By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Has More Preorders Than X1 "By Long Shot 150:30(in his store)" says GameStop Manager

bananaking21 said:

Just few days time period is left for the launch of Playstation 4 and Xbox One, both Sony and Microsoft are leaving no stone unturned to make it a massive success. 

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have revealed pre-order figures for both consoles, however a GameStop Store manager via a recent AMA on Reddit provided details regarding which among PS4 and Xbox One has more pre-orders.

This GameStop store manager was "How many PS4 perorders have you received at your store in total?", to which he replied:

"I think my store hit ~150 vs ~30 XBone"

Reddit user "kilogttam" added: "It's a lot more than I expected but I keep seeing people reporting ~3x as many PS4 preorders as Xbox One."

To this GameStop Manager replied: "Yupp, the only store I saw with more XBone pre orders than PS4 was a mall store, had like 110 PS4 and 115 Xbone. Otherwise on average, there are a decent amount more PS4 pre orders."

Later on Reddit user "silverstax" asked him: "Which system has more preorders?"

GameStop Manager replied: "PS4 by a long shot, ~150 to ~30

Silverstax went on to have more clarification and so asked: "At just your store, or is that the averse age ratio for many GameStop stores?

To this GameStop Manager replied: "That is for my store. On avg there have been more PS4's than XB One pre orders. some stores may have more Xb's than PS4's but from what I saw not by much."

So guys if details revealed by this GameStop Manager is anything to go by, PS4 pre-orders are way ahead of Xbox One.

You can read full AMA HERE.

source:  http://www.gamepur.com/news/12678-ps4-has-more-pre-orders-xbox-one-long-shot-15030-says-gamestop-manager.html

Personally i think the only way this is possible is if that sony just has a lot more stock ready than the xbox one.

Stop it. You're spreading too much good PS4 news. It doesn't balance out the bad Xbox One news.

Around the Network
Landguy said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Landguy said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Right now I don't think PS4 will outsell Xbone because of the lower price, but rather because Sony seems to be shipping a lot more units worldwide. The price will become a big factor once the consoles become much more readily available. Even the Wii U was doing crazy when it first launched IIRC, but then it flopped.

I agree with this comment mostly.

Once the fanboys have their systems and the furor of the new release and holiday season pass, the real competition begins.  Weh March 1st hits and there is general availability of both consoles, we will see how things shake out.  If you watch that basic video of the Demo of the XB1 that is in the other thread, you will see that M$ is going after every person with a tv and internet.  They don't want to just get the people who shop at Gamestop or frequent GAF or VGchartz.  They want EVERYONE.  THey are spending enough money to get the awareness level of the system beyond the "core" gamers. 

The argument failure by most here is that the $100 price difference between the PS4 and XB1 will hurt the XB1 after the launch period passes.  I agree with that sentiment only in the aspect that it will impact sales to people looking to buy a GAME system only.  People looking to buy a media center or a game system that has a media center focus will be inclined to go XB1 just from the media splash.  Then, the media splash will also help when more of the Kinect games become available and people can see how improved this whole system is compared to last gen(especially fitness stuff).  Family games will drive the system again. 

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is going to sell the best globally without a doubt.  But Europe and the US will be decided by your Mom's and Dad's, not the gamers.

The problem with that viewpoint is actually the price point. Mass market appeal can only really be gained by a low priced console, such as the case with Wii and its casual gaming focus when it launched at only $249.99. A $500 box is only going to be bought by the hardcore enthusiasts.

At such a price, the general public aren't going to buy a console just to be able to control their TV with gesture or easy UI, especially when their smart TVs and other smart devices pretty much do the exact same thing. Perhaps the Xbone could get some mass market attention with Kinect games and a TV focus, but I see that only happening many years down the line when the box has dropped below $299.99. But even then with the advent of so many smart devices which offer casual gaming and TV/Netflix services, it is going to be tough.

The price point is a problem for the bottom half of the market, but not the top half.  If $500 was a proble, there wouldn't be 200 million ipads out there.  The average sell price of the ipad is almost $700.  The Ipad Mini average is $530.

If the masses are convinced that something is worth it, they will pay and they will do it with s smile on their face.

