By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS looks to Gaming and Cloud (no not THAT Cloud VGC) plus $81bn IN CASH to weather PC storm

Seece said:
DirtyP2002 said:

MS is as healthy as ever. Actually they have more money, bigger headcount, more revenue than they ever had. And this is in a time, when people keep repeating the "MS is doomed" phrase.

When MS keeps on buying companies like in the past years:

2011: Skype for 8.5 billion USD
2012: Yammer for 1.2 billion USD
2013: Nokia for 7.2 billion USD

you clearly see how EASY Microsoft could win this minor console war thing. Let them invest just 50% of the money they spent on Skype for the Xbox brand and it is game over for Playstation and Nintendo.

Just for comparison, here are some videogame companies and their market cap:

Capcom: 1.3 billion USD
Konami: 3.5 billion USD
Square Enix: 1.8 billion USD
TakeTwo: 1.6 billion USD
KOEI Tecmo: 1 billion USD
Activision Blizzard: 8.7 billion USD

Indeed, it'd be interesting to see what MS would do if they started losing serious ground to playstation again.

EDD made $1b~ last year, if they managed to get TT for 1.6b then it'd more than be worth it.

The thing is that it doesn't even matter, if they can be the most profitable then how many they can sell becomes irrelevant, it's like 3rd parties and a lot of people hate Nintendo for whatever reason, but they are healthy because they make good profits, Sony is clearly the worst in this category at the end of the 7th gen.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
JayWood2010 said:

That is not what derailment is. Do you see Sony in the article?

Yet here we are discussing Sony and a range of other sub related topics. If someone replies to my post in an unreasonable manner then that persons posting history is relevant to our discussion. If you feel strongly about it being off topic then report me and lets see where that goes.

Everything i said is factual, logical and backed up. What part of what i said isnt? Point it out.

Jay what you are saying is different from what Selnor said. Please realise here that you jumped onto a a post i made to Selnor not to you. This is why i pointed out that you mixing up arguments. I am not trying to attack you. Selnor was very clear in his post. I use quotation marks for a reason. "Maybe they should have priced PS4 with The One." Price the PS4 at $500. That is what "with" means in that context. He didnt say close to it...he didnt say at break even for Sony he didnt say at profit for Sony. He said with the One. That is the statement i said didnt make sense.

Discussion about the eye is really pointless unless we know what the hell it costs. We dont know what it costs. So how do you $500 is at a profit? Then you back where you started.

And why on earth are bolding " PS4 IS BEING SOLD AT A LOSS." not once have I questioned that in this thread.

So this conversation had something to do with something that happened months ago? ok then

And no, you said it would make no sense for the PS4 to be $500 if they raised it when he said it would.  PS4 is already $450.  Would it be meaningless?  Depends on how you look at it.  If you want to gain market share and lose money then they are good at the price they are.  If they want to lose market share and gain money then raise the price.

Just so you know im not trying to argue with you either.  It is more of a discussion, so no reason to instantly get upset because someone is in a disagreement with you. If there something im missing then point it out. Maybe Im just misunderstanding you, but you will need to point ut how and by bringing up things from another thread certainly isnt the way to do so.

I believe $500 would be a profit or close to it because sony said they are making a small loss.  I would expect less than a $50 loss on what they make it sound so that is why i think $50 would put them in the green.

However this whole conversation isnt really of much point now since it is all hypothetical in the first place. 

I am speaking about the base price of the consoles. When Sony and MS speak about losses/margins etc. they are talking about the officially released price.

We dont know what the margins is on the 450 bundle.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:

I am speaking about the base price of the consoles. When Sony and MS speak about losses/margins etc. they are talking about the officially released price.

That helps because im talking about both models.  $400 is the entry fee but with a $50 increase it would be a $450 entry fee of course.

