By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Zelda sacrifice its artistic integrity for the sake of greater sales?

Tagged games:

Is greater sales potential alone justification enough to determine the artistic style of the next Zelda game?

Yes 40 22.60%

No 110 62.15%

See Results 27 15.25%

Total:177
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

You don't need to focus solely on them to appeal to them though. 

Thats subjective. Not my point. I never said Nintendo couldn't appeal to them.

You said Nintendo "didn't give a damn" about the over 20s market. I contend that they do give a damn, as a lot of the fanbase they cater to is over 20.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

You said Nintendo "didn't give a damn" about the over 20s market. I contend that they do give a damn, as a lot of the fanbase they cater to is over 20.

Nintendo does not make 17+ and rated games over that. Its generally third party. Technically the majority of gamers who grew up on Nintendo are most likely in their mid twenties to thirties.  Problem therein is I believe they jumped ship. Half of the reason for that is because Nintendo doesn't continue to try to appeal to them. Nintendo is a videogame translation of Disney and much like Nintendo marketwise they are scrambling to broaden their audience. Does it bother you that Nintendo finally found it reasonable to fund a mature rated second party game? Disney has been making the same moves with Star Wars and Marvel using Mature IP's.

I would be kool with this, I've also never finished a Zelda game but thats more because I usually get bored of them. I'm not saying Id rush out and buy it if they did, I'm just saying it would be more appealing to me.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo does not make 17+ and rated games over that. Its generally third party. Technically the majority of gamers who grew up on Nintendo are most likely in their mid twenties to thirties.  Problem therein is I believe they jumped ship. Half of the reason for that is because Nintendo doesn't continue to try to appeal to them. Nintendo is a videogame translation of Disney and much like Nintendo marketwise they are scrambling to broaden their audience. Does it bother you that Nintendo finally found it reasonable to fund a mature rated second party game? Disney has been making the same moves with Star Wars and Marvel using Mature IP's.

I can dig the Nintendo/Disney comparison. Only because Pixar is a thing.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

Do you remember the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" ad campaign? That was clearly targeted towards kids and teenagers and the game was M rated. Some publishers clearly don't care about ratings and they know kids represent and big group of their market.

One would've thought that it would stop moms from buying it for their kids. Ironic, eh?? Mind you they targeted suburban mothers in a conservative place.

No it didn't. It's cool to go against what your parents want. These ads emphasized that, it gave a reason (a stupid one at that) for kids and teenagers to want this game more. If the kid's mom didn't watched it, the kid would still get the game, and there's a chance the kid would still get the game even if his mom watched the ad.

But ok, if the ad stopped the mom from getting the game, that doesn't stop the kid or teenager from getting it, just like drugs, kids and teenagers find ways to get games without their parents knowing, it's not that hard, especially if you can download the game online.  

But in any case this isn't about the kid or teenager getting the game or not, is EA doing a marketing campaign towards kids, and like I said before, they know this kids represent a big group of today's gaming market.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

I can dig the Nintendo/Disney comparison. Only because Pixar is a thing.

Yeah, Sony has been going for the Pixar thing. Naughty Dog and Sony were all about that after Toy Story in the mid 90's. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Spyro, Sly Cooper. They were all inspired by the 3D animation era of Pixar. Sony is like a blend of Pixar/MGM/Universal Studios with their offerings.

osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

Do you remember the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" ad campaign? That was clearly targeted towards kids and teenagers and the game was M rated. Some publishers clearly don't care about ratings and they know kids represent and big group of their market.

One would've thought that it would stop moms from buying it for their kids. Ironic, eh?? Mind you they targeted suburban mothers in a conservative place.

No it didn't. It's cool to go against what your parents want. These ads emphasized that, it gave a reason (a stupid one at that) for kids and teenagers to want this game more. If the kid's mom didn't watched it, the kid would still get the game, and there's a chance the kid would still get the game even if his mom watched the ad.

But ok, if the ad stopped the mom from getting the game, that doesn't stop the kid or teenager from getting it, just like drugs, kids and teenagers find ways to get games without their parents knowing, it's not that hard, especially if you can download the game online.  

But in any case this isn't about the kid or teenager getting the game or not, is EA doing a marketing campaign towards kids, and like I said before, they know this kids represent a big group of today's gaming market.

I just watched the behind the scenes video. They targeted suburban conservative mothers just to scare them. Most of these women mostly by the looks of it had grown up sons and daughters of their own in their twenties and thirties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri8LFci4xQ&noredirect=1

S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

I just watched the behind the scenes video. They targeted suburban conservative mothers just to scare them. Most of these women mostly by the looks of it had kids in their twenties and thirties.

Did you read what I just said? 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Nintendo isn't sacrificing the artistic integrity of the franchise by making a more realistic Zelda. Remember Ocarina of Time is realistic, and often refered to as the best video game ever made. Plus it has the highest volume of sales.

By making a more traditional Zelda (pre-wind waker, they were all more adult themed), Nintendo is just listening to the fans. Nintendo already made realistic Zelda's in the past, most of which have been very successful. Remember what gamers wanted when Gamecube was shown off and Link was fighting Gannon in a tech demo? Twilight Princess was that game, and thus it sold very well.

Nintendo should stop making more accessible games (like Wind Waker, which I felt was easier then most true Zelda's), and stick to Zelda's Roots. Make a game which appeals to those 18+. It's fine to experiment a bit, but in the end you have to listen to your fans (Make a Majora's Mask remake for 3DS!).

----

P.S. About Dark Souls, a little experimentation doesn't hurt. If they made a more accessible Dark Souls, and it sold better, then wouldn't it likely have a larger fanbase? Sales matter, they tell us how many people like a specific game, so if a more accessible Dark Sould (Wind Waker of Zelda) sold more poorly, then From Software should go back to their original formula.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

I just watched the behind the scenes video. They targeted suburban conservative mothers just to scare them. Most of these women mostly by the looks of it had kids in their twenties and thirties.

Did you read what I just said? 

I understand your point. It goes in the same list with games like God of War, Last of Us, COD, Gears of War and others of that ilk that will try to get their hands on. I agree kids will always go for what they shouldn't have. I am just talking about the type of women they focused on in particular. It would pique my interest to see what mothers in their thirties and fourties would say about this game.