By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 voice commands limited to a few basics, not supported by all third-party apps

I would feel awkward talking to my console when someone else is around, but hey maybe I will try it one day.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

I have kids and I don't really feel the need to be talking to my console when they are in bed and i am playing the machine. Even if the kids were not, just don't get the point.

It's not something I am fussed about when using a controller is easy enough... I have purchased a camera for the PS4, but I'm not really sure why i have purchased it :) - it was in the KZ bundle, so why not...haha

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

If there ever was an issue with the PS4, it surely wouldn't be this one. If voice commands are what you fancy, you'll buy an Xbone and not a PS4.

i dont buy a gaming console for voice commands. so i personally couldnt give a shit.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
This is the very reason why MS packed Kinect with the box. Each day I hear about its functionality, I am really glad they did it since I get a true media box that is also a very powerful gaming machine.

yes because apps can't be included without a motion control camera and they're soooo difficult to use with a controller (literally requires less movement without camera).  Also I'm sure Eye functionality can be patched in if people really start complaining.  Most won't though because most have figured out how to use dpads by now.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I doubt many care, but I imagine all the apps that are on both consoles will support them. Kinect is likely to help out the PS4 Camera in a big way, by making it easier for third party games and apps to add the same camera and voice support to both.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Doesn't matter. Still counts.

Poor Xbox Ones. :(

I don't think most people except to never use there controller again but its going to be nice to be able set up a game while I get something to drink or ear or putting stuff down.

Yes voice isn't good in ever occasion and at least for I'll still use the controller more often but its knowing its there

platformmaster918 said:
Puppyroach said:
This is the very reason why MS packed Kinect with the box. Each day I hear about its functionality, I am really glad they did it since I get a true media box that is also a very powerful gaming machine.

yes because apps can't be included without a motion control camera and they're soooo difficult to use with a controller (literally requires less movement without camera).  Also I'm sure Eye functionality can be patched in if people really start complaining.  Most won't though because most have figured out how to use dpads by now.

You sound almost exactly like a certain Mr Ballmer when he dissed smartphones and tablets since normal phones and computers in so many ways were superior products :).

I always use Kinect with Netflix nowadays. Using the controller might in some ways be more effective but the very concept of not having to use anything but your voice and hands to control your media center is very attractive to alot of us looking for improved experiences.

I am not in the console industry to have the most effective time with my favourite console: in that case I would have gone with a computer and keyboard/mouse since they will always be technically beyond and above any controller.

Why do you think people get excited by tings like virtual reality and such is not because gaming becomes more "effective", but more immersive. That is what I also look for in my media experience, and Kinect offers just that.