By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is Beyond officially the flop of the year now?

reggin_bolas said:
I don't think it's fair to compare games with low expectations and B2S. Fuse, Remember Me, Rayman, Splinter Cell are not hyped AAA system-sellers. All of these titles were multiplat releases that no one really cared about.

Beyond was hyped as an AAA system-exclusive game which had a robust marketing campaign. The only thing that comes close is the Wonderful 101 which was also system exclusive but not nearly as hyped as Beyond.

As such, I cast my vote on Beyond as flop of the year given the hype and marketing force behind it.

Edit: Nvm can't be bothered.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

One has to wonder, once again, how such a conclusion can be drawn after one week of sales? This entire topic should die off until the game is more than a week out of its release, because some of the responses I'm seeing show a clear misunderstanding (or make wild assumptions). Take your pick.

Even more, your entire theory about "AAA games trying to mimic Hollywood movies" is completely moot, since plenty of games have succeeded (Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us, ALL of the Uncharteds, Call of Duty, etc.....). 

Moot, eh? Tell that to Factor 5. Or Free Radical Design. Or Grin. Or 3D Realms. Or Silicon Knights.  Or Midway. Or THQ/Vigil. etc. etc.

Just within the last decade, how many development studios and publishers have gone under because of the rising, bloated costs of HD, "AAA" budget game development? How many companies are either now gone, or were absorbed/bought by bigger studios. And how about you ask Capcom or Square, for example, how they feel about the rising costs of their games, coupled with the diminishing sales? Or the fact that many companies, such as Konami, Namco, hell, even Activision, have recently cut their number of releases per year. It's getting to the point (ignoring the PC and indie game markets) that the only developers who can survive, are the ones being subsidized by bigger companies, whether that be a huge publisher like Activision or EA, or a first party like Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft.

But it's a fact that in some cases just one major big budget flop has recently sunk many studios. It's also a fact that just a couple generations ago, a game doing 100,000 or a few 100k in sales, could still be a financial success. Not anymore. Not the "AAA" kind. It's a graphics arms race that is not going to go away anytime soon, but it certainly has had some drastic and honestly terrible effects on the industry at large. I'm not saying there shouldn't be ANY "AAA" budget games. They have their place. But the gaming industry is becoming more and more like Hollywood, where the only games that get published or get financial backing, are the games that studios think are going to rake in that mega-cash, just like the pre-order Gamestop darlings such as GTA, or Halo, or Assassin's Creed, or CoD. You're seeing less creativity and risk taking in game mainstream console game development. You're seeing a lot of games that are all very much like each other, because developers and publishers are more interested in trying to emulate the succcess of something else that sold big, than they are in trying to create something fresh and unique. That is not universal of course, but it IS becoming the rule to very few exceptions. Just like Hollywood. The "Blockbuster Syndrome" in the movie industry has done quite a bit to ruin it, if you ask me. And it's having the same kind of effect on gaming.

If you honestly want to sit there and try to argue that the point is "moot", go right ahead. But I'm not entirely sure you really understand the way the gaming business, or the entertainment industry in general, works, if you really think that this "AAA" model everyone is trying to follow is smart, let alone sustainable. Cinematic games have their place. But it's also an unneccisary roll of the dice for a lot of companies, when they could be making far more creative, and far less expensive games just as well.

Anfebious said:
LemonSlice said:
Anfebious said:
Geez everyone forgot about Fuse already? That one floped hard. So hard that no one remembers the game...

There was even a game which asked nicely to be remembered. What was that game again?

I think it was from Capcom but I can't seem to recall the name of the game... xD

I remember now, it was called No.

Look "CGI-Quality", nothing you say seems to indicate you "understand this business" any better than anyone else on here, so your saying that I don't is rather moot, as you like to say. It would also seem that your personal bias towards this game obviously colors your opinions, whereas I'm pointing out non-biased facts. IS this game "the flop of the year"? We'll see. But it certainly isn't a success, nor will it likely make much profit. Have a nice day.

Farsala said:
Not even close. Games like Fuse and Lost planet 3 take that.

holy s**t!! lost planet 3's out and I didnt even hear a single thing about it.

lol 62 on metacritic with 5.3 user score....no wonder. maybe its so crap i just forgot about it.

Around the Network

Rightly or wrongly this game reminds me of Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain did 500K week one and 2m lifetime which was far above estimates, double the average estimates if memory serves me well - which it usually doesn't.

So 300k in a week is damn impressive considering the genre.

lol u cant trust reviews wuth a game like this, and wht were u expecting? 500-1m?. anything over 500 was an insane prediction.

im buying it regardless of reviews/score. im sure uve been on this site long enough to know a good ggame when u see , and at wht point scores and reveiws are meaningless.

It's a disappointment but I wouldn't say it's a flop.

also 80m is not the install base. thats just how many units were sold. install may be 65-75m with used added.

and wht were people expecting from the puppeteer? i was the firat to make a threaad for the game , and only expected 150k first wk.

ps. im posting by phone.

The numbers don't seem to bad. it's not like the wonderful 101 lol