By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 - What Happened?

Tagged games:

hollabackenny said:

Yeah, I saw around 50K on Halo 3 the other week after it went free with Gold. Was cool to see. I still play Halo 3 numerous times a year. 

Even before the game went free I saw the population vary from 5k - 10k. That's pretty amazing considering how old the game is and there are plenty of other multiplayer games on the market.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
iceland said:
I can't help to feel this thread was posted by a Playstation fan trying to show how MS's top game is dying
. Regardless... I'd say Halo 4 isn't a bad game but a bad Halo game. Most fans were pretty disappointed with it, including me. We just want our arena shooter back.

Please.  Aldro and Etho are two of the biggest Xbox fans around.  They bleed green.

"They then issued a patch a week later that fixed the bug and took the free Crimson map pack away from the people that redeemed it. Hrmm, for something intended, strange they had to patch the game to end the trial period."

If they did that to me, I would be taking it to consumer affairs as that's actually illegal here. (Being bait and switch tactic.)
That's why Ubisoft had to let me keep it's entire game collection when they stuffed up my order and gave me every single game for free, they can't go back on that legally.

I enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, I loved Halo 3's Multiplayer, I just wish it was good in both, but I honestly can't stand Reach and Halo 4's Multiplayer.
I'll still pick up Halo 5 of course, I love Sci-Fi.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

prayformojo said:
There is no bigger Halo vet than me (played the first game at launch through Halo 4) and let me tell you, Halo lost it's soul the day Bungie waked away.

It's sad, but that's life. Nothing lasts forever.

I'd definitely disagree. As far as single player is concerned it's as good as always but where the MP lost it's soul was with Halo: Reach.

I still play it all the time. Its still a lot of fun, but I've gotten good at it. Some of my friends who haven't played in a while hate it because there have been so many changes since they last played. I guess it takes time getting used to. After the weapons update, I didn't really like it that much either.

The population numbers have stabilized but it went down a lot when GTA V launched and the people that leave never return. I guess big releases hurt it so it may go even lower due to Battlefield 4 and COD ghosts.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Talal said:
chris0409 said:
ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:
End of gen fatigue, I'd say (coupled with so much more competition, something Halo 2 didn't have to worry about when the 360 launched).

Halo 5 will have a HUGE following, ad campaign, and (yes, I'm calling it), the highest sales of the series - proving there's nothing to worry about for the series.

How do you explain the possibility to Halo 3 MP have more active users online than Halo 4 MP? It is not only end of gen fatigue... the Halo 4 MP is broke... they need to back to what make Halo multiplayer good in Halo 5.

Define "broke", because that is a complete opinion and not a fact at all. Every major Halo installment after Halo 2 had to deal with a massive number of nostalgic fans. Halo 3 released 2007, that game had two full years until the first BIG competition (MW2) appeared. Until MW3 (2011) COD sales have increased, in the same year Battlefield 3 arrived on consoles.

On top of that, MANY other games became very popular (i.e. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Borderlands, GTA, Gears of War). Halo 4 released in a way more difficult time than it's predecessors.

I don't like this argument. It's Halo. Who cares about the competition. CoD kept growing year after year even with more competition. Halo should be able to do what CoD did. It used to be the biggest shooter on the 360 it isn't a small game that can't compete with CoD.

Edit: Also look at GTA 5 it crushed all the records even with all the competition and all the GTA style games out there.

You're misinterpreting my argument, sales are still good, but people don't necessarily stick to one single game very long  with this competition. NEVER have I said that it can't compete with COD, from the 360's standpoint it's the only shooter that comes close to COD (saleswise).

ethomaz said:
Talal said:

It doesn't have the word of mouth that Halo 3 had. It also doesn't have the same appeal that 3 had. I don't know anyone that still plays Halo 4 regularly, but with Halo 3 I and a lot of my friends played it regularly for years.

Some GAFers said the Halo 3 MP today have more activity than Halo 4 MP... I don't know if true.

Probably does especially since they just gave it away for free on games with gold last month.

iceland said:
I can't help to feel this thread was posted by a Playstation fan trying to show how MS's top game is dying. Regardless... I'd say Halo 4 isn't a bad game but a bad Halo game. Most fans were pretty disappointed with it, including me. We just want our arena shooter back.

I'm not surprised I haven't touched Halo 4 multiplayer in several months.

What happened? MP sucked, that's what happened. Every Halo MP before was fun as hell months and years after launch (and still are)....Halo 4? I lost interest 2 weeks later.