By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop said to consider selling Xbox business, killing Bing

Lock if old. I stole it from gaf. I want Microsoft to keep Xbox division. Or at least I hope this guy doesnt get selected as CEO. Xbox is a part of microsoft.

Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop said to consider selling Xbox business, killing Bing

Microsoft is currently searching for a new CEO to replace Steve Ballmer who plans to retire within the next 10 months. Recent reports suggest the company has shortlisted Ford CEO Alan Mulally and former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop as external candidates. Mulally has stated he has no intentions to leave Ford, but a Bloomberg report claims that Elop has big plans if he’s made CEO. After a brief stint as the head of Microsoft’s business division, responsible for Office and other products, Elop’s return to Microsoft in the CEO position would reportedly involve a push for Office on Android and iOS.

Elop is reportedly considering a strategy shift away from Microsoft’s tradition of Office running primarily on Windows PCs. Bloomberg reports that Elop is formulating "some broad strategic outlines for Microsoft," in what is likely to be part of the interview process for the CEO position. Elop’s potential strategy is said to involve maximizing sales of Office instead of using it to push Windows PC and tablet sales. Microsoft’s Office and server software has been performing well in recent financial results, while Windows continues to struggle alongside a declining PC industry. Although Office has launched for iOS and Android, Microsoft could certainly do more to offer complete versions on those rival platforms.

Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox if he's made CEO

Bloomberg also suggests that Elop is willing to shut down or sell some major Microsoft businesses. Elop would reportedly considering killing off the company’s Bing search engine, while contemplating selling the Xbox business. Some investors and analysts have previously called for the software giant to split off its Xbox business and give up on search. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen appears to feel the same way. Allen’s $15 billion asset manager, Paul Ghaffari, revealed recently that Bing and Xbox have been distractions for Microsoft. "My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud." Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund claims Microsoft’s financial earnings could be boosted by 40 percent in fiscal 2015 if the company sold its Bing and Xbox businesses.

Any sale of Bing or Xbox seems unlikely, despite continued suggestions over the years. Microsoft is moving to integrate its search engine experience directly into Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone, and the company is just weeks away from launching its next-generation Xbox One console. Bing also powers a number Xbox search and app features. Either way, Microsoft’s CEO search appears to be progressing with some suggesting the company may name a Ballmer successor by the end of the year.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711136

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080192/microsoft-ceo-candidate-stephen-elop-bing-xbox-rumors

Around the Network

they should sell Xbox, im sure it will do perfectly well on its own

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

An alliance with Nintendo could make some sense IMO, it sounds to me like some factions within MS are simply tired of running the game business, Nintendo could step in and run it easily and obviously they are not going to leave the game business as it's their only business. They are right across the street from each other in Redmond/Seattle for one.

Nintendo could take over the Halo franchise and 343 Industries and get Rare back together and let most of the people at the XBox division to probably continue working right from Redmond/Washington. 

Perhaps MS could score something out the deal too, like Windows mobile and Skype on future portable Nintendo devices -- that could be quite a coup for both sides.

I don't think MS would willingly sell to a Android competitor like Google or Samsung. Nintendo is of no threat to MS' wider business goals as they have no aspirations of making a computer/smartphone OS.

Elop outdid himself by destroying what was left of Nokia so that MS could buy it for peanuts. The man is an angel of death for any business.

i'm not sure if i agree with selling off xbox but i can understand the viewpoint that it is a distraction from their core products. if xbone is successful i doubt Elop would actually sell it off but if it flops and is a financial burden i could see him killing it fast and furious.

Around the Network

I believe it will happen. I believe it after reading an article that investers wanted MS to buy Nokia, Balmer to leave and MS to sell the xbox division long before the first two happened and anyone else reported on it.

It makes sense. They have made no money on it and all the previous talk about overtaking the living room is not going to happen because eventually SMART TVs will do it all.

Obviously there is a chance that they won't sell it and I hope that this is what happens. The way I see it they are good for gaming.

Of course if they are going to sell he won't admit it just before the launch. He has to build up the new console first.

I believe this is a CEO candidate who is willing to say anything to get the Job. In other words stir up crap, make investors believe that there are no sacred cows and try to get the JOB. Whether any of this stuff actually happens who knows.

LOL. This wont happen. People on the net are still really trying.

Microsoft are posting record profit in their entire history right now. Bing is gaining every year on Google and Xbox makes a lot of money on 360 generation.

But internet wannabes still trying to rock a boat. That's earning a quarter what Sony is worth in its entirety. Hell Microsoft made profit last quarter half of Apples worth.

selnor1983 said:

Microsoft are posting record profit in their entire history right now. Bing is gaining every year on Google and Xbox makes a lot of money on 360 generation.

But internet wannabes still trying to rock a boat. That's earning a quarter what Sony is worth in its entirety. Hell Microsoft made profit last quarter half of Apples worth.

These are not just people on the net selnor. Some are people very close to MS and Bill Gates.

selnor1983 said:

@bolded - that makes no sense.

and what made MS all that money wasnt bing or xbox, and thats the point.