov.-Dec.

Vita is definitely going to stay in its niche. Hopefully it's big enough for localisations to keep coming.

trestres said:
Ok now, if Wii Party U and the NSMB bundle have bombed so badly after all the promotion they are getting, I simply dont know what else Nintendo can do. They are throwing money away. No one is interested in the console. Every single game is bombing everywhere.

I think that retiring the console is the best option. Nothing they are doing is working and they lose and lose money. Making the company take in big losses.

One thing they haven't done is advertising.  I saw a Wii U ad recently on tv (the one where the kids "pitch" it to their parents) and that was the first Wii U ad I've seen in years.

And another thing is no more delays.  I mean, at all.  They needed to have Donkey Kong out in December given how much they are banking on Christmas, but it was delayed.  What miracles in gameplay are they going to achieve with just a few extra months?  They need DK in February, Mario Kart in spring, Smash Bros in the summer, and Zelda in the fall/Christmas.  That's a tentpole game every quarter that may get them out of the hole they are in.  Waiting until 2015 for Zelda is unacceptable in my opinion.  The system will be doomed by then if things continue the way they are.