By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 widening the gap with 360: gap is now 1 million

spurgeonryan said:
tiffac said:
Why is the 150M LTD sales made by the PS2 is always getting compared to the current 80M by the PS3 when the PS2 had 13yrs under its belt compared to 7yrs for the PS3. Why not compare them year I aby year?

I imagine that someone quoted me...

We could, but PS3 would then be far behind I believe.

Hmm... true but at least we would be tad accurate XD

Edit: Thank you Shadow, sorry for the extra work load :<

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
tiffac said:
Why is the 150M LTD sales made by the PS2 is always getting compared to the current 80M by the PS3 when the PS2 had 13yrs under its belt compared to 7yrs for the PS3. Why not compare them year by year?

Here something I whipped up for you. First is annual sales and the second is cumulative LTD sales. They are aligned by the end of the first fiscal year the system had been out in all major regions. Note that this is based off of official Sony numbers and are by Japanese fiscal year, so "Year 1" is the year ending March 31, 1996 for the PS1, March 31, 2001 for the PS2, and March 31, 2007 for the PS3. The one exception to the numbers is PS3 sales for the year ending March 31, 2013, which is based on VGC numbers. So, due to the methodology used in constructing these charts, there may be a margin of error in both Year 1 and Year 7.

The PS3 is actually doing better than the PS1 did at this point in its life, and thus the PS3 is quickly closing the gap between the two. It may end up getting close to the PS1's 102 million lifetime sales by time it goes out of production.

Interesting. I believe PS3 will surpass PS1 sales.

Well depending on how deep the black friday sales are, I think the PS3 will keep passing the 360. MS announced new holidays bundles yesterday.

I don't think the $50 temp cut and bundled games will do it.

250GB Kinect ($400) - Includes Kinect Sports: Season Two, Kinect Adventures, and Forza Horizon.
4GB Kinect ($300) - Includes Kinect Sports: Season Two and Kinect Adventures.
250GB Standard ($300) - Includes Halo 4 and Tomb Raider.
The Xbox 360 Holiday Value Bundles will be available at retailers worldwide. United States retailers are holding a special price promotion where shoppers will get $50 off each bundle October 13, 2013 through January 4, 2014.

I also don't see how the $50 drop IS NOT permanent with the X1 and PS4 being out.

It's just that simple.