By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 - What Happened?

Tagged games:

chris0409 said:

Define "broke", because that is a complete opinion and not a fact at all. Every major Halo installment after Halo 2 had to deal with a massive number of nostalgic fans. Halo 3 released 2007, that game had two full years until the first BIG competition (MW2) appeared. Until MW3 (2011) COD sales have increased, in the same year Battlefield 3 arrived on consoles.

On top of that, MANY other games became very popular (i.e. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Borderlands, GTA, Gears of War). Halo 4 released in a way more difficult time than it's predecessors.

Ask for any Halo fan and he will explain why the Halo 4 MP is broke... I already said that six months ago (in March or April if I remember... I even create a thread about with graphs and stuffs).

Around the Network

It's really not that hard to explain why Halo 4 population has dropped so low. Here are the main reasons summed up:

1. 343 decided not to have a beta for Halo 4, so when the game launched it included all types of bugs, imbalances, etc.
2. Halo 4 was rushed. MS wanted this game out during the holiday so that is why it didn't include basic features that were in previous Halo games at launch. Along with bugs, etc.
3. Stiffer competition. Cod is a completely different beast than it was during Halo 3, same with BF and other games.

Halo 4 is a completely different game now than when it launched, and now that 343 has experience under their belt Halo 5 will be a better game and have a much smoother launch. BETA this time please!

kitler53 said:
all i have to say is i'm blown away at how detailed that analysis was. holy crap.

Yes, most impressive thing I have read on here in a while!

It is near the end of the end....

ethomaz said:

chris0409 said:

Define "broke", because that is a complete opinion and not a fact at all. Every major Halo installment after Halo 2 had to deal with a massive number of nostalgic fans. Halo 3 released 2007, that game had two full years until the first BIG competition (MW2) appeared. Until MW3 (2011) COD sales have increased, in the same year Battlefield 3 arrived on consoles.

On top of that, MANY other games became very popular (i.e. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Borderlands, GTA, Gears of War). Halo 4 released in a way more difficult time than it's predecessors.

Ask for any Halo fan and he will explain why the Halo 4 MP is broke... I already said that six months ago (in March or April if I remember... I even create a thread about with graphs and stuffs).

Nowerdays it's easier to hear "protesting" voices of the unsatisfied, i.e. Halo 2 MP had major problems at launch and really, only a few (those who actually played online) knew of it. Now the whole world knows about the resolution war, about framerate issues, about delays etc.

I still stick to the main reasons: nostalgia and the risen competition.

chris0409 said:

Nowerdays it's easier to hear "protesting" voices of the unsatisfied, i.e. Halo 2 MP had major problems at launch and really, only a few (those who actually played online) knew of it. Now the whole world knows about the resolution war, about framerate issues, about delays etc.

It was not the issues... it was the MP itself... Halo 2 even with major problemas was maybe the best MP already created for a Halo game (yeah most fans consider it close or even above Halo 3 MP).

Most fans that tried Halo 4 MP got bored fast... that just show in population far way lower than Reach MP (not considered a good MP too).

Around the Network
WrathofTank said:
yo_john117 said:
The two biggest reasons why Halo 4 is essentially a flop from a MP standpoint is for two main reasons. The first is that CoD is far more popular and the second reason is that their is no support for ranked matches. Halo 3 did the whole ranked/non-ranked matches perfectly and Halo Reach whilst not being very good still had ranked matches which helped it out. By taking out the competitiveness they took out what I believe is the soul of Halo MP.

I think that Halo 4 MP is fun but like toadslayer said, it just felt like something was off or missing (besides the lack of ranked playlists that is) and I have no problem admitting that I've had far more fun with Black Ops 2 then I had with Halo 4 MP, which is a first for me.

Basically I've kind of given up on the MP aspect of Halo. Now I'm only going to get it for the excellent single player. If the next Halo's MP turns out to be really good, great; but I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.

How sad it is to see how far the mighty have fallen.

I don't really understand the difference between ranked an unranked matches.  Most games seem to me to just have very simple matchmaking, like cod you just hop on and select whatever game mode you want to play.  So whenever I went to play halo or gears I got a little confused when trying to select what to play.

Also, I really like halo 4 mp, although I prefered reach.

Basically a ranked playlist is one where you compete competitively  for a rank (for instance, Halo 3 was rank 1-50 for a bunch of different playlists) whereas unranked is more relaxed in nature.

Halo MP has always been very competitive so when they took it away, they got rid of a large reason as to why it's so popular.

ethomaz said:

chris0409 said:

Nowerdays it's easier to hear "protesting" voices of the unsatisfied, i.e. Halo 2 MP had major problems at launch and really, only a few (those who actually played online) knew of it. Now the whole world knows about the resolution war, about framerate issues, about delays etc.

It was not the issues... it was the MP itself... Halo 2 even with major problemas was maybe the best MP already created for a Halo game (yeah most fans consider it close or even above Halo 3 MP).

Most fans that tried Halo 4 MP got bored fast... that just show in population far way lower than Reach MP (not considered a good MP too).

Quite wrong, Halo 2 MP started shining AFTER the famous Halo TU.

It's like you think the nostalgic side of this is neglectable. Halo 2 released in 2004, that's 8 whole years before Halo 4's launch. Things happen after such a long time, video games are/were just more fun in younger years, or at least they left a better impression, and I think many can agree with me (including you, ethomaz) on that point. I guarentee you, a few weeks after the launch of the next Halo there will be quite a lot of people hating on it "because this and that was better in Halo 1/2/3/Reach/4", that has ALWAYS been the case.

And yes, many got bored fast but again: That is not the result of Halo 4's MP being broken. Like nostalgia, you cannot look past the variety, quality and the steadily rising popularity of the competition. Reach lasted longer even though it is considered the worst MP (but by all means NOT a bad one) by many people, there you have it.

ethomaz said:

chris0409 said:

For a game you don't play you sure seem to critizes it a lot. 

Landguy said:
kitler53 said:
all i have to say is i'm blown away at how detailed that analysis was. holy crap.

Yes, most impressive thing I have read on here in a while!

nice change of pace really.

smroadkill15 said:

For a game you don't play you sure seem to critizes it a lot.

What game? I played all Halos except the RTS.