By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Has More Preorders Than X1 "By Long Shot 150:30(in his store)" says GameStop Manager

AlwaysRight said:

Can't be true because our resident "insider" said no console will annihilate the other.

BenVTrigger said:

1. There is no bomba here. Anyone suggesting either PS4 or X1 will be a flop at launch and that their preferred console will annihilate the other is in for a rude awakening. The PS4 / X1 launch will be the biggest the industry has ever seen.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5765039

So is this guy wrong or this is forum poster talking out of his ass?

BenV is reliable and these two statements aren't mutually exclusive.  the OP clearly states (now at least) that he is talking about 1 store.  BenV is talking USA wide.  regional differences are to be expected.  

i don't think ps4 will outsell xbone by 3:1 in the US.   it's just not going to happen like that...  1.5:1 - 1:1  in favor is ps4 is the range i'm personally expecting.  i think that falls well in line with BenV's statements of "neither will flop or annihilate".

in the rest of the world, however, i expect ps4 to pull ahead by a good margin.  the shear number of additional markets ps4 is launching in should be enough to guarentee that.

Around the Network

Right now I don't think PS4 will outsell Xbone because of the lower price, but rather because Sony seems to be shipping a lot more units worldwide. The price will become a big factor once the consoles become much more readily available. Even the Wii U was doing crazy when it first launched IIRC, but then it flopped.

Now this is definately the best anecdotal pre-order evidence i have seen so far. From a technical standpoint.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Torillian said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Torillian said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Anything less than 20% advantage for the PS4, that is the price difference, will be a statistical tie in the US.

There is many indication that Xbox One might overship the PS4 in key territores.

What?  Since when does the price difference come into affect when talking about statistics of sales?  If that were true wouldn't the PS3 be the highest selling console this gen since it got to 80m while being significantly more expensive than 360 and Wii?  

Since Adam Smith founded the basis of modern economics and the  supply/demand relation for prices. To be honest the price/demand ratio not aways is linear.

You could have a product that cost half of its competitor but have trice the demand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Smith

So you're saying that looking at "demand" alone PS4 would have to sell more than 20% to make up for the increased demand it should have solely from having a better price.  I can agree with that but then I guess you'd say that the demand for PS3 was over both the 360 and Wii when you account for those price differences.

Overall it seems like a silly way to think about it because we don't live in a world where the price is the same, and there's a reason the prices are different.  You aren't talking about the same product for a different price.

In the long run many other factors increased the demand for the PS3 over the 360 (BluRay, exclusives, free online, better penetration in Europe markets...). My point is that for the first few months, the PS4 and the Xbox One will be almost identical in both capabilities and features, the major difference to move demand is the price.

PS: For the USA alone, the lower price of the 360 shown that the relation is correct.

UltimateUnknown said:
Right now I don't think PS4 will outsell Xbone because of the lower price, but rather because Sony seems to be shipping a lot more units worldwide. The price will become a big factor once the consoles become much more readily available. Even the Wii U was doing crazy when it first launched IIRC, but then it flopped.

I agree with this comment mostly.

Once the fanboys have their systems and the furor of the new release and holiday season pass, the real competition begins.  Weh March 1st hits and there is general availability of both consoles, we will see how things shake out.  If you watch that basic video of the Demo of the XB1 that is in the other thread, you will see that M$ is going after every person with a tv and internet.  They don't want to just get the people who shop at Gamestop or frequent GAF or VGchartz.  They want EVERYONE.  THey are spending enough money to get the awareness level of the system beyond the "core" gamers. 

The argument failure by most here is that the $100 price difference between the PS4 and XB1 will hurt the XB1 after the launch period passes.  I agree with that sentiment only in the aspect that it will impact sales to people looking to buy a GAME system only.  People looking to buy a media center or a game system that has a media center focus will be inclined to go XB1 just from the media splash.  Then, the media splash will also help when more of the Kinect games become available and people can see how improved this whole system is compared to last gen(especially fitness stuff).  Family games will drive the system again. 

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is going to sell the best globally without a doubt.  But Europe and the US will be decided by your Mom's and Dad's, not the gamers.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

US americans, what are we going to do with you? you don't even care if the product is good or not, you just buy it to be cool...

Landguy said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Once the fanboys have their systems and the furor of the new release and holiday season pass, the real competition begins.  Weh March 1st hits and there is general availability of both consoles, we will see how things shake out.  If you watch that basic video of the Demo of the XB1 that is in the other thread, you will see that M$ is going after every person with a tv and internet.  They don't want to just get the people who shop at Gamestop or frequent GAF or VGchartz.  They want EVERYONE.  THey are spending enough money to get the awareness level of the system beyond the "core" gamers. 

The argument failure by most here is that the $100 price difference between the PS4 and XB1 will hurt the XB1 after the launch period passes.  I agree with that sentiment only in the aspect that it will impact sales to people looking to buy a GAME system only.  People looking to buy a media center or a game system that has a media center focus will be inclined to go XB1 just from the media splash.  Then, the media splash will also help when more of the Kinect games become available and people can see how improved this whole system is compared to last gen(especially fitness stuff).  Family games will drive the system again. 

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is going to sell the best globally without a doubt.  But Europe and the US will be decided by your Mom's and Dad's, not the gamers.

The problem with that viewpoint is actually the price point. Mass market appeal can only really be gained by a low priced console, such as the case with Wii and its casual gaming focus when it launched at only $249.99. A $500 box is only going to be bought by the hardcore enthusiasts.

At such a price, the general public aren't going to buy a console just to be able to control their TV with gesture or easy UI, especially when their smart TVs and other smart devices pretty much do the exact same thing. Perhaps the Xbone could get some mass market attention with Kinect games and a TV focus, but I see that only happening many years down the line when the box has dropped below $299.99. But even then with the advent of so many smart devices which offer casual gaming and TV/Netflix services, it is going to be tough.

UltimateUnknown said:
Landguy said:
UltimateUnknown said:

The problem with that viewpoint is actually the price point. Mass market appeal can only really be gained by a low priced console, such as the case with Wii and its casual gaming focus when it launched at only $249.99. A $500 box is only going to be bought by the hardcore enthusiasts.

At such a price, the general public aren't going to buy a console just to be able to control their TV with gesture or easy UI, especially when their smart TVs and other smart devices pretty much do the exact same thing. Perhaps the Xbone could get some mass market attention with Kinect games and a TV focus, but I see that only happening many years down the line when the box has dropped below $299.99. But even then with the advent of so many smart devices which offer casual gaming and TV/Netflix services, it is going to be tough.

The price point is a problem for the bottom half of the market, but not the top half.  If $500 was a proble, there wouldn't be 200 million ipads out there.  The average sell price of the ipad is almost $700.  The Ipad Mini average is $530.

If the masses are convinced that something is worth it, they will pay and they will do it with s smile on their face.

It is near the end of the end....

great... now if ps4 doesn't out perform x1 in usa by 5:1 then itll flop

One store or not it's bloody obvious that the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One with ease thanks to the sensible price tag.