By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies Launch Thread

He is german... thats why the name seems odd to you. But if were going to pick on dumb names: Gumshoe, Fulbright and other are alot worse.
And you wouldnt want to know what they are called in japanese cause its completely ridiculous. I feel like you are taking the game a bit too seriously Rol. Alright i'll tell you just phoenix... he is called literally translated "I see/I understand". Thats where the play with words on right/wright (i'm right) comes from.

Around the Network

^

English: "Phoenix" comes as a reference to his uncanny ability to turn around cases which were almost lost (as the phoenix comes back from the dead). "Wright" is simply a pun ("Is that right, Mr. Wright?").

Japanese: "Naruhodou" comes from the Japanese word "naruhodo," which means, "I see" or "Is that so?" Ryuuichi is simply a name the creator liked (though its use of the kanji for dragon is played upon in GS3).

In Phoenix Wright, the Feys call Phoenix "Nick," as a shortened form of "Phoenix." In Gyakuten Saiban, they call him "Naruhodo-kun."

Also, for the record:

Dick Gumshoe is called Keisuke Itonokogiri on Gyakuten Saiban.

Wright said:

"Ace Attoney name trivia"

On that note, Apollo is called Housuke Odoroki, with Odoroki meaning surprise.

Apollo comes from just uncleverness and Justice comes from Fool bright's catchphrase.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:
Wright said:

"Ace Attoney name trivia"

On that note, Apollo is called Housuke Odoroki, with Odoroki meaning surprise.

Apollo comes from just uncleverness and Justice comes from Fool bright's catchphrase.

RolStoppable said:

There are plays on words and then there are names that are just dumb any way you slice it. "Klavier" is nothing more than the German word for "piano". That's all the more pathetic when the guy in question is only ever associated with guitars. Or was he playing piano during the third case in Apollo Justice? I forgot. Anyway, it's a dumb name!

Having just finished that case, I can tell you for sure that he never touched the piano in that case either. But then Case 3 in particular was a complete mess from start to finish, possibly worse than the circus case, and going through this replay I'm even more baffled by how you could tolerate, let alone like, that game. I presume the American translators just saw the game's script and decided to mirror the writers' effort.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:

There are plays on words and then there are names that are just dumb any way you slice it. "Klavier" is nothing more than the German word for "piano". That's all the more pathetic when the guy in question is only ever associated with guitars. Or was he playing piano during the third case in Apollo Justice? I forgot. Anyway, it's a dumb name!

Having just finished that case, I can tell you for sure that he never touched the piano in that case either. But then Case 3 in particular was a complete mess from start to finish, possibly worse than the circus case, and going through this replay I'm even more baffled by how you could tolerate, let alone like, that game. I presume the American translators just saw the game's script and decided to mirror the writers' effort.

Well, I could be a practitioner of black magic. Either that or Apollo Justice has redeeming qualities.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:
F0X said:

So I'm just now blazing through Apollo Justice as part of my Ace Attorney binge. Easily my second-favorite game in the series, right behind T&T (which I've recently named my favorite DS game and fifth favorite game of the generation).

Now if you excuse me, I'll be rocking out.

Yeah, about that guy...

His name is Klavier?! That totally took me by surprise. What a dumb name.

EDIT: I mean, I didn't remember his name being that. I better pretend it never happened and stick with Kantilen.

I feel as if stupid names befit popular rock band members.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

Well, I could be a proctitioner of black magic. Either that or Apollo Justice has redeeming qualities.

PM'd you to not further derail: my fault for getting us off-track to begin with.

I'm not particularly concerned about getting off topic over discussing a case from the past game; a debate is rather fitting for an Ace Attorney thread.

Despite 4-3 being my least favorite case in the series, and 4-2 being subpar, I still like AJ, due to how excellent 4-1 and 4-4 are. 4-1 is by far my favorite opening case in the series, the entire mystery behind Phoenix Wright's disbarment is executed and explained very well, and the resolution at the end is fantastic. It's a shame the rest of the game was mediocre.

MTZehvor said:
I'm not particularly concerned about getting off topic over discussing a case from the past game; a debate is rather fitting for an Ace Attorney thread.

Despite 4-3 being my least favorite case in the series, and 4-2 being subpar, I still like AJ, due to how excellent 4-1 and 4-4 are. 4-1 is by far my favorite opening case in the series, the entire mystery behind Phoenix Wright's disbarment is executed and explained very well, and the resolution at the end is fantastic. It's a shame the rest of the game was mediocre.

4-1 is one of the best cases in the whole Ace Attorney saga. Not only it is the longest first case (I think), but also the most twisted one. 3-1 comes pretty close.