By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2013 NPD Thread! 3DS: 452k, 360: 166k

Tagging along

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Well my Wii U bet sure isn't looking too hot right now. They've played every card they can at this point and more games have been arriving, yet these sales are still so bad. Course we're not in 2014 yet so this doesn't count for anything, but still if these sales are the norm for next year then for me to win the bet the PS4 would have to sell absolutely horrible, basically nothing. I'd rather lose the bet than see that happen as it would mean the video game industry as a whole be doomed. Now what I'm counting on is the momentum boost from the holidays to be maintained from a steady stream of games, and then gradually snowballing into higher week by week sales with each game release. That means absolutely no more delays, and Zelda U has to come out next year. If they needa pull people from other teams to do this, then so be it! A few game delays for the 3DS wont kill it, while 2014 is do or die time for the Wii U!

Einsam_Delphin said:
Well my Wii U bet sure isn't looking too hot right now. They've played every card they can at this point and more games have been arriving, yet these sales are still so bad. Course we're not in 2014 yet so this doesn't count for anything, but still if these sales are the norm for next year then for me to win the bet the PS4 would have to sell absolutely horrible, basically nothing. I'd rather lose the bet than see that happen as it would mean the video game industry as a whole be doomed. Now what I'm counting on is the momentum boost from the holidays to be maintained from a steady stream of games, and then gradually snowballing into higher week by week sales with each game release. That means absolutely no more delays, and Zelda U has to come out next year. If they needa pull people from other teams to do this, then so be it! A few game delays for the 3DS wont kill it, while 2014 is do or die time for the Wii U!

I think the problem with this is you're just banging your head against a wall trying to get the same Nintendo fan. 

Where are the games that are going to bring in other users? That's where Nintendo needed to invest more, rather than sequelizing Wii Fit/Sports/Party ... the time for those games has passed, the Wii U needed something new and Nintendo has not been able to deliver it. 

I think their play now is to try and position the system as a kids console for 2014 and try to drop the price as much as possible. They are not going to be able to compete with Sony/MS on the higher end and the casual adult that buoyed the Wii so much is gone.

Dammit Wii U!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I think the problem with this is you're just banging your head against a wall trying to get the same Nintendo fan. 

Where are the games that are going to bring in other users? That's where Nintendo needed to invest more, rather than sequelizing Wii Fit/Sports/Party ... the time for those games has passed, the Wii U needed something new and Nintendo has not been able to deliver it. 

I think their play now is to try and position the system as a kids console for 2014 and try to drop the price as much as possible. They are not going to be able to compete with Sony/MS on the higher end and the casual adult that buoyed the Wii so much is gone.

Oh right, I forgot that Nintendo games ONLY sell to "Nintendo fans," lolz...
And targeting a single demographic rather than as many as possible is pretty unsmart.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Oh right, I forgot that Nintendo games ONLY sell to "Nintendo fans," lolz...
And targeting a single demographic rather than as many as possible is pretty unsmart.

There is definitely some overlap though. 

This is not like say Nintendo's 1st party IP being Mario, Halo, NBA 2K, Uncharted, Minecraft, and Pokemon or something where each tend to draw very distinct audiences. 

For Nintendo sake I would say Zelda I think has to be darker and more realistic in the vein of OoT/TP (perhaps taking it even further). Otherwise I don't think it will sell many systems. There's a marked difference between the sales of OoT/TP versus Wind Waker/Skyward Sword, the West just likes their console Zelda a certain way, and it seems like Japan doesn't care about console Zelda period anymore. Nintendo should just forget about Japan for once and make the Zelda game the West wants, because that's where the potential audience for that franchise now resides. 

"Batman PS3 + 360 = 98.2%
WiiU = 1.8%"

"Party U
TW101 LTD
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941876&postcount=916
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941564&postcount=908

3DS!! Thank God it's spot on, really cruising towards the holidays . October 2013 3DS is almost as much as November 2012 3DS whch says a lot! (540k last year)

October 2011: 250k
October 2012: 211k<3DS<250k

Next it has to beat 2011's November numbers which were at 795k.

I would share other numbers but they're all down and we're now just anticipating next gen! Might just be the biggest November on record I think.

tbone51 said:
http://m.neogaf.com/view.php

pokemon xy almost even with DP sales first month

And it will get a much bigger BF and holiday boost. It will sell a lot, watch out for the 3DS!

kopstudent89 said:

3DS!! Thank God it's spot on, really cruising towards the holidays . October 2013 3DS is almost as much as November 2012 3DS whch says a lot! (540k last year)

October 2011: 250k
October 2012: 211k<3DS<250k

Next it has to beat 2011's November numbers which were at 795k.

I would share other numbers but they're all down and we're now just anticipating next gen! Might just be the biggest November on record I think.

I don't see November 2008 being beat:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_November_2008

The Wii sold 2 million and the DS 1.57 million, I think even if say the PS4/XB1 average 750k for both of them for the month, and lets give the Wii U a generous multiplier from October of say 4.25x more sales ... PS4/XB1/Wii U combined still won't match the Wii sales from that month. 

The peak Wii/DS years from 2007-2009 won't be touched this life cycle IMO. Just monstrous sales.