This point has been brought up before but the IPad and the Xbox don't serve the same purpose. Yes they have overlapping functionalities, but they aren't exactly the same. Kinect serves more or less like a remote control for your TV (apart from gaming). The actual purpose of the box itself is to play games, and selling $60 games to the casuals on a $500 console is tough now when they are used to playing free games on tablets once they have payed the initial $500-$700. And for a games console, the video game sales are what rake in the cash.

The real challenge I see MS facing is the fact that they risk losing the mid-core. The people who play COD or Madden or AC every year. With the PS4 having the better multiplats and a lot of the early adopters going to the PS4, there is a big chance a lot of these people are going to be dragged over to the PS4 by their friends who adopted the PS4 early and the lower price point. Casuals will come into the equation far later in the cycle.

kitler53 said:
AlwaysRight said:

Can't be true because our resident "insider" said no console will annihilate the other.

BenVTrigger said:

1. There is no bomba here. Anyone suggesting either PS4 or X1 will be a flop at launch and that their preferred console will annihilate the other is in for a rude awakening. The PS4 / X1 launch will be the biggest the industry has ever seen.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5765039

So is this guy wrong or this is forum poster talking out of his ass?

BenV is reliable and these two statements aren't mutually exclusive.  the OP clearly states (now at least) that he is talking about 1 store.  BenV is talking USA wide.  regional differences are to be expected.  

i don't think ps4 will outsell xbone by 3:1 in the US.   it's just not going to happen like that...  1.5:1 - 1:1  in favor is ps4 is the range i'm personally expecting.  i think that falls well in line with BenV's statements of "neither will flop or annihilate".

in the rest of the world, however, i expect ps4 to pull ahead by a good margin.  the shear number of additional markets ps4 is launching in should be enough to guarentee that.

We'll see how reliable he is won't we?

The one store is the 150:30, he goes on to state: On avg there have been more PS4's than XB One pre orders.

1.5x in the US is annihilation. That's 60% market vs 40% in the US alone. When you consider this, worldwide we should expect much worse for XBO.

70% vs 30% not out of the realm of possibility. That's complete annihilation.

AlwaysRight said:

We'll see how reliable he is won't we?

The one store is the 150:30, he goes on to state: On avg there have been more PS4's than XB One pre orders.

1.5x in the US is annihilation. That's 60% market vs 40% in the US alone. When you consider this, worldwide we should expect much worse for XBO.

for me he's already proven himself.  a few years back he came in and posted a few threads that our US numbers were wrong and not capturing the current trends correctly.  then shipment numbers came in and vgchartz made like a 1M+ adjustment puting us exactly in line with BenV.   he's very open about only have gamestop numbers but when that's a good chunk of the US market.  he doesn't post numbers ever when he sees a trend he's always spot on.

I would be happy if PS4 just stayed level with Xbone in the states, a win by any amount would pretty much ensure the generation is Sony's.

Around the Network
AlwaysRight said:

The local MediaMarkt already sold several CoD for PS4 today (nothing on sight for sale for XBox One). This surely proves that there will be 100% vs 0% annihilation here, or do I make a mistake?

Hi,

I´m living in a mid-size town in northern germany. We have two Gamestop´s in the city. The one where I have pre-ordered my PS4 has a 75-15 leadership for the PS4.

drkohler said:
AlwaysRight said:

The local MediaMarkt already sold several CoD for PS4 today (nothing on sight for sale for XBox One). This surely proves that there will be 100% vs 0% annihilation here, or do I make a mistake?

This is not a remotely analogous statement, but since I can already tell logic isn't your thing I'll lay it out for you formally.

P1) PS4 has higher preorders than XBO on average in the US.

P2) XBO top market is the US.

C) PS4 will outsell the XBO worldwide by some margin.

Your logic:

P1) One store sold several copies of CoD for PS4.

P2) Same store sold 0 copies of CoD for XBO.

C) No copies of CoD for XBO will ever be sold at this location.

You didn't even come remotely close to providing an analogous statement. You didn't even come remotely close to providing a valid deductive argument. Maybe you should stick to whatever you're good at?

Well, we expected as much... Things might have been very bad at them old times before the 180. Even with the aid of the U-turn and a number of moves made to appeal the consumers' return, we still see such differences appear.

I expect a Sony PR guy announcing both PS3>360 sales and triumphant launch figures right after the holiday season.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Its done, PS4 won the launch.

PS4 will outsell Xbone in US.

In the world...Fatality

In France, pre order for the biggest game shop are 5 to 1

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m