By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Wii U DOESN'T need the tablet

Most people who say the WiiU gamepad is too big are those who like tiny ass controllers like the Dualshocks. People used to using wiimotes comfortably dont have their hands cramped together, so the gamepad feels natural. Its not heavy. Its literally a WiiU Pro Controller with a 6 inch screen in it.And motion controls with NFC .

Get a pro-controller otherwise and use the gamepad as a second screen.

Around the Network

Are you serious? First off, I'm a gamer and I don't own a tablet/smartphone, and I know others who don't.

Second, comparing a tablet to the Wii U gamepad is pretty silly, as whatever the tablet does, it'll never be as capable as the gamepad.

Finally, the gamepad is guaranteed to be used/owned by every Wii U owner. The phone/tablet isn't, so game developers will most likely never do anything with your tablet/phone, unless Microsoft nudges them with a wad of cash.

It's the difference between the XBox having the Kinect actually being built in, and it being sold as an add on.

Also, without the controller, the console would lose something.

Uniqueness, it's the only console of this gen that actually tries to be a different feeling console, rather then being a PS4/XBox One with a Nintendo logo slapped on.

And no, copying the Wii U half-assed doesn't make the Wii U itself less unique, it just puts into perspective how... unoriginal Microsoft and Sony are when it comes to their systems.

Somebody really needs to drill the mantra of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" into Nintendo's thick skull. Purposely changing essential features of your console like the controller just for the sake of being different from the competition is pointless in this day and age. It would be like someone coming out with a keyboard that is laid out differently than the "QWERTY" standard... sure some people might prefer it, but by and large most people who use it will just be wondering why they can't simply have a normal keyboard like everyone else.

This goes the same for Ninty's controllers.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

You realize the last time they did that they ended up with the Gamecube right? (Dpad with the NES,bumpers with the SNES, analog with the N64)

Still they ended up making the best controller ever from that.

Valve is pushing things further too lol.

NightDragon83 said:
Somebody really needs to drill the mantra of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" into Nintendo's thick skull. Purposely changing essential features of your console like the controller just for the sake of being different from the competition is pointless in this day and age. It would be like someone coming out with a keyboard that is laid out differently than the "QWERTY" standard... sure some people might prefer it, but by and large most people who use it will just be wondering why they can't simply have a normal keyboard like everyone else.

Plenty of people found Nintendo's Wii controllers to be "broke." If "broke" means deviating from the norm, then the Wii U Gamepad is less "broken" than the Wiimotes ever were. Take away the screen and you have yourself a very conventional controller. Most games don't even require you to use it in any significant way. Some don't require it at all. So for most games you can pretty much play them like any other game on another console if you choose, minus a screen tap here or a quick look at a map there. Even if I didn't like the screen being part of my gameplay, I'll take that along with all the great things it provides.

Around the Network

Well after having the gamepad, i dont think i would like to go back to traditional controllers, i mean the whole thing is so damn convenient. From ease of browsing, streaming, multitasking, off tv play, off tv streaming, local multiplayer with no split screen etc. Also not having to pause a game to select a map or weapon every 5 mins is heaven, both Sony and Microsoft are looking at ways to implement 2nd screen gaming so Nintendo are deffo on to something.

Ps i have rarely seen Wii U owners complain about the gamepad, it has been generally well received by the user, until you have actually tried it you have no idea how useful it actually is. Nintendo so far have undersold the gamepad, they need to explain its uses much clearer.

Some people love the pad and some are happy with normal controllers. Personally, I expected to love the Wii U Pro Controller and it actually is a pretty great device. I still prefer the Wii U's default controller by a long shot. It's just too awesome. Like the person above me said, Nintendo needs to educate people on what this controller can do by using real examples. Smartglass can't emulate most of what the Wii U controller can do and, while the Vita can, it just isn't standard with the PS3 or PS4. Nintendo has something really good but they just haven't made people aware, yet. It's the DS all over again. Hope it turns around like the DS, too.

Osc89 said:
Th3PANO said:

People who are complaining about the gamepad are mostly people who aren't willing to make a transition or who think it looks awkward and heavy. So it has to be awkward and heavy? The thing is the gamepad gives the Wii U it's own personality like Kinect 2 for the Xbox One.

It makes things possible we didn't have as a standard before. Typing is a dream on the Wii U compared to 360, PS3. Also navigation. The Miiverse is also another reason why the pad was a good idea. Sharing drawings is genius. Miiverse is very underrated.

Whining won't help, just stop complaining about and simply don't buy it then.

EDIT: Also it's interesting.... after Wii U almost every Console Maker intergrates a touch device on their controller, Valve, Sony, Ouya.....interesting isn't it. We wouldn't have those without Ninty ;)

It was silly of them to manage to make it look awkward and heavy despite the fact it isn't either of those things. People are used to seeing tablets like the iPad, which makes the GamePad look very cheap in comparison (despite the fact the Wii U costs roughly the same). It looks more like a LeapPad, but they are a quarter of the cost of a Wii U.

You seriously want a thintablet like controller? I don't cause it wouldn't feel right. They designed it like it is cause they wanted to make it comfortable. I don't want too hld a thin screen with some buttons for 3 hours.

NightDragon83 said:

The problem is Nintendo has to be different. They can't afford to make only a powerful system that's like Sony's or Microsoft's. They need something that makes them unique.

Also the changes Nintendo makes to their controllers influenced console gaming a lot. Nintendo brought the D-Pad. Nintendo brought the shoulder buttons. Nintendo brought the 4 button layout. Nintendo brought rumble. Nintendo brought the first analog thumbstick that worked well. Nintendo brought the first physical motion controls to consoles. Nintendo brought the first touch device on a controller. And everybody (besides MS) is copying them already. Sony made 18 years the same freaking controller. MS still does it. Only improving some things (like the Xbox D-Pad).

EDIT: Sega was in it's own league. They innovated with Nintendo when it comes to controllers. They didn't react all the time.

Th3PANO said:
Osc89 said:
Th3PANO said:

People who are complaining about the gamepad are mostly people who aren't willing to make a transition or who think it looks awkward and heavy. So it has to be awkward and heavy? The thing is the gamepad gives the Wii U it's own personality like Kinect 2 for the Xbox One.

It makes things possible we didn't have as a standard before. Typing is a dream on the Wii U compared to 360, PS3. Also navigation. The Miiverse is also another reason why the pad was a good idea. Sharing drawings is genius. Miiverse is very underrated.

Whining won't help, just stop complaining about and simply don't buy it then.

EDIT: Also it's interesting.... after Wii U almost every Console Maker intergrates a touch device on their controller, Valve, Sony, Ouya.....interesting isn't it. We wouldn't have those without Ninty ;)

It was silly of them to manage to make it look awkward and heavy despite the fact it isn't either of those things. People are used to seeing tablets like the iPad, which makes the GamePad look very cheap in comparison (despite the fact the Wii U costs roughly the same). It looks more like a LeapPad, but they are a quarter of the cost of a Wii U.

You seriously want a thintablet like controller? I don't cause it wouldn't feel right. They designed it like it is cause they wanted to make it comfortable. I don't want too hld a thin screen with some buttons for 3 hours.

No I don't. I think it feels just right, but I was surprised by that seeing as it doesn't look right.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89