By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario 3d World only 1.7 GB

kowenicki said:
I like this.

Reminds me of Skyrim at 3.8GB

Some games are ridiculously big for no apparent reason.

It's all about using your resources efficiently and not waste time and money on creating assets that you really don't need.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:

I'm guessing it's the same as the one capcom used to fit RE 2 on the N64 cartridge.

i still don't understand how they did that.

MohammadBadir said:
Zero999 said:

I'm guessing it's the same as the one capcom used to fit RE 2 on the N64 cartridge.

i still don't understand how they did that.

it must involve some animal sacrifices and human souls.

little to no cutscenes + not much voice acting + compressed sound = low file size. This isn't rocket science people. Unless it's somehow rocket science, in which case, Nintendo devs are beasts.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Zero999 said:

what kind of dark sorcery is this?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/this_is_how_much_space_super_mario_3d_world_will_gobble_up_on_your_wii_u

Super Mario Bros. for the NES is only 31.29 KB.
Yet that game provided endless fun & is STILL fun today 28 years later.

It's not in the amount of file size.
It's in the amount of FUN size that counts.

That 1.7 GB is plenty enough.
Nintendo is the master of making things efficient & non-wasteful.
Super Mario 3D World will be amazing fun! I can just taste it!
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

Man, as well as it'll sell at 1.7 gigs, imagine how well it would have sold if they'd spent obscene amounts of time and money cramming 48.3 gigs worth of better textures and unnecessary voice acting and pre-rendered cutscenes into there just because they can. Clearly Nintendo doesn't understand modern game development.

Roma said:
imagine how much more they could have done visually if they didn't care much about the size of the game. what I think should have been done is fur grass like they did in Galaxy which would have been nice

They didn't. Galaxy 2 had in in early screens, but it was later removed. I presume because it was too taxing for the Wii.

Too bad, 'cos it looked marvelous, and I agree I'd have loved to see it in 3D World.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

kowenicki said:
I like this.

Reminds me of Skyrim at 3.8GB

Some games are ridiculously big for no apparent reason.

Heh, didn't realize that. Very impressive (despite the plethora of bugs). More than 360 hours put into that game... very impressive indeed.

But the OP forgot to mention that the other 23.3 gigs of space for SM3DL is packed with pure digital fun to accompany the game. ^_^

That's about 43 times the size of Super Mario 64 I think, lol.

osed125 said:
prayformojo said:
Most modern games balloon in size due to cutscenes and voice overs. Nintnedo has still refused to buy into either of those things and use them in their games. This is why their games remain tiny.

Heck the first Mario Galaxy is 2 GB iirc

The first one is 3.5GB, but the second one is 1.3GB.

Anyway, looking at these gifs it is easy to understand how it is so small, they are reusing a lot of assets. Look at that wall texture for example, repeating over and over.