By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

nightsurge said:
Asymmetrical because dominant buttons and analog sticks should be placed higher on the controller.

Also, OP, you need to make a table to split out the two sides. It is incredibly difficult to read the difference between "symmetrical" and "asymmetrical" in a big list like that.

I'll do that later. Right now I don't want to have it be a numbers war in the op.

Also on the topic of the thread, do you prefer the Wii U pro controller for shooters?

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
nightsurge said:
Asymmetrical because dominant buttons and analog sticks should be placed higher on the controller.

Also, OP, you need to make a table to split out the two sides. It is incredibly difficult to read the difference between "symmetrical" and "asymmetrical" in a big list like that.

I'll do that later. Right now I don't want to have it be a numbers war in the op.

Also on the topic of the thread, do you prefer the Wii U pro controller for shooters?

Having never used it, I can't say. However, I feel like the buttons are used more often on the right side so it may feel awkward with those being switched.

Asymmetrical. The left analog is the primary input for you left thumb. The face buttons are the primary input for your right thumb. The primary input, left analog, should not be placed in a secondary position. Symmetrical analog sticks actually cause to you play in an asymmetrical position.

Sort of depends.

Generally I prefer symmetrical, because fuck sticks. Gamepad rules.

If I HAVE to use the sticks though. Asymmetrical.

Ergonomically speaking, where the gamepad and where the buttons are on a PS2 controller are the most comfortable positions. That's why the buttons are there. It's the best place for primary input.

Symmetrical, because of both preference and ergonomical reasons. It's more ergonomical due to the way I hold the controller, and the way I hold it feels ergonomical to me, so... The preference part kicks in in the way I hold the controller, after that it's ergonomic reasons.

Around the Network

Asymmetrical, it just feels more natural that to rest your thumbs higher up on a stick and the buttons (ABXY) while the less commonly used D-pad and right stick is lower.

In reality though, the 360 controller is symmetrical and the PS3 controller is asymmetrical.

Chrizum said:
In reality though, the 360 controller is symmetrical and the PS3 controller is asymmetrical.

This. Although for Fighters where you use the über-fighterunfriendly D-pad, you get an asymmetrical position :).

OdinHades said:
I prefer symmetrical, but I think it's mainly a question of habits. You'll get used to both over time.

I agree.

I'm a PS3-guy, but I use a 360 controller on PC. Both setups work fine for me, but I prefer symmetrical sticks.

I really have one real demand. The left stick should be in the upper position.

Let's just say I don't game on the PlayStation because I like the controller, I game on it despite of that thing. All of Nintendo's controllers got that part right (with the exception of the Classic Pro controller, but that was made primarily for 'D-Pad-games' anyway). Your thumb is naturally in the upper position and so should the left stick otherwise it's uncomfortable and unnatural.

That said I don't mind the position of the right stick as much, probably because you use that thumb for several different actions (the stick as well as the face buttons). I'm fine with it being symmetrical, but I think I still prefer an asymmetrical placement. In most games I play, I use the face buttons more often than the right stick, so with the stick down my hands will remain symmetrical. N64, GameCube and XBox got that part right. Never owned a Microsoft console myself, but I've used the original XBox's controller enough to know. The WiiU sadly fails in that part, but luckily the GamePad is big enough to position my right hand differently so it remains comfortable enough.

So long story short, I think I prefer asymmetrical, with the left one in the upper position naturally.