By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS looks to Gaming and Cloud (no not THAT Cloud VGC) plus $81bn IN CASH to weather PC storm

selnor1983 said:
DerNebel said:
selnor1983 said:
kowenicki said:
chapset said:
all that money and they still finish third this gen :( , maybe next gen will be better :D

Good point.  I guess they have all that money because they dont just throw money away to buy market share in some vane attempt to win some phoney war.

It works... some other companies should try it and maybe they too would have more robust companies.

This.

1 set of fans are backing a horse that could drop any minute.

The other will support guarenteed. 2 very different business models. 1 works 1 gets by.

So Playstation fans should stop supporting Sony and the games they make, even though they like them more, just because Sonys financials aren't as good as Microsofts, or what is the message you are trying to convey with that post?

No they shouldnt. But Sony arent being practical in all areas of their profit margins. Maybe they should have priced PS4 with The One. It seems like Sony wouldnt mind losing money to gain marketshare. Thing is they arent to great financially right now. They need to make a good profit.

Yeah... I think we should let Sony worry about their financial situation and not act like we behind our computer screen know any better how they should price their product.

Also people have been saying that Sony is close to dropping out of the console race for about 7 years now and I don't see any indication of that happening any time soon.

And finally, just to throw in my five cents, I think Sony should not have priced the PS4 at 500$. The short time profit they possibly could have made with that, would have easily been countered by raised expenses in other departments and lower unit sold, for example they might have needed to put more stuff in the box to counter the xbox that includes kinect and they sure as hell would need to pay even more for marketing because let's face it a 100$ price different is a pretty damn effective marketing tool.

Around the Network

I haven't cared enough to look, does anyone know if the PS4/Xbone are being sold at loss or do either make money?

chapset said:
all that money and they still finish third this gen :( , maybe next gen will be better :D

They will most like finish 1st in North America though, with Wii as a close 2nd and PS3 tailing way back in 3rd.

...and before anyone says anything, I own all three.

Stop hating and start playing.

BuckStud said:
chapset said:

They will most like finish 1st in North America though, with Wii as a close 2nd and PS3 tailing way back in 3rd.

...and before anyone says anything, I own all three.

They will overtake this holiday, and challenge PS2 for best selling console ever (and in the UK) so it's not all bad. I don't think it matters if they lose out in Japan.

selnor1983 said:
DerNebel said:

So Playstation fans should stop supporting Sony and the games they make, even though they like them more, just because Sonys financials aren't as good as Microsofts, or what is the message you are trying to convey with that post?

No they shouldnt. But Sony arent being practical in all areas of their profit margins. Maybe they should have priced PS4 with The One. It seems like Sony wouldnt mind losing money to gain marketshare. Thing is they arent to great financially right now. They need to make a good profit.

Your comment makes no sense. MS has Kinect, that's why the system costs more. It would make NO SENSE for Sony to have a $500 console without Kinect.

If they added the Playstation Eye in the bundle then who is to say that at $500 the system wont be sold at a loss? I think you underestimate how much the next gen consoles actually cost to get on shelves. If both companies are to sell at a profit i think the price would be even higher. And the price of both is already high. In other countries the price is astronomically high. Im talking PS3 high.

And if the price is any higher then you end up in a ps3 situation. Clearly people didnt see the value in a ps3 when it costed as much as it did. The same thing will happen to these systems if the cost is too high.

And in any case why did you bring Sony fans into a MS financials discussion thread? I mean the other day you made a thread asking people NOT to flame, troll or deliberately go off topic? Yet here you are.

OT: In any case i think people calling doom and gloom about MS have alsways been delusional or simply unaware of the presense MS has in the enterprise sector. No other company comes CLOSE. MS will be fine no matter what happens in the consumer space. Not that they will let anything bad happen :P

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

It's great to see that Microsoft is way ahead of expectations! I am happy for this as I own practically everything Microsoft has produced.
Xbox, Surface pro, Surface pro 2, Lumia 1020 and soon xbox one........I enjoy the new echosystems they have built and their new message of everything is one.

Hopefully the momentum continues and they continue to make products that consumers want/need.

J_Allard said:
I haven't cared enough to look, does anyone know if the PS4/Xbone are being sold at loss or do either make money?

PS4 is being sold at a loss XB1 is breaking even or making a little profit with each unit sold.

and this is why MSFT keeps Xbox being profitable over taking a loss

Fantastic numbers xD

Shinobi-san said:
selnor1983 said:

Your comment makes no sense. MS has Kinect, that's why the system costs more. It would make NO SENSE for Sony to have a $500 console without Kinect.

Actually what he said makes perfect sense.  PS4 is being sold at a loss.  XBO is being sold for a profit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/06/at-500-microsoft-says-the-xbox-one-will-break-even-or-make-a-profit/

“We’re looking to break even or low margin at worst,” he said. “As we can cost-reduce our box as we’ve done with 360, we’ll continue to price reduce and get even more competitive with our offering. You’ve seen us over the years constantly be focused on profitability and improving year over year. If you look at 360 that platform lasted for seven to eight years and it’s going to go for another three years. It’s incredibly profitable now in the tail.”