By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS looks to Gaming and Cloud (no not THAT Cloud VGC) plus $81bn IN CASH to weather PC storm

JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
selnor1983 said:
No they shouldnt. But Sony arent being practical in all areas of their profit margins. Maybe they should have priced PS4 with The One. It seems like Sony wouldnt mind losing money to gain marketshare. Thing is they arent to great financially right now. They need to make a good profit.

Your comment makes no sense. MS has Kinect, that's why the system costs more. It would make NO SENSE for Sony to have a $500 console without Kinect.

Actually what he said makes perfect sense.  PS4 is being sold at a loss.  XBO is being sold for a profit.

Small loss or break even. Not at a profit. I'd imagine it's about the same sony, one sub and a game to make a profit. 

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
selnor1983 said:
No they shouldnt. But Sony arent being practical in all areas of their profit margins. Maybe they should have priced PS4 with The One. It seems like Sony wouldnt mind losing money to gain marketshare. Thing is they arent to great financially right now. They need to make a good profit.

Actually what he said makes perfect sense.  PS4 is being sold at a loss.  XBO is being sold for a profit.

Small loss or break even. Not at a profit. I'd imagine it's about the same sony, one sub and a game to make a profit. 

Microsoft breaking even or making profit at launch with XBO - http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/5/4698606/xbox-one-unit-sales-will-make-money-at-launch-says-microsoft

Sony Taking loss on PS4 at launch - http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/20/sony-to-take-a-loss-on-playstation-4-sales/

JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
selnor1983 said:

Microsoft breaking even or making profit at launch with XBO - http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/5/4698606/xbox-one-unit-sales-will-make-money-at-launch-says-microsoft

Sony Taking loss on PS4 at launch - http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/20/sony-to-take-a-loss-on-playstation-4-sales/

So they don't know if they'll make a profit, you you claim as if you do. And sorry i did get it back wards. Thanks for the correction. I highly doubt it will be a profit though, not with out a game or live sub. 

Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:

So they don't know if they'll make a profit, you you claim as if you do. And sorry i did get it back wards. Thanks for the correction. I highly doubt it will be a profit though, not with out a game or live sub. 

No problem.  And why do think that?  Why would they say that in september unless something has drastically changed since then?  Sounds like itll be making a small profit of a couple dollars or so or right at it.  Nothing significant though.  COuld be like 5$ difference 

I just looked it up and Sony's market cap is only ~20B.

In other words more or less MS could buy them 4 times over out of spare cash.

Although, I dont think it's really possible for American companies to buy Japanese companies, at least I've never heard of it on a major scale/

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:
selnor1983 said:

Your comment makes no sense. MS has Kinect, that's why the system costs more. It would make NO SENSE for Sony to have a $500 console without Kinect.

How does it make sense? Did you read my post and did you read selnor's suggestion properly?

Sony cant price the ps4 at the same price as the Xbox One without bundling in the playstation eye. Otherwise the Xbox preposition is waaay more enticing than the ps4 which comes with nothing extra. That will be suicide from Sony. Thats basically pricing themselves out of the market.

The only other option would be to bundle the eye...but then what makes anyone think that at $500 with the eye, ps4 will be sold at a profit?

Keep in mind that selnor suggested that Sony price the ps4 WITH the one and not simply at break even or at profit. A good price might have been 450..but to match the one? Sony would be risking a lot of marketshare. Which has much more negative consquences down the road..than a small loss selling hardware below cost.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:

No problem.  And why do think that?  Why would they say that in september unless something has drastically changed since then?  Sounds like itll be making a small profit of a couple dollars or so or right at it.  Nothing significant though.  COuld be like 5$ difference 

Giving away forza or ffia in Europe surely wont help. I think that came after that article

MS is making money as they always do, ok........

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
kowenicki said:
chapset said:
all that money and they still finish third this gen :( , maybe next gen will be better :D

Good point.  I guess they have all that money because they dont just throw money away to buy market share in some vane attempt to win some phoney war.

It works... some other companies should try it and maybe they too would have more robust companies.

My guess is that the next CEO will close down the xbox division after this gen.

I don't know where that idea of xb division closing down come from.... Probably some tool on gag that read that valueact big dog wanna be pathetic try at changing MS
anyway there are more chances to see Sony or even Nintendo go under than MS stopping the Xbox.... Why?? Well because Xbox is way more than a console for MS... It is yet an other alternative product to compensate the PC decline while keeping their ecosystem present in our daily lives...
Xbox is more a long term answer to apple and google TV and all the rokio box or whatnot than really competing on the pure gaming market....
Xbox is part of that entertainment and media consumption frenzy going on along with the rise of tablet and smartphones.... There is a reason why Xbox brand is becoming the entertainment symbols across the entire ecosystem.. The only way xb goes away, is if they can put it in the cable box, directly in TVs or make it work entirely cloud based.... Until then XB is here to stay...