By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop said to consider selling Xbox business, killing Bing

That asshole Trojan horse, who stole our Nokia...Why won't he just give up.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
bananaking21 said:

but would MS sell the division to their two biggest rivals?

also, it would be fucking awful to see the xbox (or any gaming console of the big three) being bought by apple or google, they would demolish it.

Maybe Samsung? there aren't to many companies that could buy the Xbox divison although I think it's highly unlikely that it does get sold off, but never say never I suppose. 

maybe. but you know coming to think about it, i think Disney should buy it. They are an entertaiment company after all, they have the cash and they have iconic IP's that could help sell the system. also adding Master Chief and the halo univerise to Disney land could be cool. i think it would be a reasonable purchase. though, i honestly dont think MS will sell the xbox division.

You know that would actually be a good idea. I like it Disney and Xbox could be a good combo. 

bananaking21 said:
i dont see them selling either. but lets say they do, who would buy xbox? im not insinuating that nobody would want to buy the division, but wondering who has the money to? who has the deep pockets to buy the division and then pour so much money in the investments it needs? i doubt MS would sell it to apple or google, maybe they would what do i know. maybe amazon could buy it, there were rumors that they are making a console a while back, who knows.

MS would not sell those divisions, they would spin them off as their own company.

DirtyP2002 said:

Who would buy the Xbox business?

The amount of money and talent needed to manufactur a console and run it properly is pretty big.

Who else except Amazon, Google, Samsung or Apple could do this?

Samsung. That would be hella crazy. 

justinian said:
Machiavellian said:
justinian said:
selnor1983 said:
LOL. This wont happen. People on the net are still really trying.

Microsoft are posting record profit in their entire history right now. Bing is gaining every year on Google and Xbox makes a lot of money on 360 generation.

But internet wannabes still trying to rock a boat. That's earning a quarter what Sony is worth in its entirety. Hell Microsoft made profit last quarter half of Apples worth.

These are not just people on the net selnor. Some are people very close to MS and Bill Gates.

Notice how people talk about selling Bing and the Xbox divisions as short term increase in revenue.  This is no different than Sony selling off a few buildings to post a profit.  These are the type of short term money dealings certain investors like to do to get a few nickles in their pockets.  The reason that MS will not get rid of the Xbox division and Bing is because long term goals see those parts of the company becoming more revelant as MS move away from purely software company to a tools and service.  This is MS big push into a tools and service company and Bing is a tool and service and so is the Xbox Division.  You can already see it with the branding everything Xbox and the direction of the console.

You do present a good point. Part of the problem is that certain investers do not want this. They want MS to return to what they do best and are winning with rather than branch out into markets in which they can likely struggle.

The outcome depends on who wins this "vote".

There isn't enough investor to make MS change whatever course they want to go.  Its not like this talk hasn't been around for years.  Even now MS is beating estimates when Office and Windows are not selling great which means their other services and tools are holding up the fort.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
i dont see them selling either. but lets say they do, who would buy xbox? im not insinuating that nobody would want to buy the division, but wondering who has the money to? who has the deep pockets to buy the division and then pour so much money in the investments it needs? i doubt MS would sell it to apple or google, maybe they would what do i know. maybe amazon could buy it, there were rumors that they are making a console a while back, who knows.

I don't think anyone buys them, it can simply be spun off, sold to investors and split from Microsoft as a whole, over time the two drift apart as no longer the same entity. They simply form the company, sell it to everyone, and done.

justinian said:
selnor1983 said:
LOL. This wont happen. People on the net are still really trying.

Microsoft are posting record profit in their entire history right now. Bing is gaining every year on Google and Xbox makes a lot of money on 360 generation.

But internet wannabes still trying to rock a boat. That's earning a quarter what Sony is worth in its entirety. Hell Microsoft made profit last quarter half of Apples worth.

These are not just people on the net selnor. Some are people very close to MS and Bill Gates.

The fact you mention Bill Gates says it all. 

Ill say again, Microsoft is better now Financially than EVER before. 

So they change things why?

Actually it all makes sense now. The Xbox one with it's whole DRM structure was obviously designed with one goal in mind.

"Profitability from day one"

And i think that was something requested from above. Of course now that they had to throw out most of the restrictions, and also strong competition that they have not expected, that may not be that that easy.

Now higher ups may not be very happy with how the situation unfolds lately.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I am the next MS CEO.
The question is who am i?

selnor1983 said:

The fact you mention Bill Gates says it all.

Ill say again, Microsoft is better now Financially than EVER before.

So they change things why?

Because the Xbox didn't give them the profit that executives and investidors expect.