By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 - What Happened?

Tagged games:

CGI-Quality said:
End of gen fatigue, I'd say (coupled with so much more competition, something Halo 2 didn't have to worry about when the 360 launched).

Halo 5 will have a HUGE following, ad campaign, and (yes, I'm calling it), the highest sales of the series - proving there's nothing to worry about for the series.

How do you explain the possibility to Halo 3 MP have more active users online than Halo 4 MP? It is not only end of gen fatigue... the Halo 4 MP is broke... they need to back to what make Halo multiplayer good in Halo 5.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
The two biggest reasons why Halo 4 is essentially a flop from a MP standpoint is for two main reasons. The first is that CoD is far more popular and the second reason is that their is no support for ranked matches. Halo 3 did the whole ranked/non-ranked matches perfectly and Halo Reach whilst not being very good still had ranked matches which helped it out. By taking out the competitiveness they took out what I believe is the soul of Halo MP.

I think that Halo 4 MP is fun but like toadslayer said, it just felt like something was off or missing (besides the lack of ranked playlists that is) and I have no problem admitting that I've had far more fun with Black Ops 2 then I had with Halo 4 MP, which is a first for me.

Basically I've kind of given up on the MP aspect of Halo. Now I'm only going to get it for the excellent single player. If the next Halo's MP turns out to be really good, great; but I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.

How sad it is to see how far the mighty have fallen.

I don't really understand the difference between ranked an unranked matches.  Most games seem to me to just have very simple matchmaking, like cod you just hop on and select whatever game mode you want to play.  So whenever I went to play halo or gears I got a little confused when trying to select what to play.

Also, I really like halo 4 mp, although I prefered reach.

all i have to say is i'm blown away at how detailed that analysis was. holy crap.

What happened? Competition. It's harder to survive with shooters like COD, Battlefield and dozens of games from other genres hanging around.

Halo 4 was by far the best Halo IMO, 343i made a great game and I believe Halo 5 will be a next-gen beast.

areason said:
what is the point of this? all shooters have been declining in activity thanks to cod/bf

Halo Reach did almost as good as Halo 3 and CoD was very popular then too, if not at its peak.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Talal said:

It doesn't have the word of mouth that Halo 3 had. It also doesn't have the same appeal that 3 had. I don't know anyone that still plays Halo 4 regularly, but with Halo 3 I and a lot of my friends played it regularly for years.

Some GAFers said the Halo 3 MP today have more activity than Halo 4 MP... I don't know if true.

It would probably have to do with Halo 3 being free for half a month. 

ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:
End of gen fatigue, I'd say (coupled with so much more competition, something Halo 2 didn't have to worry about when the 360 launched).

Halo 5 will have a HUGE following, ad campaign, and (yes, I'm calling it), the highest sales of the series - proving there's nothing to worry about for the series.

How do you explain the possibility to Halo 3 MP have more active users online than Halo 4 MP? It is not only end of gen fatigue... the Halo 4 MP is broke... they need to back to what make Halo multiplayer good in Halo 5.

Probably because Halo 3 was just free on Xbox Live? So it brought in more attention.

Bristow9091 said:
I bought Halo 4 just to play MP with my mates, but we got bored within the first two weeks, lol. Although same thing happened with me and Reach... and Gears of War 3, so yeah lol.

Can't remember if it was Reach or 4, but one of them had Griff ball or whatever it was called, and that was actually more fun to play than TDM and whatever, or Slayer, whatever it was called, I don't know...

Sometimes I think I put too much effort in, I'll buy a game for a system I don't particularly play anyways, and pay for the online, just so I can play with my mates... lol (All my mates are 360 gamers, I'm a PS3 gamer), although thankfully they're all moving to PS4 next gen lol, so I don't have to waste money to play with them.

But you have to pay for online multiplayer on PS4..so what's the difference?

ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:

Define "broke", because that is a complete opinion and not a fact at all. Every major Halo installment after Halo 2 had to deal with a massive number of nostalgic fans. Halo 3 released 2007, that game had two full years until the first BIG competition (MW2) appeared. Until MW3 (2011) COD sales have increased, in the same year Battlefield 3 arrived on consoles.

On top of that, MANY other games became very popular (i.e. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Borderlands, GTA, Gears of War). Halo 4 released in a way more difficult time than it's predecessors.

Bristow9091 said:
jlmurph2 said:
Bristow9091 said:
I bought Halo 4 just to play MP with my mates, but we got bored within the first two weeks, lol. Although same thing happened with me and Reach... and Gears of War 3, so yeah lol.

Can't remember if it was Reach or 4, but one of them had Griff ball or whatever it was called, and that was actually more fun to play than TDM and whatever, or Slayer, whatever it was called, I don't know...

Sometimes I think I put too much effort in, I'll buy a game for a system I don't particularly play anyways, and pay for the online, just so I can play with my mates... lol (All my mates are 360 gamers, I'm a PS3 gamer), although thankfully they're all moving to PS4 next gen lol, so I don't have to waste money to play with them.

But you have to pay for online multiplayer on PS4..so what's the difference?

Because I already pay for Playstation Plus anyways, so it's not like I'll be paying extra...

Many people are used to Xbox Live already. I have it until 9/16 just from Ebay Deals.