Anyways I would assume that the loss is about the same with the camera included though I dont know that for a fact.  

well bottom line we always come back at the same silly war.... on one side you have crazy gamers going all out on sales number.... abnd on the other side you have the companies and some people that care about what matters... which is revenue and even more net profit.... Today in my head the console war is still looking like that Nintendo Wii numero uno by far and for long while Microsoft Xbox 360 second and with still a good margin and that is inclucing a $3bn loss with the RRoD fiasco.... and Sony PS3 in third position and will be their for quiet some time....

to me it looks like between PS4 and Xbox One it will be the same... everything is pointing out at MS XB being more profitable than Sony PS4 even with PS4 leading the console war... which in the end is more relevant even for gamers that care mostly about sales number, because it means one business model is more viable than the other and therefor more logical to keep supporting in the long run by the concerned company...

JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:

That helps because im talking about both models.  $400 is the entry fee but with a $50 increase it would be a $450 entry fee of course.

Anyways I would assume that the loss is about the same with the camera included though I dont know that for a fact.  

Yep the loss would probably be the same. So do you not agree that pricing the $400 sku at $500 wouldnt make sense?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:

I'm sorry but your whole way of looking at this pricing situation seems very simplistic to me, no offense.

You can't just say that if Sony raised the price 50-100$ that they'd suddenly make more profit, sure if all they'd make money of was the console itself then that might be right but that really isn't the case.

Let's look at what Sony is really making money of with this console, there is the console itself then the accessories, games and subscriptions. Now I think it is very safe to assume that Sony would sell less consoles if they priced the console higher, so that already would mean less games, subscriptions and accessories sold. But even the guys that still buy the console, do you think the will buy the same amount of games with the PS4 if they've already paid 500$ for the console than they would've bought if the console was cheaper? I don't think they would.

We could also go into how Sony would probably need to pack in more with the console if they sold it at a higher price and how economies of scale would come into play since Sony would probably produce less because of lowered demand, thus possibly raising the average cost of producing a PS4, but that would all be very speculative.

Fact is, just raising the price of a product like the PS4 and expecting bigger profits is really discounting alot of other factors that come in play with these consoles

DerNebel said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm sorry but your whole way of looking at this pricing situation seems very simplistic to me, no offense.

You can't just say that if Sony raised the price 50-100$ that they'd suddenly make more profit, sure if all they'd make money of was the console itself then that might be right but that really isn't the case.

Let's look at what Sony is really making money of with this console, there is the console itself then the accessories, games and subscriptions. Now I think it is very safe to assume that Sony would sell less consoles if they priced the console higher, so that already would mean less games, subscriptions and accessories sold. But even the guys that still buy the console, do you think the will buy the same amount of games with the PS4 if they've already paid 500$ for the console than they would've bought if the console was cheaper? I don't think they would.

We could also go into how Sony would probably need to pack in more with the console if they sold it at a higher price and how economies of scale would come into play since Sony would probably produce less because of lowered demand, thus possibly raising the average cost of producing a PS4, but that would all be very speculative.

Fact is, just raising the price of a product like the PS4 and expecting bigger profits is really discounting alot of other factors that come in play with these consoles

I did not say that they would or would not make more money that way.  I said what Selnor said made sense.  In reality we do not know which way would make more money than the other but if the past is any indication both Xbox and Playstation has lost more money than they have brought in in early years do to taking a loss on the console.

However Sony said this time around it is a small loss which could mean that one or two games could put them in the green again.  As I really do not know the loss that they are taking other than "small" i cant comment on how much they need to sell afterwards or whether it is smart or not.

There is perks of being sold at a loss but it is also a gamble in other words.  It is always ideal to make a profit immediately rather than lossing millions and having to gain it back.  

Shinobi-san said:
JayWood2010 said:

Read my comment above.  Though in short I will say that what sony is doing is not dumb for what theyre doing but what i was originally saying is it is always preferred to make a profit immediately rather than losing millions and having to gain it back.  Which is why what selnor said makes sense, though i never said i agreed with making it a higher price either.

Microsoft makes a shit load of money? What else is new?

JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
JayWood2010 said:

Read my comment above.  Though in short I will say that what sony is doing is not dumb for what theyre doing but what i was originally saying is it is always preferred to make a profit immediately rather than losing millions and having to gain it back.  Which is why what selnor said makes sense, though i never said i agreed with making it a higher price either.

Selling at a profit does make sense overcourse. But not given the real life situation. You cant make a statement like that in isolation of the state of industry, competition and environment that you in.