By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 widening the gap with 360: gap is now 1 million

Anfebious said:
se7en7thre3 said:
Oh how the mighty have fallen. The great EX-king of consoles, the playstation 2, goes from 150+ mil sold, to a little more than half at 79...while the Xbox went from 24 to 78 mil. Yet some people want to claim a Sony victory?

It amazes me how some people think. Fanboyism destroys rational thinking. Its obvious that the real winner was MICROSOFT, and big loser was SONY. Microsoft increased their market share more than 3x by robbing from Sony's PS2 crowd.

People need to be fair and call a spade a spade. Who cares if PS3 ends up even 5 mil ahead of 360, when they had a 130 mil lead the last gen?

Well Nintendo went from 21 Million to 100 Million.. I think the winner overall was Nintendo xD.

Oh of course, not to mention Ninty's amazing profit.  But I am talking about the "hardcore" direct competition between Sony & MS aka HD twins, since Ninty took a more passive aggressive approach making a cheaper, different, even secondary - non threatening machine.

Around the Network
Somini said:

You must be a long time lurker to remember a thing like that? Yes people were dooming it to hell, while it was doing 80K, at the lowest, per month in the US

lol, and some fanboys are still doubting the PS3 in this thread. Crazy.

CGI-Quality said:
kirby007 said:
CGI-Quality said:
foodfather said:
Even if the gap is 3m +, what difference will it make? 360 games sell more, attach rate of PS3 certainly hasn't gone up over the years.

This actually depends on the game. Plenty of multiplats do better on PS3 these days. Heck, just look at GTA V vs GTA IV. While the 360 version sold more, so far, the ratio is much closer now then in 2008.

You know i got banned for this kind of logic.....

Point out what's ban-worthy, here.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=93813

its same just using consoles instead of games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
I'm just surprised neither MS or Sony have said "we have shipped 80m!!" yet....

Yeah I think the consoles might be overtracked a little bit. I guess we have to wait on their quarterly reports which is within weeks for both.

how will that help you?

What?

what i said.

How will the quarterly reports help you know if they are BOTH overtracked or not?

vgchartz had ~79.5m sold for PS3, if official shipped figures mention ~80m for the quarter ending september, that means its probably overtracked a bit, unless there is no supply chain.

kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
I wish i could find that old tread with some guy proving with detailed calculations why the PS3 will never catch up to the 360

They werent calculations to prove anything actually.

They were merely a forecast based on current sales trends, they werent designed to SAY anything,

The conclusion was left to the reader.  Not my fault you took an inference and couldnt make your own mind up.

if you try to remember correctly, they were part of the 2 other articles I used to do, the gap charts and the marketshare YOY spreads.

Stop being typically VGC.

That was YOU? god, i had no idea!

no, actually it wasn't you. The way i remember it it was inside a weekly sales thread, not any of your articles.

And you shouldn't make excuses for them either, we all know what they were for.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
I wish i could find that old tread with some guy proving with detailed calculations why the PS3 will never catch up to the 360

They werent calculations to prove anything actually.

They were merely a forecast based on current sales trends, they werent designed to SAY anything,

The conclusion was left to the reader.  Not my fault you took an inference and couldnt make your own mind up.

if you try to remember correctly, they were part of the 2 other articles I used to do, the gap charts and the marketshare YOY spreads.

Stop being typically VGC.

That was YOU? god, i had no idea!

no, actually it wasn't you. The way i remember it it was inside a weekly sales thread, not any of your articles.

And you shouldn't make excuses for them either, we all know what they were for.

I used to show a calculation which showed how long it would take to overtake given current sales and the gap. The calculation showed that it WOULD overtake quite often... so you have selective memory.

Excuse me, but what are you exactly refering to right now? I said it wasn't you i was talking about.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

the old sony went from 150m to 80m,thye were crushed by nintendo and microsoft this gen

wonder how nintendo will do form the Wii 100m to WiiU ? and if microsoft can up it again

obviously hard to tell right now staying flat or aiming for the 100m seems to be good positioning,wonder if sony can make 3 100m consoles in a row with the PS3,that would be impressive when all is said and done

Above & Beyond

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
I'm just surprised neither MS or Sony have said "we have shipped 80m!!" yet....

Yeah I think the consoles might be overtracked a little bit. I guess we have to wait on their quarterly reports which is within weeks for both.

how will that help you?

What?

what i said.

How will the quarterly reports help you know if they are BOTH overtracked or not?

vgchartz had ~79.5m sold for PS3, if official shipped figures mention ~80m for the quarter ending september, that means its probably overtracked a bit, unless there is no supply chain.

Sony dont give lifetime shipment figures.  Nobody knows the total shipment figures for the PS3.  Thats the point.

The bundling of PS2 and PS3 figures for that period in 2012 and 2013 will forever muddy the waters unless they give a definitive number for the very end of a specific quarter.

Well everyone knows that. The point is that if they dont announce the milestone soon then the financial reports is the perfect time to do so, it doesn't have to be specific, just a brief mention that it passed 80 million. If they were to report the milestone after their report, what would that mean? It reached 80 million after the report. Which helps me know its overtracked here. Assuming they will celebrate 80 million, just like they did with 70 million.

se7en7thre3 said:
Oh how the mighty have fallen. The great EX-king of consoles, the playstation 2, goes from 150+ mil sold, to a little more than half at 79...while the Xbox went from 24 to 78 mil. Yet some people want to claim a Sony victory?

It amazes me how some people think. Fanboyism destroys rational thinking. Its obvious that the real winner was MICROSOFT, and big loser was SONY. Microsoft increased their market share more than 3x by robbing from Sony's PS2 crowd.

People need to be fair and call a spade a spade. Who cares if PS3 ends up even 5 mil ahead of 360, when they had a 130 mil lead the last gen?  

I didn't know there was a previous console generation where every system sold 70m+ units, let alone more than one system. Hell, by your own logic, the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive should be remembered as the victor of the 16 bit war over the SNES since they did better and worse than their predecessors respectively? You mention rational thinking but yet try to put the PS3's lesser impact compared to the most successful console ever made in the same context as the drop from the Genesis/Mega Drive to the Saturn, lol. I'll don't think we'll ever see market share as lopsided as the last generation again.

And the original Xbox demographic was drastically different to that of the 360's, if I'm not mistaken, the 360 still hasn't overtaken original Xbox numbers in Japan. A large portion of the 360's install base stems from the PS2 crowd who simply lost their patience on the PS3 retailing at a mass market price point and sought a machine with similar fundamental offerings with a lower upfront cost, it just so happened to be Microsoft's plan B. Sony basically handed that to them by trying to force the "look at what you're getting for X price" argument for almost 3 years.

You may want to rethink the line you've drawn between fanboyism and rationality, or are just too new to the business ethics of the industry. No offence.

(Anyone can feel free to call me out on anything I mentioned, I just couldn't help but sign up and address the logical fallacies in this post :P)

Why is the 150M LTD sales made by the PS2 is always getting compared to the current 80M by the PS3 when the PS2 had 13yrs under its belt compared to 7yrs for the PS3. Why not compare them year by year?