By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

Thing is they put the sticks on the bottom because you hold the dualshock 4 at a wider angle so your thumbs gravitate towards the center

Around the Network

Gamecube/360 design is the best. Simple ergonomics logic. Plus PS controllers "highlight" the DPAD even tho its almost unused today.

Sony never thought about the analog as the main input because it was just tacked on to the original PS1 controller design. Its like "where to we put this we have to have the same thing the N64 has! lets put it here" compared to the "lets make a controller from scratch that uses logic and laws of ergonomics. = GC/360-design".

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
Thing is they put the sticks on the bottom because you hold the dualshock 4 at a wider angle so your thumbs gravitate towards the center

Not they put them on the buttom because that's what their primary audience is used to. The D-Pad was still the primary mode of input on the DS1 so the analog positioning was understandable. Once the majority of games when 3D, the d-pad became secondary input. It's the main reason I bought a Power A 3rd party controller for my PS3. If I were a pad player on fighting games I could see a use for the setup but I have an arcade stick for all of my consoles for fighting games.

BTW there is a Fusion PS4 controller without a screen if you like asymmetrical

symmetrical. But I'm just saying this because I'm biased to playstation

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
brendude13 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Time after time we hear people bragging about two specific controllers. X360 and Gamecube. Now tell me, what do these two have in common?  Of course these are opinions but it isnt a secret that these controllers have been praised time after time and also have been dubbed as the best controllers of all time.

You're forgetting one:

No im not.  If you are judging something without even using it it really shows your stance on things.  I for one will be waiting to actually use both PS4 and XBO controllers before making a decision.

As for this debate i personally find it dumb since it comes down to how comftorable the controller is.  You wanna know why I and many other people dont like the PS3 controler?  BEcause it fills cramped, the thumb sticks hav no indents, and the triggers are meh.  If they made the stick asymmetical it wouldnt have felt so cramped.  

PS4 controller def looks like a step up and looks more similar to the X360 controller.    And the sticks dont seem so close this time(Or im hoping not at least)But on paper Im still liking the XBO because of impulse triggers and once again the thumb sticks material looks to be of better quality while also holding a good spacing yet again.  Until i see how comftoarable both are I cant make a decision though.

Even the wiiu pro controller has good spacing in thumb sticks.  It doesnt matter if it is asymmetrical or symetrical as long as those thumb sticks are spaced well.

He's right you are forgetting the ps controller. be it ps1 2 or 3. All have been highly pariased for the last 20 years. Thats something that Nintendo and MS can't say. 

I like symmetrical controller but I don't think the Dualshock is particulary ergonomic.
Imo the 360 and WiiU pro controllers are the most ergonomic.
The WiiU controller has the best button layout.
The 360 controller has the best triggers.
The Dualshock has the best labeling; geometric symbols are much more immediate and evocative than letters to distiguish front buttons, also R1, R2 for triggers is more immediate than RB, RT or R, ZR.

Mmmfishtacos said:

He's right you are forgetting the ps controller. be it ps1 2 or 3. All have been highly pariased for the last 20 years. Thats something that Nintendo and MS can't say. 

News to me since so many complaints has been made about DS3 since PS3 launched.  Now there is so many controllers taking notes from X360 controller including DS4, WiiU Pro Controller, and multiple third party controllers.

But apparently to you DS3 has been praised?  So it isnt a common complaint that it is cramped?  it isnt a common complaint that the triggers are meh?  So much so that they added accessories for it?  It hasnt been a complain about how small it is? Or that it originally didnt have rumble?  Or th that Sixaxis is completely useless.

Yeah i would consider that all praise.  So much so that they finally took a hint and redisigned the PS4 controller, spread out the thumbsticks more, gave it real triggers, and got rid of the horrible smooth top analog sticks for indentations.

The only thing i hear getting constant praise is its dpad which is deserved.

NOTE: He was referring to PS4 controller, not PS Controller

JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

News to me since so many complaints has been made about DS3 since PS3 launched.  Now there is so many controllers taking notes from X360 controller including DS4 and WiiU Pro Controller.

But apparently to you DS3 has been praised?  So it isnt a common complaint that it is cramped?  it isnt a common complaint that the triggers are meh?  So much so that they added accessories for it?  It hasnt been a complain about how small it is? Or that it originally didnt have rumble?  Or th that Sixaxis is completely useless.

Yeah i would consider that all praise.  So much so that they finally took a hint and redisigned the PS4 controller, spread out the thumbsticks more, gave it real triggers, and got rid of the horrible smooth top analog sticks for indentations.

The only thing i hear getting constant praise is its dpad which is deserved.

So it isn't a common complaint that the 360 D pad is crap? Quite possible the worst one ever in the history of gaming. Or the batter compartment gets in the way. Or that it has battery compartment at all? Or the thumb stick placement isn't right? Or any other number of things that the opposite side might find wrong with it? 

The d pad alone is enough to knock it out of the running for any change it ever had at being considered the best.

Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:

So it isn't a common complaint that the 360 D pad is crap? Quite possible the worst one ever in the history of gaming. Or the batter compartment gets in the way. Or that it has battery compartment at all? Or the thumb stick placement isn't right? Or any other number of things that the opposite side might find wrong with it? 

The d pad alone is enough to knock it out of the running for any change it ever had at being considered the best.

Yeah the only complaint i ever hear is the Dpad and xbox fans dont sit there and lie about it either.  It also hasnt stopped both Nintendo and Sony from becoming more like the X360 controller this gen. Dont over exagerate about every little thing ok?