By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Wii U DOESN'T need the tablet

Somini said:

The controller may very well be the reason why the console is selling as much as it is doing. Very awkward to hold in your hands.

Have you actually held it in your hand? You might have a point and i do think they should redesign it to be smaller, but when its in your hand its not has daunting as it looks.

Around the Network
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
The Wiiu doesnt have a tablet. It doesnt function like one nor is it have any tech in it that denotes tablet. Its a GamePad. Referring to it as a tablet gives the wrong impression

It's a tablet.

Anyways, the thing is, Nintendo DOESN'T give us a choice, and that's one thing as a consumer that I value, CHOICE. 

Daisuke72 said:

Literally eveyone I know either owns an Android or Apple device in their household. If you're a gamer there's no reason why you shouldn't have a smartphone/tablet at the very least. So why not just do what Microsoft and Sony are doing for second screen experiences? The Wii U tablet is contributing a LARGE cost to the console, I mean without it the Wii U would be around $200 - $250 and even I would buy one in a heartbeat. 

It's kinda like how Microsoft includes Kinect in every box, to ensure that every game or at least most will utilize it, but a LOT of gamer's don't find the worth in Kinect nor the Gamepad. I would rather play games the conveintenal way if it means I have to spend an additional $50 - $100 to play it more immersively or whatever. I have yet to see anything on the Gamepad or Kinect 2 o PSEYE that makes me want one, UNTIL something blows me away I'll never use them, at all.

But honestly the Gamepad could've been optional because not a lot of people will use it. The Wii U would be in a much better situation if you ask me. The Playstation App and Smartglass APP have all the capabilities the Gamepad has except it doesn't have physical analogs and there might be worse lag and a couple of other gimmick features. 

The Wii U should've been a Wii with HD Graphics, better motion gaming, and some other innovation cause honestly, the gamepad thing was TOO easy for it's competitors to copy. Also, the reason why the Wii took off like it did because Motion gaming was COMPLETELY new when it came out, something that was mindblowing to even casuals and non-gamers. The Gamepad is just a tablet and tons of people have Tablets and smartphones and whatnot, in my opinion the Gamepad hurts the system just as much as the Wii U looking EXACTLY like the Wii. Like really....that was just a terrible idea. 

We have a Wii U along with PS3, Xbox 360, 3Ds, Vita etc...  In our opionion, the Game Pad is the Wii U's greatest strength.  We think it's a great controller with a great screen.  Two player games are so much better with no spit screen or screen peeking.  Also, the Game Pad is made for the system.  They communicate with each other exactly how they should.  You will not see any tablet that's not made for the system work nearly as well as the Game Pad does.

Stop hating and start playing.

No it is not. Tablets are flat. They have processors in them. They're portable outside your house. They're mostly touch based. Its a similar but largely different dynamic.

And Nintendo gives you choice. But they built the device around this core concept. It shows. Just use the thing in your home and you'll understand

Nem said:
Somini said:

The controller may very well be the reason why the console is selling as much as it is doing. Very awkward to hold in your hands.

Have you actually held it in your hand? You might have a point and i do think they should redesign it to be smaller, but when its in your hand its not has daunting as it looks.

Yes i've tried it. It's not bad, cause i'm used to tablets by now, i love may Nexus 7 :D, but it's just not comfortable for playing hours and hours.

Well, maybe i'm too extreme haha!

Around the Network

I like it the way it is. Its not cumbersome to hold. In fact its not much heavier than a normal controller. Fits my hands nicely. usually with normal controllers my hands cramp up from having to squeeze everything so close together.

If Wii U carried the Sony name, many people against it would love it.
If PS4 carried the Nintendo name, it would be garbage

The only difference in the PS4 controller and Wii controller is the size of the touchpad but the smaller one is some how a revolution while the larger is useless. I don't get that at all either. Like an adult can do a lot on that tiny touchpad.

Also tablets do not have buttons or analog sticks. they cant be used a controller the way the Wii U pad is.
Go back 5 years and tablets and phones were useless for gaming on many sites. Now that Wii U combines aspects of both, people want to act like tablets are just as good as any controller with no buttons.
Looking down at the screen kills immersion and will get you killed but grabbing your phone and trying to hold it and the controller at the same time wont cause any problems at all.

Its just more proof that a certain segment will use any excuse to hate a product that doesn't come from their company but will love an inferior idea if their company does it.

Daisuke72 said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
The Wiiu doesnt have a tablet. It doesnt function like one nor is it have any tech in it that denotes tablet. Its a GamePad. Referring to it as a tablet gives the wrong impression

It's a tablet.

Anyways, the thing is, Nintendo DOESN'T give us a choice, and that's one thing as a consumer that I value, CHOICE. 

Yes what with the pro controller, wii remotes, Classic controllers. it just sucks not having any option other than the Gamepad..../s

I see your knowledge is either lacking or you just want to hate just to be hating

Yes... Lets have All 3 consoles be virtually the same why dont we? :/

Nintendo is always known for doing something out of the ordinary, and sometimes they strike gold and sometimes they dont. That shouldn't mean its bad for them for doing so, lets just wait and see how it turns out

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Somini said:
Nem said:
Somini said:

Yes i've tried it. It's not bad, cause i'm used to tablets by now, i love may Nexus 7 :D, but it's just not comfortable for playing hours and hours.

You probably tried the kiosk that has added weight and probably not for hours and hours either. Could be wrong but I just dont see how anyone can make that claim if they tried it in someones home. Unless you had your mind made up long before you ever touched it

ListerOfSmeg said:
Somini said:
Nem said:
Somini said:

You probably tried the kiosk that has added weight and probably not for hours and hours either. Could be wrong but I just dont see how anyone can make that claim if they tried it in someones home. Unless you had your mind made up long before you ever touched it

Your tone doesn't give me the impressin like you'd be open to hear anything different that what you're already telling yourself, but i'll give it a try;

I haven't tried it in a shop, since i haven't seen one yet, live in Holland. I tried at the house of a friend who goes gaga overy everything Nintendo. I didn't hate it or anything, i just didn't like it that much. And no, i wasn't sure of anything.

Actually i was very excited to try it as i had just seen the unboxing video by Iwata and the way he handled it, made it look very elegant to me. I was hyped i guess. But i just discovered that it's not a console for me, and no not just from that one time.

I might even get it one day lol. It's just that the tablet controller is the least appealing feature of the console in my opinion.